• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Flintlock flash guards for competitive tournaments

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm considering entering a muzzleloading competition for the first time, next spring. I intend to shoot flintlocks exclusively but the firing lines have no shields of any kind and all NMRLA rules apply. Reading the rules, flash guards are required for all flintlock arms. I have guns with both Kibler locks and one LH L&R Queen Anne. The L&R looks to only need a longer frizzen screw to mount a standard flash guard, but Kibler's locks are designed with the frizzen screw head on the inboard side of the lock.

Before I overthink this, has anyone installed flash guards on Kibler's locks or locks of similar design, and how did you do it? Longer screw so the threads protrude and then put a small acorn nut on to retain the guard? What metal did you use, is sheet brass sufficient? If it is humid, how much of a pain is it to wipe the pan out with a guard in place?

I have a Late English lock by L&R on my Derringer replica. The L&R lock has the frizzen bolt head on the inside of the lock. I sent the lock off to Mike Lea to get the flash guard installed. He drilled the bolt hole through and tapped the hole for the hold down screw. That works well.

Derringer Lock.jpg

Not all of the flash guard additions are as easy as the addition of a flash guard to the Siler lock.

Here's a photo of my Derringer rifle and my fowling gun with its flash guard attached to a Siler lock.

LOCKS.JPG

In the above picture, you can see that the L&R lock has a blind bolt with no simple way to attach a flash guard before I sent the lock off to be modified for a flash guard.

Totw has a replacement frizzen bolt and cap nut for the siler lock that is especially designed for this. There may be others or maybe that one will work

I have a Late English lock by L&R on my Derringer replica. The L&R lock has the frizzen bolt head on the inside of the lock. I sent the lock off to Mike Lea to get the flash guard installed. He drilled the bolt hole through and tapped the hole for the hold down screw. That works well.

View attachment 267672

Not all of the flash guard additions are as easy as the addition of a flash guard to the Siler lock.

Here's a photo of my Derringer rifle and my fowling gun with its flash guard attached to a Siler lock.

View attachment 267676

In the above picture, you can see that the L&R lock has a blind bolt with no simple way to attach a flash guard before I sent the lock off to be modified for a flash guard.
I did the very same thing about 15 years ago with my flintlock and I will say that Mike Lea did a fabulous job. Still on the rifle, I still use it.
Squint

I have never used a shield on my guns at Friendship, or anywhere else.
The only rule I can find on use is specific to bench rest and buffalo matches.

1260–SAFETY SHIELDS All flintlock bench rifles and flintlock buffalo rifles must use a safety shield. Offhand flintlock matches fired under the covered firing line at the NMLRA range will be shot next to one of the safety shields provided.

I refuse to shoot anywhere flash guards are required. They are a modern bolt on that decreases safety.
I'm in totally agreement with you.
Once..I was invited to a SAR grave Marking ceremony that required flash guards on the guns.
No way I wasn't going to put one on for the ceremony or any other time either.
I passed.

I believe the NMLRA rule for flash guards is totally something different from what you are thinking. It is a shield that would be on a post or something on your right side to keep the shooter on your right from being sprayed by you firing or from being hit by a flint that comes out of the jaw while you are shooting.

I'm in totally agreement with you.
Once..I was invited to a SAR grave Marking ceremony that required flash guards on the guns.
No way I wasn't going to put one on for the ceremony or any other time either.
I passed.
I built a hand cannon for a friend and it's debut was at a pirate invasion in the park where all the "rules" were attempting to be followed by the ignorant staff. They were very confused trying to check the safety on a matchlock. . . For fun I put a flashguard and frizzen stall on the hand cannon. They had no clue what to do!
1394127_585076738235455_164997817_n.jpg1462909_585076541568808_1637271306_n.jpg

How do they decrease safety?
More prone to misfire and powder spillage reduce reliability. Typically a generic bolt on is not an improvement whether it's a musket or car. Other than that the NPS calls for FF powder in the pan with the flashguard installed. FF burns slower than FFFF and the pan will redirect sparks up and over a greater distance than FFFF with no flashguard installed increasing the safety distance required rather than decreasing as intended. Couple that with the added difficulty loading, increased possibility of dropped powder, and less reliability you can see why I disapprove.

I built a hand cannon for a friend and it's debut was at a pirate invasion in the park where all the "rules" were attempting to be followed by the ignorant staff. They were very confused trying to check the safety on a matchlock. . . For fun I put a flashguard and frizzen stall on the hand cannon. They had no clue what to do!
View attachment 267807View attachment 267808
That's a funny story.
However, that gun looks like a beast!

I love it.

More prone to misfire and powder spillage reduce reliability. Typically a generic bolt on is not an improvement whether it's a musket or car. Other than that the NPS calls for FF powder in the pan with the flashguard installed. FF burns slower than FFFF and the pan will redirect sparks up and over a greater distance than FFFF with no flashguard installed increasing the safety distance required rather than decreasing as intended. Couple that with the added difficulty loading, increased possibility of dropped powder, and less reliability you can see why I disapprove.
Being as how I have shot my left handed flintlock with and without the flash-guard, I am stumped. Can you explain it differently? I was not aware that I had a problem.
Squint

Being as how I have shot my left handed flintlock with and without the flash-guard, I am stumped. Can you explain it differently? I was not aware that I had a problem.
Squint
I have photos showing the difference on the computer. Next time I have it online I will try to remember to post them. Most ignore the rulling about FF but follow the flashguard rule. I wish all rules were selective but then they wouldn't be rules.

What you describe sounds more like user error and an inability to adapt.

Latest posts

Back