• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

First time out with my Flintlock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I purchased a Remington 1816 Commemorative flintlock several weeks ago. Because it never had been shot, I decided to keep it as a display and find another to shoot. Since that time, an old fellow who attended mountain man rendezvouses decided that age and health demanded that he stop those activities. I ended up buying his flintlock (the stock, at least, seems to have been made by Roy Stroh of Illinois) in 45 cal. With it came a "possibles" leather bag, a large power horn, a small horn for priming the pan, brass powder measuring tubes, period correct tools, a knife for cutting patches and other duties, a tomahawk, brass funnel, 45 cal balls, ram rod attachments, and more.

On Sunday, the Ft. Lupton, CO Muzzleloaders Club had a competitive shoot. I went just to learn to handle, load and shoot a flintlock. The people there were very helpful. It is one thing reading articles on the net, it is another to learn face-to-face.
It really was fun shooting this flintlock!!!
What I hadn't realized is that a major component of the fun is the group of "rituals" involved: pouring powder from the powder horn into a measuring device, pouring that powder down the muzzle, putting the patch on the muzzle, aligning the ball on the patch, using the short ram rod to get the ball down the barrel initially, then using the ram rod to ram it home. THEN you go up to the firing line, point the muzzle toward the target, use a second, smaller horn to put the primer in the pan, close the frizzen, lock back the cock, the fire.
Whew! I am out of breath just saying it all. :grin:
Another part of the ritual is, of course, the necessity of cleaning the barrel right away. So, I brought a gallon of soapy water to wash out the rifle at the end of shooting. I cleaned it more thoroughly at home.
I felt like a giddy kid on Christmas morning, it was so much fun.
Some of the gear that came with the rifle:
fudy.jpg

The rifle:
87g0.jpg

Ron

RonRC said:
This really could become addictive.

Ron

No could be about it! Next thing you know you'll be looking for really old style cloth and the right leather for your woods-look, trying to decide between Jedediah or Nehemiah for your next child's name and thinking you might just be able to sleep in that much snow! :wink:

Congrats. You have some fine equipment to fuel this addition. Roy Stroh is a very fine builder, he recently relocated from Georgia to Maine and is getting set up to continue his trade. Keep us posted on how it shoots.

Now that you are on the road to the dark side. Remember the first and last thing you need to know about your gun (and any black powder gun ) is to make sure you clean it, dry it, and oil it!. Now you need to get all of the clothing, tent, rain fly, camp kitchen etc. to have a real camp and then you may never turn back! This is where you are headed

But if you also add an ice cream freezer you won't camp alone.

Ramrod...Ithink you should make a donation to the "Fullfill a wish for Bryon" foundation.....*crosses fingers and wishes for a nice teepee....:)

Hmmm :hmm: , Looks like I need to get some friends together and pull a old time Southern Rebel raid on that camp, it looks too neat, getting the ice cream might be a tough fight though :grin: .

Thank you all for the fine welcome and comments!

Today, I am going to take the flintlock out to the outdoor range I belong to. I really have the itch to shoot this rifle again.
There was a post about naming my next child Jedediah or Nehemiah. For the record, with me in my mid-60s, my next child's name will be "Whoops!". :grin:
I may have overstated my thought that the rifle, at least the stock, was perhaps made by Stroh. All I knew was that the rifle maker was, at one time, from Illinois. So, I went to internet sites for muzzleloader builders in Illinois. On Stroh's site there were some that really looked like mine, particularly with identical wood engraving, as sparse as it is on my rifle.
Buying the Remington 1816 Commemorative and this other flintlock was possible when I sold one of my Bluegrass banjos. To my banjo friends, this is sacrilege. :shake: I am certain that to muzzleloader shooters, the sale and resulting purchase makes perfect sense. :)
Here are some photos of the "Remington":
1jw3.jpg

0iv9.jpg

kp5c.jpg

sezm.jpg

uyli.jpg

Ron

That is a lovely rifle but I have a question about how well that trigger-guard fits your hand. I have fairly large hands and have a near twin of your trigger guard on my Lancaster. Feels "full" on off-hand shooting and when bench-rested is too much for me to get a thumb comfortably on the wrist of the stock. Your comments please. TIA, baxter

Baxter,
My hands are relatively small, so it doesn't seem to be an issue when I hold it, but I haven't shot it. Also, this commemorative looks like it has never been shot by the fellow who had it before me, so I plan to make it just a showpiece and shoot the other, well-used flintlock in the earlier post.
I could change my mind on not shooting the commemorative as I'm not much for show pieces, but it looks so nice now, and I have the other rifle, the decision can be made later.
Thanks,
Ron

Back