• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Colonial .54 touch hole

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike in FL

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Thanks to all who kept me going in the assembly 54. Colonial. Because of you, I didn't screw it up. Anyway, during assembly, I drilled the y touch hole to 1/16. I went so far as to measure the drill bit with calipers to make sure it was 1/16. Anyway, I've been shooting that gorgeous gun a lot. I never close the frizzen over the pan when loading, but my last time out I inadvertently did. After loading I opened the frizzen to prime and found the pan full of 3F. I suppose it was forced out by ramming the PRB home. So I purposely closed it on each subsequent loading and learned that it always happens. I hate to switch to 2F because I ain't got any but do have an abundant amount of 3F. So I have to put a toothpick in the hole now to keep from losing some of my carefully measured main charge which adds another step.
Anyone else notice that spillage? Any suggestions?.

Thanks to all who kept me going in the assembly 54. Colonial. Because of you, I didn't screw it up. Anyway, during assembly, I drilled the y touch hole to 1/16. I went so far as to measure the drill bit with calipers to make sure it was 1/16. Anyway, I've been shooting that gorgeous gun a lot. I never close the frizzen over the pan when loading, but my last time out I inadvertently did. After loading I opened the frizzen to prime and found the pan full of 3F. I suppose it was forced out by ramming the PRB home. So I purposely closed it on each subsequent loading and learned that it always happens. I hate to switch to 2F because I ain't got any but do have an abundant amount of 3F. So I have to put a toothpick in the hole now to keep from losing some of my carefully measured main charge which adds another step.
Anyone else notice that spillage? Any suggestions?.
I thought about just sticking a crow feather in my hat to use in the touch hole. .That way at least it would be handy.

I did not know that Kibler kits required drilling the touch holes - I thought that was all completed when you purchase them ? I am confused 🫤…my 2 kits have a liner installed all done ….at least I thought - I have watched about 20 hours of Mr Kibler videos and never saw him do such a thing

Last edited:
I did not know that Kibler kits required drilling the touch holes - I thought that was all completed when you purchase them ? I am confused 🫤…my 2 kits have a liner installed all done ….at least I thought - I have watched about 20 hours of Mr Kibler videos and never saw him do such a thing
Most people prefer to drill out the existing hole to 1/16" for more dependable ignition.

does Mr Kibler know this possible defect in his rifles ? I reviewed his instructions and don’t see this .
You have watched about 20 hours of Mr Kibler videos, but how many actual shots have you put through your Kibler guns? What kind of results have you gotten? Are you satisfied? These are kits and finishing and final details are up to the builder/buyer of the kit. Actual diameter of the touchhole is a personal thing for many, and opinions as to ‘best’ size vary. Enlarging a touchhole one believes is too small is much easier and less complicated that reducing the diameter of one that is too large.

You have watched about 20 hours of Mr Kibler videos, but how many actual shots have you put through your Kibler guns? What kind of results have you gotten? Are you satisfied? These are kits and finishing and final details are up to the builder/buyer of the kit. Actual diameter of the touchhole is a personal thing for many, and opinions as to ‘best’ size vary. Enlarging a touchhole one believes is too small is much easier and less complicated that reducing the diameter of one that is too large.
Ignition has been fine for about 50 shots thru one rifle and only around 10 in another … I am no expert and just want to learn what’s best , these small number of shots is in no way is a good sample size .

Thank you sir , does Mr Kibler know this possible defect in his rifles ? I reviewed his instructions and don’t see this .
It isn’t a defect.
Most liners are made with a minimum size touch hole. It is up to the operator to size it to his preference. If you are happy with it as is, don't drill it.

Last edited:
I am betting you are using Swiss 3F as your main charge. I have had that happen frequently with Swiss, but not Goex. Even though both are 3F, I find the Swiss to be finer.

Just plug it in as far as you want and load. Then remove it. The powder won't run out. If I push it in too far, I pick a little prime in the hole.

Latest posts

Back