• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Shooting a flintlock for the first time ever today

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Other than a couple little spots I need to touch up with some oil I finished my SMR last night and now I'm just waiting for the mail lady to deliver my case from Unique and then I'm gonna head out and shoot it. This will be my first time ever shooting my own build and first time ever shooting a flintlock. I'm not gonna fuss with load development or really tinker with sighting it in, I'm just gonna set up some cans, maybe shoot this month's online challenge, and just have some fun shooting from the bag. I'll get in on some bags on a bench later but today I just want to enjoy the process of shooting a flintlock.
I've got the powder horn full, I made a antler short starter and a patch knife, my bag is loaded up with .311 balls, .018 pillow ticking, all the ramrod accessories, couple spare flints, vent pick and powder measure. I've got eye and ear protection as well as cleaning patches. I made a 15 grain antler powder measure and plan just shoot 15 all afternoon.

Am I missing anything? Any tips or tricks you guys have for a first time shooter?
20230426_200014.jpg

A note pad and pencil, something to tighten/loosen the cock screw for flint change, knapping hammer, ball puller, don't go to the range without one, patch lube, foweling scraper.
Larry
Larry,
Thanks for the reminder on the screw driver for the cock screw. I've got everything else you mentioned loaded up and will go add a screw driver.

Other than a couple little spots I need to touch up with some oil I finished my SMR last night and now I'm just waiting for the mail lady to deliver my case from Unique and then I'm gonna head out and shoot it. This will be my first time ever shooting my own build and first time ever shooting a flintlock. I'm not gonna fuss with load development or really tinker with sighting it in, I'm just gonna set up some cans, maybe shoot this month's online challenge, and just have some fun shooting from the bag. I'll get in on some bags on a bench later but today I just want to enjoy the process of shooting a flintlock.
I've got the powder horn full, I made a antler short starter and a patch knife, my bag is loaded up with .311 balls, .018 pillow ticking, all the ramrod accessories, couple spare flints, vent pick and powder measure. I've got eye and ear protection as well as cleaning patches. I made a 15 grain antler powder measure and plan just shoot 15 all afternoon.

Am I missing anything? Any tips or tricks you guys have for a first time shooter?View attachment 217969
Just be careful and have fun . Shoot and group it at 25 yards at first and get it dialed in for windage esp . If you havr a miss fire or failure to fire just sit it down and wait a few ... Same with flash in pan , just give it a sec or two , they will bite you sometimes ....Have fun with it . Let us know how you did .

First and foremost, it was really fun to shoot a flintlock. I set up a target and a couple cans at 25 yards. Couldn't hit the cans for manure and was all over the target. In my defense I've never been a good shot with a gun and other than plinking chipmunks with a bb gun in the backyard I never shoot iron sights nor do I ever shoot freehand
20230427_164207.jpg
. Any tips on making the front sight easier to see? The light colored front sight is basically just a blur when I look down the barrel with or without my glasses on. I'm thinking of hitting with Jax or black nail polish to help it stand out. I also found out that I suffer from "flintlock flinch" so I'll need to work on that. I had a couple misfires but fixed it by flipping the flint over but overall the rifle performed great and once I get over some operator errors it should be a tack driver.

You are doing real well as it is. Lotsa promise shown here. You took the plunge and have done well. Just keep going. Yeah, there's always lots to learn. And it all takes time. Time #1 - just go do it. Shoot lots. Get the practice. Front sight - yeah we all have that issue. So=me folks put finger nail polish on the sight others have switched to iron. The shiny tends to blur out the blade. You won't hear this often but we lea The flinch will go away in time. Try a FULL follow thru from the bench. Goal - see the front sight still on the target AFTER the shot leaves the barrel. DO keep four face on the stock the whole way. When you get that under control goto 25 and do it offhand.
We learned and were taught in Paris Island, and onward in competitive learning - that your EYE IS the rear sight. Focus hard on that sight and press the trigger. Don't take forever trying to get the perfect picture. Don't put the rifle down till after the smoke clears. Yeah, sounds weird but that's the way learning goes. Take your time. Learn how to make that ONE shot. Then keep going.
There are TUNNS of threads in the forum search with a million versions. But, it IS all marksmanship. Sight alignment, breath control, trigger press.
Importantly, have fun at this.

Target.......When I started loosing focus on the target ,I began using orange 2" duct tape on the backs of target paper. That alone helped me to see the target bull spot for another 20 yrs.. Now it's a cobbled up peep sight on my .50 long rifle.. Shooting m/l flint locks , keeps you in practice for modern unmentionable guns , too. Shooting , is shooting. The more you do , the better you get. So , have at it................oldwood

Am I missing anything? Any tips or tricks you guys have for a first time shooter?View attachment 217969
Rifle looks great! Sorry if I missed something but what are you using the Unique for? I could be totally wrong but I thought they only made smokeless powder. I just wanted to be safer rather than sorry! (and not ask).

Rifle looks great! Sorry if I missed something but what are you using the Unique for? I could be totally wrong but I thought they only made smokeless powder. I just wanted to be safer rather than sorry! (and not ask).
Unique as in forum sponsor Unique Gun Cases. Unique's 62 inch ML case is the bee's knee's. I really like the shoulder strap and range rod pocket they have on them.

If your rear sight has a tiny V notch, you should be able to improve the front sight visibility and sight picture if you change the rear a very narrow Square notch... with the smallest file you can get your hands on.

Back