• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

First time flintlock build

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmm. New here too in the same boat as the OP.

I simply want this to hang on my wall and talk about how I built it : ) Id also love to shoot it, ultimate test and trust in my hands!

I just bought a Traditions kit of the Kentucky Rifle (Percussion). From stuff I've built in the past which I had little to no idea about, I've simply googled or youtubed it and it has usually turned out well. I see you guys mentioning reading books, I'm sure the more the better, but with these kits that are fully assembled, is the reading actually necessary?

Id think it's a drop in kit, with maybe some filing, along with staining the wood and barrel. But I can't imagine how reading a book more than following instructions would be helpful in this case?

I had thought about buying the gun fully made as it was only ~$70 more, but, seeing how easy it looks to simply drop and screw in, I figured why not. Am I far off?

Also anyone else here from Kentucky?

Reading helps allot, it's the history and methods not mentioned in the so called manufacturer directions that count. The people who based their living off these rifles have poured a tremendous amount of knowledge into these books for a reason. For example, I to am building a traditions kit... It's more or less a filler kit until I start working on my much more extensive buuld. Yes I could have slapped the parts together as the directions state but however, what I have done is completely re-work a production rifle kit with many flaws into what I'm proud to call a thing of beauty. All this from taking the time to study the manuals and techniques written by the great craftsman of the day. Never underestimate the power of written knowledge, this hobby thrives on it like experience. :hatsoff:

Can you cite aome examples of the rework? Id like to get all of my practice out of the way before getting a more expensive kit

http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/293249/

Even these kits are not a part A to part B kit... In all seriousness to produce a good rifle you will do much more work than you think. Barrel inleting, lock inleting, trigger, metal work and MUCH more. Again, highly recommend purchasing a good reference before you even start. Im sure many will agree that's smart advice. :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
The Traditions kit you bought doesn't require any book reading although the books will explain how to finish the barrel and wood so it comes out looking like it should. No. I'm not saying your build needs improving but the knowledge gained with a little book reading can be useful.

As for building one of the guns offered by Track of the Wolf, Pecatonica River, Chambers etc, those are far from the kit you built.

They consist of a box of rough cast parts, a unfinished barrel, often without even a breech plug installed, a working but unfinished lock and a roughed out stock blank with the barrel channel roughed in and the ramrod hole drilled.

There are no screw holes drilled or threaded.
There are no sight dovetails or barrel underlugs on the barrel to hold it into the stock.
The stock always has a LOT more wood on it than any finished gun should have so it always needs reshaping.

In other words, it is just a box of raw material that can be shaped and fitted into a nice rifle.

Because so little is done, these kits will require at least 120 hours and more often 180 hours to build.

It is these "boxes of parts" kits that the builder might buy where having and reading one or several books will be almost mandatory.

Sure, one of these kits can be built without the book(s) but I can say that rarely will the gun turn out like it could or should without the knowledge learned from reading.

Zonie is spot on, the kit certainly doesn't require any extra work to make a fully functional rifle. Yet, taking the extra time in paying attention to certain details will definitely yield a higher quality rifle and you'll also learn many transferable skills that will carry on into your next builds. Reading is also good for ya! :) Good luck with the build, there certainly is allot of great help and advice on this forum! :thumbsup:

Zonie's right ... my first build went sort of like this:

bought a Track of the Wolf "kit" (i.e. collection of rough parts) in about July, intending a Christmas gift.
Realized I was in over my head in July, and bought the book
Read the book in August
finished the rifle in mid December

without the book, it would have been a complete disaster, and would probably be still sitting in a box in the basement.

these aren't the know-it-all, condescending textbooks that we get in school, but rather really informative and usually pretty well written books with the intention of making us not 'book smart,' but 'hand- smart.'

good luck with your build, and
Make good smoke!
:grin:

Gotcha. I think the confusion here is that people dont realize the extent of pre cut or pre made my kit is.

So ive read about differing experiences. One article i read the guy said it was seriously assemble and stain. Obviously there have been different experiences.

Also, im.noticing not requirement for FFL, if i was to ever sell this gun, is there ever a need for an FFL or any kind of tracking? I reside in kentucky.

I'm very detailed when it comes to building my rifles, I will intentionally go that extra mile to produce a fine rifle. Again, you CAN build this rifle as is and it will function as designed. However, the rifle will lack the subtle details and quality of work you would get from a much more extensive build. Don't get confused about the quality of your kit as it stands... That comes, again with reading and studying reference materials and pictures. You can take the parts and enhance the fit and finish all by hand as has been done for decades! :hatsoff:

And you will not have to mess with any FFL paperwork for a muzzleloading firearm.

ML's made before late 1800's or re-productions are not classed as firearms by Fed. gov't. UPS or Fed X will take them.....Tom

Federally, no. Some cities and states (NJ, IL, HI, NY, etc.) have additional requirements though.

Regarding shipping; it depends on where you live and or are shipping from and to, or with whom you are transacting (see above). For instance; people that are barred from owning cartridge type guns generally are ineligible to own BP stuff too.

It's always prudent to check the regs before you do something. That's a cheaper form of education than a criminal defense attorney will give you if you do something wrong!

Thanks for all the replies everyone. But is the "finer details" basically the fit of the gun into the wood stock? I see people talking about the "finer details" i'm just wondering what this is in reference to.

Those items are basically a standard, again that's why you need to purchase a good book! :grin: Finer details will vary from builder to builder from my observations. Some things that jump out to me right away are wood and metal fitment across the board. Example would be your traditions kit and let's say... the butt plate... Does it fit on the pre-carved stock from the factory? Probably so, however, let's take it a step further! Is the fit clean? As in, wood to metal fit? No gaps? Smooth lines and transitions from the buttplate to the stock? I know mine was not. Yet, I again could have proceeded to complete the kit without doing any work to this area, that's a finer deatil. Shaping the stock is a big one IMO, I myself want the rifle to flow from one end to the other and be visually appealing to the eyes without harsh transitions or blocky square lock panels... I want my rifle to shy away from the straight lines left from the pre-carving process at the factory, I see this as something done from a "machine" and I'm trying to fix that by working the entire stock by hand to reflect my work and pride. I could go on and on for hours! Building even a traditions kit there should be a great deal of satisfaction in turning that box of parts into a one of a kind rifle, built by you! :hatsoff:

MSW said:
Zonie's right ... my first build went sort of like this:

bought a Track of the Wolf "kit" (i.e. collection of rough parts) in about July, intending a Christmas gift.
Realized I was in over my head in July, and bought the book
Read the book in August
finished the rifle in mid December

without the book, it would have been a complete disaster, and would probably be still sitting in a box in the basement.

these aren't the know-it-all, condescending textbooks that we get in school, but rather really informative and usually pretty well written books with the intention of making us not 'book smart,' but 'hand- smart.'

good luck with your build, and
Make good smoke!
:grin:

which book would you recommend?

Gotcha. I may be crazy here, and ill find out. But if its just wood stock, isnt sandpaper and file really yhe only thing you need?

I did refinish an AK stock. Hence my transition to.muzzleloader which has more wood to mess with : )

Don't be fooled......all muzzleloader builders are 'tool junkies'..... :rotf:
Files rasps coping saws jewelers saws chisels gouges etc"....

So we have all these tools.....so we build.... :slap:

Marc n tomtom

+1 to that!!! Claycow, you'll find that beautiful wood work and finish is an absolute with these rifles. Think artwork... AK wood versus good quality wood is night and day! :grin:

Wow i received my kit. I didnt expected it to literally be like a "kit". Almost reminds me of a toy. Kinda crazy how simple it is, simple enough to piece together.

I now see this "fit and finish" you guys were alking about. The end piece on the buttplate though flush, the wood on either side(looking straight down the buttstock) is wider. Also i broke off a tiny piece of wood in the chamber...going to email them to make sure its ok.

Looks like i may need to buy the book. If the buttstock is not the right width i want, will some knowledge and sandpaper be all i need?

Back