• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

No new builds

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reddogge

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I promised my wife no new rifle builds, ever. I have 5 rifles and one smoothbore I built in the safe now so she has a point. But I have an Ithaca Hawken I built from their kit in 1978 that I've never been pleased with and am thinking of doing a re-build on it. She never said anything about re-builds. It is walnut stocked, German silver escutcheons, pewter nose cap, .50. I prefer plain maple for Hawkens anyway so a new maple plank would be in order and I could shorten the pull which is too long and the lock moldings aren't right. Replace with iron escutcheons and nose cap probably from The Hawken Shop. Maybe rebore and rerifle to .54. It would be a fun project for me and wouldn't break the bank. Be like having a new rifle. The cheaper version would be to reshape the lock moldings and maybe shorten the pull and leave the caliber alone. Decisions, decisions.

Ithaca Hawken.JPG

I promised my wife no new rifle builds, ever. I have 5 rifles and one smoothbore I built in the safe now so she has a point. But I have an Ithaca Hawken I built from their kit in 1978 that I've never been pleased with and am thinking of doing a re-build on it. She never said anything about re-builds. It is walnut stocked, German silver escutcheons, pewter nose cap, .50. I prefer plain maple for Hawkens anyway so a new maple plank would be in order and I could shorten the pull which is too long and the lock moldings aren't right. Replace with iron escutcheons and nose cap probably from The Hawken Shop. Maybe rebore and rerifle to .54. It would be a fun project for me and wouldn't break the bank. Be like having a new rifle. The cheaper version would be to reshape the lock moldings and maybe shorten the pull and leave the caliber alone. Decisions, decisions.

View attachment 269425
Look fine to me! Why tamper with a nice thing? It's beautiful!

The other thought is I can order a new blank, buttplate, escutcheons, and nose cap, make a new toe plate, and restock it but keep the old stock intact. Might be a fun project.

Keep it and rework the lock panels. Shorten the pull to fit you. Then buy the parts to build something you've been wanting to build for years. That makes it an old build, not a new one.
Yes, I'm kind of leaning in that direction. I may leave the pull alone since it would affect the height of the stock at the buttplate and may look funny. The new build probably will never happen. Too old and I shoot mainly flintlocks these days. I do love the look of a plain maple stocked Hawken though.

If I can solve the tang problem, by putting a new tang into the maple stock so it accepts the patent hooked breech of the barrel I may just go and do a new stock. It would allow me to have two complete stocks for it and switch them by removing the wedges. Rough cost-$180 with a few parts I'll have to make.

I'm lucky, the little woman never says anything about any guns, muzzleloading or otherwise. Leaves me to my own devices. Bills are paid and we are comfortable, so I don't bother her if she wants something, and she doesn't bother me if I do.

Never understood why women feel the need to limit stuff like that. Try telling her she doesn't need that new pair of shoes, or another purse, or she doesn't need to catch that sale at her favorite store. See how well that goes over .

Latest posts

Back