• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Kit v. Factory

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Show me a factory cva hawken this sweet. This is why my kits fetch premium.
1000007343.jpg

1000007344.jpg

Last edited:
While it's not necessary to polish unfinished steel furniture to this extent, I wanted to try it just once on a GPR .54 kit. As others have commented, there's personal value to setting goals then achieving them. I suppose that would be even more important to those with more skills & can create a masterpiece from blank stock & steel.

Attachments

• 20210118_151531.jpg
    20210118_151531.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 20210128_190659.jpg
    20210128_190659.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Yep, in addition to the various grades of Vent picks, RB moulds; Patch knives; Flint and Tool wallets; hand made Powder measures (PMs)... (thank you Lord for Charlton Heston and Lamb shank bones worthy of PM making) all manner of Jags, Ramrods; Possible pouches; Shooting bags (each ML has to have its own) various shaped Hawks and their hand made blade covers; and general "Foo Foraah".

Psssst, can anyone recommend a covert supplier for inflatable Victoria Racimo ("Running Moon") facsimiles ?
I live in the boondocks with my cats. Been battling depression most of my life and getting back into this hobby after 6 years has me the happiest I’ve been in a log time. I have a room that my War Room, Man Cave, Gun Room and Shop. It’s really good to be back in it. Have a television and DVD player on my work bench. This is what I’m watching as I putter! Daniel got me started down this road when I was a wee lad and television was Black and White!👍🤣👍

Attachments

• IMG_1870.jpeg
    IMG_1870.jpeg
    169.3 KB · Views: 0
I'd guess the attraction of a kit is the challenge of building it and the pride of "building" something tailored to your liking. It would be fun to try but the skill and tools needed are beyond me. For me, I want a shooter and would rather tinker with load development and the mechanics of a gun than fit and finish. The historical background of these guns is a big plus. But whatever makes you happy, go for it.

Something is peeling. I will try to post a pic later or this weekend.
I've got an old CVA
32 Pioneer pistol with a browned barrel. It was also peeling. Mine kind of looks like someone before me sprayed a clear coat of some kind on it. Got rid of that and now it looks fine. I think they sprayed the whole gun with it. I'm guessing to make the pictures look better on GunBroker.

There is another answer. I love scouring the internet and pawn shops for CHEAP kits. Example: I bought a new in box Lyman GPR kit for $175 down in south Texas. Fun build, beautiful wood [much to remove], light finish as my wife prefers and a really nice browning job using Laurel Mountain Forge Browner and degreaser [their directions precisely] Total investment about $225. That's how/why I like/hunt for kits. No, not for sale. Polecat 🦨

I
There is another answer. I love scouring the internet and pawn shops for CHEAP kits. Example: I bought a new in box Lyman GPR kit for $175 down in south Texas. Fun build, beautiful wood [much to remove], light finish as my wife prefers and a really nice browning job using Laurel Mountain Forge Browner and degreaser [their directions precisely] Total investment about $225. That's how/why I like/hunt for kits. No, not for sale. Polecat 🦨
I am on the other end of the spectrum..... I have 3 very expensive October Country rifles that I bought complete. They are really nice and shoot great.

I have built 2 Kibler rifles that are not nearly as well put together but I really love them even the mistakes are mine and I am very proud of both rifles

I

I am on the other end of the spectrum..... I have 3 very expensive October Country rifles that I bought complete. They are really nice and shoot great.

I have built 2 Kibler rifles that are not nearly as well put together but I really love them even the mistakes are mine and I am very proud of both rifles
Yeah, I have a couple of custom rifles as well. Love 'em a lot. They are on display over my fireplace.

For some of us a kit is just a blank canvas, we take out the ugly and make something we like. I would only do this on a gun I intend to keep for myself. For someone without any basic gun building skills even a CVA kit can be a daunting task to complete, with the results often being a bit of a hack job.

Here is a TC kit example that I made into something I like. The top is stock factory TC cheekpiece, the bottom is what I did to my kit along with defining the lock panels and removing a ton of extra wood.

View attachment 316656
View attachment 316660
And here’s a guy who can turn a $500 kit into an $800 rifle…

.... But those "standard" kits - what's the deal? Why would someone pay more for one over a fully finished factory gun?
Kind of depends. Did they do anything to "improve" the factory gun? I did quite a bit of work to my factory-production Pedersoli Frontier. It's a better gun than an out-of-the-box gun. Should I get something extra for my effort if I were to sell it? I could ask, but I probably won't, because it's a "used" gun, and the prevailing viewpoint is as you've described.

I live in the boondocks with my cats. Been battling depression most of my life and getting back into this hobby after 6 years has me the happiest I’ve been in a log time. I have a room that my War Room, Man Cave, Gun Room and Shop. It’s really good to be back in it. Have a television and DVD player on my work bench. This is what I’m watching as I putter! Daniel got me started down this road when I was a wee lad and television was Black and White!👍🤣👍
You triggered a memory from decades ago. I attended a 3-week seminar held in Las Vegas. There are plenty of folks who'd say it would have been a big treat with the corporate office located there, but it was a depressing place to be. Sure, it definitely was an opportunity, but unless one is into the city's focus centre (gambling & nightlife), it can be a depressing location. During lulls in the seminar, I'd often reflect on returning home & the great group of friends I had in a muzzleoader organisation. It's amazing how black powder can seep into the bloodstream like that. As for Daniel Boone & the B/W telly, I can remember when everyone I knew did not own a television. My parents obtained our very first in early summer 1959 — a Traveller console model, black & white of course. I remember watching Fess Parker portray ol' Dan'l Boone. It was captivating! Those were indeed innocent times to be in primary school. It's very good you have such an avenue of happiness; I hope it'll continue to diminish that depression for you!

Attachments

• 20200906_063541.jpg
    20200906_063541.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Here's the problem with kits. I bought this Ithaca Hawken as a kit in 1978. It went together nicely but two things are not suited for me. The length of pull is about an inch too long and the lock moldings are too fat. I wasn't aware of these things in 1978 so I blindly put it together. I could change it but the rifle has become sort of a collectible and worth a few bucks as is.

Ithaca Hawken.JPG

Latest posts

Back