• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

first char cloth

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old Creek

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I know this aint no big thing for most folks but I was excited because the simpler something sounds the more I usually screw it up!! But.. I made my first char cloth today and tried it out with a old file and peice of chirt and wa'la it worked great. Cant wait to get my steels now and get a few days in the woods before fla gets to hot. I also threw some small peices of fungus in that was growing on the end of a yellow pine 2x12 but the peices were so small they shrunk to nothing. being as florida is real wet in general and folks have been building fires here for hundreds of years one of the fungus's here is bound to make good char. never seen horseshoe fungus but we have fungus here that grows in a horseshoe kind of shape and dries real nice so I will gather some biger peices and give it a try.
wasnt sure where to post this, hope this is ok.

creek

Cool, huh? :thumbsup: I was amazed how easy it is to do when I first started making my own.

:thumbsup:
Now try punk wood, I like it better than cloth.
Keep us posted on the fungus.

now while out n about, keep your eye open for some pitch pine, its the old pine that has died but all the saps n resins have solidified in the wood, split nice n fine it make awesome tinder n small wood to get your fire going, it smells much like turpentine if ya scrape your nail on an exposed section. I always have several pieces the size around of my thumb laying in the bottom of my bag for those damp rainy outings

Just how long could a mountain man rely on a char cloth. You would think that after at least 2 months they would be gone and you would have to go back to useing a stick.

Now that is an art, learning how to build afire by rubbing sticks.

there are many forms of rubbing sticks :wink: and many types of material that can be used after any charcloth is used up, chared punk wood comes to mind first, a bit harder to get the hang of starting but IMHO actually a better substrate for obtaing a coal to start tinder bundles, trying all the different ways to start fires and doing it in all different types of weather can be fun, also gives you many options depending on situation, if one does not work, revert to another, that fire may keep you alive someday

Creek,
You might give Spanish moss a try. I think I read a reference for its use as tinder not too long ago.

I agree, a bow drill or a hand drill do make for some enjoyable fire making once ya get the hang of it. :hatsoff:

know that shirt you been wearin for the last 6 months without a change or wash. some of that cloth is still goodnuff fer gun cleenin and makin char. just make sure ya stay upwind i=of that fire as it is gunnna STINK.

I've read alot that mountian men didn't use char cloth.I'm thinking that 2 yards of cloth ie 1 worn out shirt would give you a years worth of tinder.No one writes of useing it,no one writes about what they used fo tp or ink ect.You may find fungus i've not used it my self,have used ceder bark thats been chared like cloth and punk.I know chared cloth was used in the old days and I like it best.Use what you find comfotable.Any natural stuff that can be made to catch a spark is right.Any thing that grows wild in your area is right. :wink:

Thanks for the encouragment fellas.

TennGun
yes sir, i pick up palmetto and palm fiber ever chance i get so i'll try that as well. i keep it for birds nest but a big wad should char.
Dusty
i save all my old cloths, rags and boots, cut a peice of tounge off a old pair of boots to set my flint in.
ElNathan.
i walked by a big peice of spanish moss while checking a cane patch the other day, my first thought was pilla, my second thought was red bugs but that is a good idea, i'll try it.
Bobby
thats high on my list of skills i want to learn, bow and drill
BirdMan.
got an abundance of fat wood and always keep some handy.
LoneHunter
that is something i just heard of here on the forum and i want to try that as well.

thanks again.

creek

Being from the North East, I was told that the dried bark of a birch tree works well as a fire starter. I understand that there is a natural oil in the bark and ignites well. I have never tried it yet but plan to this summer. Good luck.Traveler

Concur re charred punk wood. I find that charred punky wood catches the spark every bit as fast as charcloth. And, it's free and is an unlimited supply where ever you go!

Now, on to bow & drill fire... or egads... hand-drill fire. I'm sweating just thinking about it!

If you attach a thong, with two thumb holes, to the top of the hand drill, you can get away with using a shorter shaft, and can apply constant pressure to the bit. (making it much easier to start a fire)

I started making my own char cloth a couple years ago. I used a common mint tin can. punched a hole in the top and put some cotton cleaning patches inside and let it cook over the campfire for a minute or so. when it stops smoking out of the hole, give it a few more seconds and remove. it's all by practice. how hot the fire is, how close the tin is to the fire. number of patches in can.

afterwords, the other trick is to find DRY grass, moss, have your tinder handy. start small and work up to larger twigs and sticks.

Here, dead birch limbs/logs on the ground provide good punk and the bark has two layers; the outer layer is that paper-like white material and the inner bark is an almost leathery brown that rips easily into strips. Burns easily and well, as does the punk. Available by the "tons" up here. It is considered bad form to strip bark from a living tree. Cedar twigs burn easily and hot added to an early fire-start but cedar is not as common as birch. baxter

TraprMike said:
I started making my own char cloth a couple years ago. I used a common mint tin can. punched a hole in the top and put some cotton cleaning patches inside and let it cook over the campfire for a minute or so. when it stops smoking out of the hole, give it a few more seconds and remove. it's all by practice. how hot the fire is, how close the tin is to the fire. number of patches in can.afterwords, the other trick is to find DRY grass, moss, have your tinder handy. start small and work up to larger twigs and sticks.

I have seen it done the same way but with a all cotton Mop head from a hardware store, Makes tons and works very well.

Charred cloth is fine but it does run out and is difficult to get in the woods. I prefer the much easier to acquire charred punk wood, as my friend Kieth Burgress demonstrates in this video.
]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5f9CjH7plps

birch bark burns like crazy Just get it off downed limbs as peelin it from live trees in Michigan is illegal

Back