• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Thanks for the add!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welcome from NE Ohio, Another vote here for a Kibler, you will be starting at the top, both in form and function.
Caliber wise, I have no trouble handling .32 balls. I am 66, a life long carpenter with beat up hands, and have experienced no loading frustrations. Of course I can handle 4 penny nails too! I do have a gusseted, heart shaped shooting bag, and it is easy to pick a ball off the bottom. A .36 may be a more practical caliber for you, but for other considerations than handling ease. At least that is my experience, and I don't think I'm particularly dexterous.

Welcome from Valdosta Georgia. Doesn't sound like you are too far away. Come visit the Brushy Creek Muzzle Loaders in Lenox Georgia. Bill
Hey Bill! Thanks! We are an hour south of you, about 20 miles southwest of Lake City. I will definitely do that! Internet stalking the BCML now…

Welcome from NE Ohio, Another vote here for a Kibler, you will be starting at the top, both in form and function.
Caliber wise, I have no trouble handling .32 balls. I am 66, a life long carpenter with beat up hands, and have experienced no loading frustrations. Of course I can handle 4 penny nails too! I do have a gusseted, heart shaped shooting bag, and it is easy to pick a ball off the bottom. A .36 may be a more practical caliber for you, but for other considerations than handling ease. At least that is my experience, and I don't think I'm particularly dexterous.
Hey, thanks for the reply. At this point, I’ve decided on the Kibler. Posts like this, and watching his videos, have cemented that, especially for my first rifle. Will eventually work my way to carving my own stock, but that’s just my nature. I really enjoy building.
But to get a really nice rifle up and going, it will def be a Kibler.
Now the caliber. I was set on .32 at first, but imagine a few benefits of a .36 apart from the tiny little balls…
Not too concerned about the dexterity part. I’m in really good shape for a 60 year old. Owned a CrossFit box (gym) up until I retired and sold it. I also had a small mowing business going, as well as being worship leader for our church… I was a busy man. So I’m fairly fit. No dexterity issues. Play guitar regularly, so the fingers work pretty well. But there would seem to be a bit more “grunt” to a .36, if I wanted to shoot a slightly larger animal than a rabbit or a squirrel… the random coyote pops in to view every now and again. I’m still deciding. I still really like the idea of a .32…

You’re like in the motherland, aren’t you! I imagine there are awesome flintlocks just lying around in the streets…
LOL! Not exactly, but the heritage is deep rooted. Martin Meylin's stone gun shop is still standing here nearly 300 years after built. And there are numerous gun/sportsman's clubs with good facilities.

Still a .36 a bit more versatile and the costs are not enuff to sway me to .32, (I have had both). .32 is a bit harder to deal with loading, swiping between shots etc. due to the tiny hole and the more flimsy ramrod Kiblers likey very stout though).

KIBLER is the way to go!!!

Welcome from California.
One of the states I haven’t made it to yet. Out past Texas/Oklahoma is still virgin territory for me. Going to make it one day…
California is a lot like Florida in that everyone just pictures beaches and palm trees. I always have to say, nope, not that Florida.

Still a .36 a bit more versatile and the costs are not enuff to sway me to .32, (I have had both). .32 is a bit harder to deal with loading, swiping between shots etc. due to the tiny hole and the more flimsy ramrod Kiblers likey very stout though).

KIBLER is the way to go!!!
You’ve almost got me convinced on the .36. Starting to lean that direction. From what I’m reading, I can use it for everything I would use the .32 for, and have the benefit of a bit more grunt if I want it.
I already have a .50 inline, for deer hunting, but I wouldn’t want to try a rabbit with it. Much less a squirrel. I’m watching YouTube of flintlock squirrel hunting now… the first guys I watched were dropping every squirrel they shot at, and I thought, “That guy is a seriously good shot!” Then I realized they were shooting pellets, like a shotgun, out of a large bore something or another.

There sure is, lots of public hunting land also if you don't mind mountains.
We had the pleasure of living in West Virginia for a few years. Love the mountains, but the flat woods are much easier to navigate. Big benefit you guys have are much larger deer. Our large deer down here are considered small up that way…
Went hunting in Michigan with the in-laws. The wife’s cousin shot a “small” spike. 210 pounds of deer! Thing was YUGE! I had a friend shoot a doe down here that he literally picked up by grabbing the ears in one hand, and the tail in the other. Dressed out 22 pounds of meat, lol.

Welcome from Lake Co. an hour or two south.
I know what you mean about driving in Texas. My son explained that wide shoulder to me the first time I went out there to visit him. He told me it’s customary to pull over to let faster trucks go by. Of course everybody out there drives faster than I do. I couldn’t believe the speed limit on a 2 lane road being 75 miles an hour.
We sure love it there. You’re right about the people being friendly.

Welcome from Lake Co. an hour or two south.
I know what you mean about driving in Texas. My son explained that wide shoulder to me the first time I went out there to visit him. He told me it’s customary to pull over to let faster trucks go by. Of course everybody out there drives faster than I do. I couldn’t believe the speed limit on a 2 lane road being 75 miles an hour.
We sure love it there. You’re right about the people being friendly.
With a name like TarponStalker, I figured you’d be down on the west coast. I’m about an hour from the gulf here, but it’s flats for a long ways out. I do inshore for trout and reds, and throw a net for mullet. I’m rarely out over waist deep, lol.

On one trip I made through, Texas there was a woman who wouldn’t get over and let the line of traffic pass. After a few cars finally made it around her, the truck in front of me pulled up alongside her, and slowly eased over in to her lane, making her get over. I was like, “Oh, they train them out here.”

We had the pleasure of living in West Virginia for a few years. Love the mountains, but the flat woods are much easier to navigate. Big benefit you guys have are much larger deer. Our large deer down here are considered small up that way…
Went hunting in Michigan with the in-laws. The wife’s cousin shot a “small” spike. 210 pounds of deer! Thing was YUGE! I had a friend shoot a doe down here that he literally picked up by grabbing the ears in one hand, and the tail in the other. Dressed out 22 pounds of meat, lol.
My last deer was an AZ whitetail (Cous deer). Spike, 25's of meat. Not gonna do it again. I will shoot a three point or larger and then get about 60lbs. Mule deer? YA! I killed a huge throphy deer in the north rim of Grand Canyon and got like 150lbs boneless meat. Looked like a yearling elk! BTW I got me another Muzzleloader cow tag this year and being about out of meat will try REAL hard. Gonna have to change startagy it looks like. I like to sit water but Flagstaff had the snowiest season in recorded history last winter and there is water everywhere! Lower Lake Mary is usually dry, been ruuning over hard 2 weeks now and still going. I have lived here 55 years and have seen it over flow only 2 times before. Fishing should be good (except the skeeters). GET HEART WORM MEDS FOR YER PUPS YA"LL.

Yeah, farther north you go, bigger they get. Ours can get pretty big Here, shot a couple pushing 200lbs over the years.

Back