• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

JaS Townsend Tomahawk

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've heard of them but never did business with them yet. They do have some unique items.

Yeah, looking at the fellas site, I was taken by the fact that he uses a period workshop and tools. His axes are great looking. Of course, it is definitely on an heirloom level, whereas a Townsend will need a few decades to achieve that heirloom quality. Brings up the old argument: buy new and let it age or buy new that looks like we expect a 300 year old tool to look.

Yeah, looking at the fellas site, I was taken by the fact that he uses a period workshop and tools. His axes are great looking. Of course, it is definitely on an heirloom level, whereas a Townsend will need a few decades to achieve that heirloom quality. Brings up the old argument: buy new and let it age or buy new that looks like we expect a 300 year old tool to look.
I was looking at it a few minutes ago and some of it is out of my budget these days. But that is the price you pay for quality stuff made the old fashioned way. Anybody can push a button on a press or robot but doing it his way takes real skill. However I thought his turnscrews, flint strikers, and some of that stuff was priced reasonably cheap for what it is. Cool stuff. Might have to place an order and check him out.

Hermit Tim,
Thanks for the quick answer. Got a feeling Townsends is getting another order soon.

I like your idea about dedicating time over the holidays for fun and useful projects. It's not just a smart move, it's a wise move.

Jeff

I was looking at it a few minutes ago and some of it is out of my budget these days. But that is the price you pay for quality stuff made the old fashioned way. Anybody can push a button on a press or robot but doing it his way takes real skill. However I thought his turnscrews, flint strikers, and some of that stuff was priced reasonably cheap for what it is. Cool stuff. Might have to place an order and check him out.

We are of one mind here. Probably gonna dip a toe for a turnscrew, and would have to save for pretty much anything else, especially having shelled out for a small stock of powder today.

Hermit Tim,
Thanks for the quick answer. Got a feeling Townsends is getting another order soon.

I like your idea about dedicating time over the holidays for fun and useful projects. It's not just a smart move, it's a wise move.

Jeff
You are welcome my friend. That may be my most favorite weekend of the whole year.

We are of one mind here. Probably gonna dip a toe for a turnscrew, and would have to save for pretty much anything else, especially having shelled out for a small stock of powder today.
Me too. I thought I would start with the turnscrew as well. I always pick something small and inexpensive like that, as long as I need one, when doing business with a company online for the first time. So if I get ripped off it doesn't hurt nearly as bad. Paranoid I guess. I guess I am going to have to shell out for a stock of powder as well. Only have a couple pounds left. Thinking about making my own though.

Cattywompass, I have one of Kyles rifleman axes from Old Dominion Forge, great piece and only gets better with use, it was a christmas gift a few years back from the wife. TOP RIGHT GUY TOO DEAL WITH.
Good to know! I personally know a local holster maker/customer of my pawn shop who has had a lot of leather in blockbuster movies over the last 20 years, and despite making beautiful stuff he is a right old pain in the arse of a personality. It always makes me feel good when a craftsman is also an all around goodun as well.

I have the larger hawk, and in my extreme testing (weekend warrior at best) it has done everything I have asked. Mine holds a wicked edge. I have no doubt in it at all, but in reality I have not put it to very much difficult testing. Just weekend play. Mostly it just rides in my belt at gunshows.

Doc

I guess I am fixin' to be in the same boat with you. Gotta get those other two hawks, the soldiers pocket knife, and on, and on, and on.... For people who imitate a lifestyle that was basically minimalist, some of us sure do accumulate a lot of gear. :)
Hermit Tim, I ordered the smaller folding knife from Townsend's on Sunday evening and received it This morning, Thursday. That is really fast. Now this knife is a jewel. It needed lots of finishing and the edge was non-existent, but real nice. I am going to order the large one tonite. Great service and good products.
John

Hermit Tim, I ordered the smaller folding knife from Townsend's on Sunday evening and received it This morning, Thursday. That is really fast. Now this knife is a jewel. It needed lots of finishing and the edge was non-existent, but real nice. I am going to order the large one tonite. Great service and good products.
John
They are fast and I appreciate that. Thanks for your report on that knife. Planning on ordering one next week. I'm really liking these guys so far. They have a fixed blade knife on there, can't remember what they called it but it looks like a trade knife, for around $40.00. Every time I get ready to order one they are sold out. I am thinking if it is any kind of quality at all it is well worth that price. Can't wait to get one.

Hermit Tim,
I have a couple of the Townsend paring knives, one as a patch cutter and one for the kitchen. Also the next size up they call the square handled trade knife and that's in the kitchen as well. Heck of a good value.

They are comfortable to hold, come pretty sharp, look good, and take a really fine edge. I use the kitchen knives daily, hand wash and light mineral oil wipe prevents rust and they hold a good edge. Although I don't need it, I will probably get the cook's knife at some point.

Jeff

Hermit Tim,
I have a couple of the Townsend paring knives, one as a patch cutter and one for the kitchen. Also the next size up they call the square handled trade knife and that's in the kitchen as well. Heck of a good value.

They are comfortable to hold, come pretty sharp, look good, and take a really fine edge. I use the kitchen knives daily, hand wash and light mineral oil wipe prevents rust and they hold a good edge. Although I don't need it, I will probably get the cook's knife at some point.

Jeff
With Christmas coming they are out of a lot of the more popular stuff like knives. I will have to wait a while to pick myself up a few. Maybe they will get some in soon.

Back