• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

JaS Townsend Tomahawk

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Wasn't sure where to post this so here it is. I was looking for a very small 'hawk for carrying when I am hunting and messing around in the woods behind the house where I don't really need heavy gear or a full kit. Looked around online and the only thing I found that really looked worth the money, not custom, and would fill the bill, was with the Townsend folks. Been watching their fantastic 18th century videos online for years, and learned a bunch of great info from them, so gave them a shot with my first order from their website. Results: These folks communicated well, shipped unbelievably fast, and sent me a real quality product at a more than fair price. I have now bookmarked many items on their site for future purchases. Strange post? Maybe. But I know when people are unhappy with purchases they don't mind telling everybody. I believe when someone gets it right, as these folks did, I want to share those experiences as well. Very happy customer here... Nope, they didn't pay me for this post. I don't even know them. Yet...

Here are a few pics. It came with an unfinished handle, which I like, so I just sanded it down and rubbed it with a light coating of Minwax espresso stain and finished it off with my own beeswax wood polish mixture. I am building a custom "junkyard" Hawken, that will hopefully be finished today if I can find my browning solution, and that is what I used on my stock. Would like for them to match. Also will be making a trade knife, hopefully this week, that will also match with that stain. I tried this little hawk out today for the first time and it cuts great. Perfect for what I was looking for. It was $22 plus another $8 even for shipping so for thirty bucks I got a great little hawk. Feels like it is well balanced for throwing but haven't tried that yet. I know, I could have went to ebay and bought a Cold Steel rifleman's hawk for not much more, but wanted something a little more compact and, to me, authentic looking. Now to make the sheath...

Attachments

• WP_20211031_12_45_12_Pro.jpg
    WP_20211031_12_45_12_Pro.jpg
    350.8 KB · Views: 154
  • WP_20211031_12_45_16_Pro.jpg
    WP_20211031_12_45_16_Pro.jpg
    381.1 KB · Views: 169
  • WP_20211031_12_45_24_Pro.jpg
    WP_20211031_12_45_24_Pro.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 168
  • WP_20211031_12_45_30_Pro.jpg
    WP_20211031_12_45_30_Pro.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 159
  • WP_20211031_12_45_47_Pro.jpg
    WP_20211031_12_45_47_Pro.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 138
That's sure a handsome hawk you have there - nice work !

I modified a new Cold Steel Frontier Hawk last year, shortening/staining the handle & reworking the head - but would have bought a Townsend hawk like yours, if I had only known about them

e2u9Jtwl.jpg

That's sure a handsome hawk you have there - nice work !

I modified a new Cold Steel Frontier Hawk last year, shortening/staining the handle & reworking the head - but would have bought a Townsend hawk like yours, if I had only known about them

e2u9Jtwl.jpg
Thanks. Nothing wrong with yours at all. That is a nice looking hawk. Looks like you did a fantastic job on it. I like the cold steel ones. Have the CS viking axe and the Norse Hawk in my shop. I use the viking axe for splitting wood and processing fatwood and have done some carving with the Norse. They, and all my other tomahawks, were just bigger than what I was wanting. And I needed an excuse to buy another one...

Wasn't sure where to post this so here it is. I was looking for a very small 'hawk for carrying when I am hunting and messing around in the woods behind the house where I don't really need heavy gear or a full kit. Looked around online and the only thing I found that really looked worth the money, not custom, and would fill the bill, was with the Townsend folks. Been watching their fantastic 18th century videos online for years, and learned a bunch of great info from them, so gave them a shot with my first order from their website. Results: These folks communicated well, shipped unbelievably fast, and sent me a real quality product at a more than fair price. I have now bookmarked many items on their site for future purchases. Strange post? Maybe. But I know when people are unhappy with purchases they don't mind telling everybody. I believe when someone gets it right, as these folks did, I want to share those experiences as well. Very happy customer here... Nope, they didn't pay me for this post. I don't even know them. Yet...
Thanks for the post. I just went to the Townsend & Son web page. Very nice selections and not just tomahawks.

I got one of Townsend’s British light military hawks about thirty years ago. It’s still doing everything I need in camp or trek, and served on more then one deer as needed.
I’m a big fan of Townsend’s
Thanks for the input. At the age of 50-something, if mine holds up as well as yours, someone else will probably get to carry it after I'm gone. Can't beat stuff that lasts a lifetime.

Here are a few pics. It came with an unfinished handle, which I like, so I just sanded it down and rubbed it with a light coating of Minwax espresso stain and finished it off with my own beeswax wood polish mixture. I am building a custom "junkyard" Hawken, that will hopefully be finished today if I can find my browning solution, and that is what I used on my stock. Would like for them to match. Also will be making a trade knife, hopefully this week, that will also match with that stain. I tried this little hawk out today for the first time and it cuts great. Perfect for what I was looking for. It was $22 plus another $8 even for shipping so for thirty bucks I got a great little hawk. Feels like it is well balanced for throwing but haven't tried that yet. I know, I could have went to ebay and bought a Cold Steel rifleman's hawk for not much more, but wanted something a little more compact and, to me, authentic looking. Now to make the sheath...

Nice job!

Townsends is excellent in everything they do. The company was started by John's father when they attended muzzleloader shoots in the 60s and 70s. Guys needed period stuff so he started making camp and trail gear accurate to the era.

Their whole YouTube and Townsend’s Plus community is great. I also haven't been paid or anything by them, but I love their work. It's not all hunting and guns, but there is plenty of that too. Mike Miller, Tim Williams and others feature in their vids.

I have spent (ahem....) WAY more than I should have with them, and they have always been top notch. No problems what so ever. Won't hesitate a bit to spend more there (soon I'm sure).

Doc

Did you get the forged tomahawk ($28.00) or the small forged tomahawk ($22.00)? Just curious.

I've enjoyed the Townsend videos for years. I also subscribe to the Townsend Plus site which has some outstanding videos on leather working, blacksmithing, cooking, and making clay items. I've bought a lot from their site. It has all been top notch and American made when possible.

Jeff

I got the small one because I was looking for something small and not too heavy just for light wood splitting and other meager tasks. I am planning on buying the bigger one too. I've been using this little one some and so far it is great. Well worth $22.00. I haven't gotten around to making a sheath for it yet but hopefully will be able to next week. Smack in the middle of craft show season right now but will be taking Thanksgiving weekend off. My tradition is to lose the keys and cell phone and stay on my property for four days starting with Thursday. Hoping to get that sheath and some other kit stuff done before civil war show/gun show season starts. And maybe a deer or three in the freezer... I think I will check into that Townsend Plus site. Sounds good.

I have spent (ahem....) WAY more than I should have with them, and they have always been top notch. No problems what so ever. Won't hesitate a bit to spend more there (soon I'm sure).

Doc
I guess I am fixin' to be in the same boat with you. Gotta get those other two hawks, the soldiers pocket knife, and on, and on, and on.... For people who imitate a lifestyle that was basically minimalist, some of us sure do accumulate a lot of gear. :)

Back