• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Finally Succumbed...,

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Loyalist Dave

Cannon
Staff member
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I ordered and received a #11 Tap-o-Cap tool from Dixie Gun Works, plus the compound ingredients to make the caps work.

I got a hankerin' to shoot some of my caplocks, and I'm good on #10's for revolvers, but for long guns, I'm OK for now but what about next month or February, and I'd like to try to get a turkey this April....,

Those prices aren't coming down anytime soon either, for them factory caps...

I asked guys at the LGS about expecting any #11 caps in soon and this was the reaction that I got...

GOOD FELLAS MASTER PHOTO.JPG

So..., wish me luck

LD

I ordered and received a #11 Tap-o-Cap tool from Dixie Gun Works, plus the compound ingredients to make the caps work.

I got a hankerin' to shoot some of my caplocks, and I'm good on #10's for revolvers, but for long guns, I'm OK for now but what about next month or February, and I'd like to try to get a turkey this April....,

I asked guys at the LGS about expecting any #11 caps in soon and this was the reaction that I got...

View attachment 275269

So..., wish me luck

LD
Clever photo accompaniment!

I’ve made some using the 22reloader kit using roll caps from the toy store and they work. I’ll try the mix soon as well. Very happy with the kit.

View attachment 275269

So..., wish me luck

LD
Does that kit include the mix or is it bought separtely? Thinking of getting the #10 kit.

Does that kit include the mix or is it bought separtely? Thinking of getting the #10 kit.
You buy the "compound" separately

I guess this falls into the category of do I need to do this? Well yes and no, in so much as actual no I don't need to make my own black powder. Would it be a good thing to know how in case of future use, dang tootin' . Same with knowing how to make caps never hurts to know, how.

I agree, but it was über trained into me in The Corps in my particular unit to have redundancy in capabilities. Often lower tech, but more robust in durability. I have on the shelf a fuel rated, hand crank pump left over from Y2K (never used NIB) plus the tubing needed for an "emergency withdrawl" of fuel from a ground tank IF the power was off long enough. I also have a kit for turning a 55 gallon oil drum into a wood stove for heating, etc.
I don't know why it took me so long to scratch this particular itch... probably because I have a good supply of flints. ;)

LD

LSLibelo I too have a Auto-Cap and a few years ago bought a Cap Maker. I modified it to work on a reloading press like the Auto -Cap. Both are capable of making 600 to 800 cups in a hour.. 100 cups in eight min is easy. Why do it the hard way by hand and hammer? I used to use the German role caps .Struggled with many failures to fire. Too much paper being fired though the nipple I suppose

I'm going to experiment I think. The basic cap filler, plus diluted Duco cement with acetone, and I'm thinking also trying shellac with wood alcohol, as binders to hold the compound in the caps. I've got to head North in an hour and get the shellac, Duco, and acetone from the hardware and antique furniture store. I'd already be on my way but alas, an unforecasted snow has fallen here..., only three inches but this is a transition zone, and so....,

JOKER NURSE.jpg

LD

The Shellac will work. I have used the shellac flakes in alcohol. A $10 bag of shellac flakes will last longer than we will and does not go bad. Finding it is the problem.The Duco Cement works very well but the tube will likely dry out before you use it up.

At my age time is more important than money. I think I have stockpiled enough caps and powder for the next 5 years or so....after that who knows? I already spend enough time making wads, cutting patches, and cleaning guns.

The Shellac will work. I have used the shellac flakes in alcohol. A $10 bag of shellac flakes will last longer than we will and does not go bad. Finding it is the problem.The Duco Cement works very well but the tube will likely dry out before you use it up.

Thanks for the information! :thumb:

LD

I'm going to experiment I think. The basic cap filler, plus diluted Duco cement with acetone, and I'm thinking also trying shellac with wood alcohol, as binders to hold the compound in the caps. I've got to head North in an hour and get the shellac, Duco, and acetone from the hardware and antique furniture store. I'd already be on my way but alas, an unforecasted snow has fallen here..., only three inches but this is a transition zone, and so....,

View attachment 275704

LD
Having lived in northern VA for some years long ago, I know exactly whereof you speak! Fender benders by the score!

Latest posts

Back