• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Finally Succumbed...,

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Elmers white glue will work too. Two drops in a tablespoon of WATER. Put in a small bottle cap and shake well. You would think that this would kill the mixture. It does not .I have shot about a hundred this way with Pyrodex. No Faliures to fire or hangfires
White-glue and water, very interesting. I shall have to try that next, after the real shellac.

LD

The comment regarding hitting a cap with a hammer, and ringing ears brought forth an old memory.
I didn't start college until I was almost 30, at a nice Junior College in Florida; my first course was General Chemistry. Being older, and a Vet, I got along great with the Professor, who encouraged me to conduct a few much different "formulae".
I made Nitro Cellulose - gun cotton! Not much, to be sure, I think it came out to be about 4 oz.

Hit some of that, a wee pinch, on a concrete sidewalk with a hammer - everyone within about 25 yards had ringing ears!

Hmmmm. Maybe some of those home-made percussion caps?

Darn it guys, now my want bumps are itching to try cap making.

I definitely plan on keeping up with this. Perhaps by summer I'll be ready to start. As it is now, I'm going to have to do a lot of research. Don't even know where to begin.

Thanks for posting, LD and others.

Elmers white glue will work too. Two drops in a tablespoon of WATER. Put in a small bottle cap and shake well. You would think that this would kill the mixture. It does not .
I keep trying to mix up some of that glue water, but every time I put it in the bottle cap and shake it, it goes all over the place and disappears.

:dunno:

“Let’s eat Grandpa.”

“Let’s eat, Grandpa.”

Oh, but for the want of a comma!

Last edited:
Ok You got me. I should have made it like this. Put the water in a small bottle with the drops and cap it. Then shake it real hard. Stirring didn't work well. You can stir until your arms fall off and it still not have it mixed.

Have to admit to trying the homemade caps with varied success, nough so that I quite.

Interested in the fast pistol powder mix. How does that work and what formula is used? Is this all that is used? Or is it covering another formula in the cap?

lots of questions and the primary reason I went to flintlock. Still love my flinters but really need to complete the cap making endeavors to make my self esteem get hiked back up. Nobody likes to fail at an endeavor!

The smokeless fast powders become the binder when put in acetone and stirred up. You still use the powders from the kit. You can leave out the small bag with the off white powder.

Latest posts

Back