• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Finally Succumbed...,

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I guess this falls into the category of do I need to do this? Well yes and no, in so much as actual no I don't need to make my own black powder. Would it be a good thing to know how in case of future use, dang tootin' . Same with knowing how to make caps never hurts to know, how.
As grandpa always said, once you learn how to do it no one can ever take knowledge away from you.

UPDATE

Test fired two caps last night... well three if you count the one where the mixture fell out of the cap...,

No good results. 😞 They had only dried for about 12 hours, using acetone as the liquid. I shall continue to experiment. Allowing a longer dry time.
I shall try alcohol and shellac as well

LD

I have the Tap-o-caps, because I didn’t think I was going to be able to get my hands on the regular ones. But then I did and so haven’t used or made any functional Tap-o-caps. One thing to keep in mind is to follow the video instructions and don’t go off script. A fellow on here shared what happens when you mix your batch in a mortar and pestle bowl. Not referencing you personally Loyalist Dave, just wanted those who are interested to go in with open eyes.

They had only dried for about 12 hours, using acetone as the liquid. I shall continue to experiment. Allowing a longer dry time.
That's a weak point In the instructions. Whatever they put in the mixture as a binder doesn't do the job with the acetone alone. I had the same experience with my first batch. Next I tried the duco/acetone and that worked much better. I think the shellac might be even better. I'm following to see how it works out for you.

UPDATE

Test fired two caps last night... well three if you count the one where the mixture fell out of the cap...,

No good results. 😞 They had only dried for about 12 hours, using acetone as the liquid. I shall continue to experiment. Allowing a longer dry time.

LD
:doh:

OK so LET THEM DRY is the motto of my thread now....,

Tried two more of them today, and they were made yesterday with Acetone and Ducco cement... so full 24 hours drying time... TWO very loud
💥BANGS💥.

Next is a try with shellac....

LD

I have the Tap-o-caps, because I didn’t think I was going to be able to get my hands on the regular ones. But then I did and so haven’t used or made any functional Tap-o-caps. One thing to keep in mind is to follow the video instructions and don’t go off script. A fellow on here shared what happens when you mix your batch in a mortar and pestle bowl. Not referencing you personally Loyalist Dave, just wanted those who are interested to go in with open eyes.
A Muzzle Loading related post...Holy Cow! Color me Shocked!

That's a weak point In the instructions. Whatever they put in the mixture as a binder doesn't do the job with the acetone alone. I had the same experience with my first batch. Next I tried the duco/acetone and that worked much better. I think the shellac might be even better. I'm following to see how it works out for you.
AND sincere thanks for the tip(s). I should've mentioned I started with duco and acetone.... 😇

LD

I ordered and received a #11 Tap-o-Cap tool from Dixie Gun Works, plus the compound ingredients to make the caps work.

I got a hankerin' to shoot some of my caplocks, and I'm good on #10's for revolvers, but for long guns, I'm OK for now but what about next month or February, and I'd like to try to get a turkey this April....,

Those prices aren't coming down anytime soon either, for them factory caps...

I asked guys at the LGS about expecting any #11 caps in soon and this was the reaction that I got...

View attachment 275269

So..., wish me luck

LD
The streams are full of caps, Bill Tyler, just begging you to pick them up. As many as the stars in the sky!

@Loyalist Dave

Just in case that you're not aware, the priming mixture in these is based on potassium chlorate, so the residue is corrosive. This normally isn't an issue when shooting BP since we need to clean the gun anyway, but if you just pop a couple of caps you should clean the gun afterwards, unlike modern production caps.

@Loyalist Dave

Just in case that you're not aware, the priming mixture in these is based on potassium chlorate, so the residue is corrosive. This normally isn't an issue when shooting BP since we need to clean the gun anyway, but if you just pop a couple of caps you should clean the gun afterwards, unlike modern production caps.
Thanks for the heads up..., no, I wouldn't have thought that.

LD

You buy the "compound" separately

I agree, but it was über trained into me in The Corps in my particular unit to have redundancy in capabilities. Often lower tech, but more robust in durability. I have on the shelf a fuel rated, hand crank pump left over from Y2K (never used NIB) plus the tubing needed for an "emergency withdrawl" of fuel from a ground tank IF the power was off long enough. I also have a kit for turning a 55 gallon oil drum into a wood stove for heating, etc.
I don't know why it took me so long to scratch this particular itch... probably because I have a good supply of flints. ;)

LD
Same here. Canned food. Freeze dried too. Generator. Water filtration system. Garden.

I appreciate everyone's input on making caps.
I still have a healthy supply but intend on buying a cap making setup anyway.
I've heard form others that hairspray made a good cap sealant.
Years ago I found hair spray to be a very effective combustible in my spud shooting guns :thumb:
Thanks !!
Relic shooter

LC, I tried rattle can hair spray, got all over. My BETTER HALF gave me her old spritzer bottle of white rain hair spray which I do 50% acetone and an eye dropper. One drop per cap and next day good to go has not failed once in the 2 years of making the caps. Seems to keep moisture out too.

As many have found out,the binder that comes with the kit dose not work. If using shellac ,use the flakes not the Zinzer bullseye in a can. Something about the caned shellac prevents them working well. If using a fast pistol powder like 700x, PB or Bullseye. A pinch of powder in a tablespoon of acetone cover and let set for a hour. Uncover and stir until evenly mixed. Put a drop in each cup. I use a pipe cleaner as the way to get a generous drop. This does not seem to be touchy at all. I have used a single drop up four drops ( let evaporate between drops) and all fire with great power. Elmers white glue will work too. Two drops in a tablespoon of WATER. Put in a small bottle cap and shake well. You would think that this would kill the mixture. It does not .I have shot about a hundred this way with Pyrodex. No Faliures to fire or hangfires

Latest posts

Back