• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Favorite cap, Uberti 1851, 158s, 1860s?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm working through RWS caps right now. No problems. In general I've found misfires follow certain nipples. I now finally have slixshots on everything and increased the mainspring tension on the 1851. Misfire problems seem to be over except for caps with missing primer material.

My problem with RWS seems to be a seating problem. They will cycle through all chambers misfire, then on 2nd go around they all fire. Some have said weak main spring. Maybe but pistol new in April , but Rem And CCI fire first time, so i’ll just stay with them. As they say YMMV.
Edit: cant say about the plus, these are regular 1075.

#10 die from sharpshooters work great on 58's but not on a 49 that one likes storeboughts.

My all time favorite and what I recommend if asked are Remington #10's. Do so as of all of the big three (Rem, CCI, RWS) the Rem 10's fit the nipples/cones the best and for the most part stay on the nipple after firing and are easily removed. Its been so long since I've had anything fall into the guns interior I can't recall. Possibly back in and around early 2005 when I bought a 2nd model Dragoon and used some old Remington #11's that were handy that I used on my TC Hawken. Just got the Dragoon, cleaned it up, and headed out back to my farm range as I was in a froth to shoot it. Had a cap fall into the guts on the 2nd shot. Went back in the house and got some Rem 10's and had 'a more harmonious outcome'.

Anyway, the Rem 10's have the longest skirt of the 'big three' that will fit over the nipple and the longest internal depth that will fit inside. That's why they are popular for fitting on the nipples and staying put so to speak after firing and not falling apart and into the guts of a cap revolver. CCI 11's are the next best IMO and from alot of other positive reports I've read over the years. CCI 11's are a bit smaller in their dimensions than Rem 10's, but are the closest to them of all of the others. I've used RWS off and on several times but not enough to say ya or nay. I did buy 1000 of em on the cheap at a gun show not long ago and haven't given them a real side by side comparison to the others I use alot. One of these days I hope to do a comparison with my stable of cap guns using the 'big three' caps on the four brands of nipples I have available on by revolvers. CCI 11's are often quoted as being the cap that Treso's, Slix-Shot, and Track of the Wolf nipples were developed around. Tracks nipple is a close copy of a Tresso but made from stainless steel. I and others have found Rem 10's even work better in our experience than the CCI 11's and fit well on the three after market nipples. The Rem 10's I've found work well with factory nipples also, in fact on some of my cap revolvers they still have what came on them.

I've posted this info before, but if any one wants to read a well written thread on percussion caps, go to the CAS Forum. Click on 'The Darksiders Den', then at the top of the Den, click on 'The Dark Arts'. Around 2/3 of the way down is a thread started by a guy called MAKO titled "Cap Gun Primer: Correct Cone Length". It is a three page thread written by MAKO using CAD drawings of cap and ball revolver cylinders/nipples, hammer relationships, etc that is very interesting and informative. Read the whole thread, it was written before Slix-Shot nipples were produced and Treso's were all the rage. The thread really gives top info on the relationship between cap and nipple fit, how well a striking hammer hits the cap, and other not well known information. On page 2 post #20 is a chart showing all of 'the big three's' percussion cap dimensions. I'd just put a link here, but beyond my pay grade how to go about that. MAKO in his day job was an engineer of some sort who worked with CAD machines and loved black powder shooting, very knowledgeable and talented.

CCI 10's are the worse of the lot IMO and in their size comparisons to all of the others. Bought some once long ago not knowing the size comparison. To tight a fit to set snugly over the nipples of all I had. In order to seat them I had to gently push them on with a wooden dowel to seat after trying their fit. Did so on empty cylinders as I was fearful of a discharge except for the first loaded revolver I tried em on. Pried em off. According to what I've been told and read, the CCI 10's fit on a few small caliber cap guns with smaller nipples than their bigger cousins. Tracks chart shows that to be the case. My first cap gun back in 1972 was a disaster with caps. All available were some Italian caps in a red plastic 'tin'. They were $1 per 100. I had to pinch everyone to stay on the nipple and upon firing several unfired ones would fall off every time and cap fragments were always falling into the innards. The Ol Eruoarms '51 Navy Colt in 44 was an eye opening experience into percussion revolvers. IMO Rem #10's if available are the best of the lot with CCI #11's a close 2nd. Others I've talked with and what I've read agree also. But sometimes ya gotta go with what ya can find. Well I wrote a book and didn't have any intention to but hear ya are.

10-4. Haven't heard from MAKO in a long time. PM'd and emailed with him both a few times after he left CAS Forum. Wonder where he '"forum's" now if any. Possibly under a new handle. IMO he got a raw deal at the CAS forum in a disagreement with several other members who were out of line in their posts. Wish he was back there on here. A wealth of information and really a nice guy. Some didn't like it he posted what he thought but it was always constructive in its own way.

Remington #10s by a wide margin. RWS 1075s next and CCI #11s in a pinch. I use SlixShot nipples exclusively. I've tried lightening hammer springs and found that they led to FTFs. Replaced mainsprings with factory springs and FTFs disappeared. I habitually give all caps an extra push to avoid having to rotate thru a cylinder again. Doesn't matter what cap you use, the extra push takes a fraction of a second and avoids that extra rotation. Everything I own is a Uberti 1851 (Colt 2nd gen).

Last edited:
All of my cap pistols are set up for Remington 10’s. I have nipples fitted for CCI 11’s as well because I haven’t been seeing new Remingtons for some time. ’m down to my last thousand or so Remington caps.

I have had zero issues with RWS 1075’s on Treso nipples in my 58 and 60. Since I’ve been making my own I haven’t touched my stash of RWS or CCI caps.

Interesting that as late as 2018 we had a selection of caps. Remington, CCI, RWS, Scheutzen, Winchester, etc. most of them made 10’s, 11’s, 11 magnum, and some made musket caps as well. Currently it seems as if we have a choice of 11’s in CCI and CCI. Musket caps by Scheutzen and that’s it. That was sudden. I’ve seen a similar trend in all consumer goods. Ah well. The good old days certainly were.

Can't say how the production of Remington caps is as present, especially #10's, but they do show up here and there once in a while. Not to awful long ago my favorite LGS had a cardboard boxful of Remington #10's in blister packs on a shelf. I haven't seen the old 'bricks' of 1000 for sometime, but there were probably 15 blister packs in the box. Bought three @5 per tin , back in the LGS several weeks later and he had added to the box. Bought another seven to equal a brick of a 1000. I have a healthy stash of #10's, but those in the LGS weren't going fast so I added to my stash. He eventually sold all but it took a while.

Last edited:
I use CCI #11 because that is all I can get. I don’t believe I have ever seen Remington #10 but, would love to try them. I live in the boonies so finding stuff is more difficult.

Can you purchase Remington #10 on line and what is the cost? I have never even looked for them.

CCI 11's have the same inner dimensions as Rem 10's in that they fit better on the nipples the best of most factory and after market ones, but they don't have as long of a skirt that fits a little longer down the sides of the nipples. I believe and have read that's why they fit a tad better and stay on the nipples better after firing. I have noticed that when using both.

If ya can find someone online selling Rem 10's the big red flag besides the too high of a price would be having to pay the expensive 'hazmat' fee that would run the cost up further. I've seen caps for sale here and there online but for the most part haven't paid much attention to them as I have always been able to buy at a LGS that stocked them.

Latest posts

Back