• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Influence with Pietta among us?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
As I contemplate the purchase of a Remington 1858 pattern .44 ..I just realized that from the start I ruled out Pietta simply because I don't want to comb America for #10 percussion caps or spend another $XX.XX dollars for a set of new nipples
Now I have a few RWS 1075's that I read will fit but by and large the most widely available cap is the #11/CCI
And it does not appear that any copious quantities of #10's are going to be forth coming ..

Why in the world would Pietta continue to ship #10 preferred sized nipple guns into a market that has #11's fairly well distributed and #10's like hen's teeth??

Hence the question begs to be answered ..are there any folks among us having Pietta's "ear" who could/would clue Pietta in on a simple change that sells them more units and makes it easier for us to "feed" their guns ??

All of my BP revolvers are Uberti ..some because when they were bought Uberti was considered by some to be the better of the two at the time of purchase ...NOW I read that the two brands quality wise are equals ..So I would be would not rule out Pietta product ..except I see no reason to pay additional $$ above the original purchase price to modify it to function with the primary cap size available in this market ...

My opinions and $1 will get you a senior decaff at McDonalds ..your mileage may differ from the above:doh:

Bear

I have a slew of Pietta revolvers. I’ve never owned a tin of #10 caps. 11s have always worked fine with mine. I have two that are less than two years old and number 11 CCIs, Remington and rws 1075s all work the same on mine.
That's good to hear ..but I did do a search on this forum about this subject before posting and the "work arounds" of the above subject are numerous and scary ..such as pinching #11 caps to get them to stay ..to #11's falling off during a full cylinder attempt and jamming the cylinder ...??

So are the Pietta nipples being supplied varying in size/shape ??? ...where one gun or series of guns have CCI #11 nipple friendly nipples and others do not ??

Maybe not using a dowel rod to really hard seat the cap??

Something is going on??

Bear

That's good to hear ..but I did do a search on this forum about this subject before posting and the "work arounds" of the above subject are numerous and scary ..such as pinching #11 caps to get them to stay ..to #11's falling off during a full cylinder attempt and jamming the cylinder ...??

So are the Pietta nipples being supplied varying in size/shape ??? ...where one gun or series of guns have CCI #11 nipple friendly nipples and others do not ??

Maybe not using a dowel rod to really hard seat the cap??

Something is going on??

Bear
As I stated before I’ve never had any #10 caps so I can’t compare. I don’t pinch them or push them on with a dowel. I push them on with fingers and shoot. No jams and none falling off. Same on my Ruger OA. Sometimes people make a mountain out of a mole hill when it comes to forum discussions. Don’t believe everything you read.

Nipples are sort of a wear item on percussion guns, so buying an extra set is a good idea anyway.
I recently bought a Uberti 1858 and I really like it, and lots of people are pleased with their Piettas.
The difference between #10 and #11 caps is really small, like hard to measure. I use 11's on everything cause they are more common and don't have any particular trouble with them.
We are messing around with very old technology and probably shouldn't expect perfect reliability. That's what makes them fun!

Folks will talk like they're all the same . . .
Exactly.
I've looked at charts and measured the various makes, and one maker's #11s don't match anybody else's #11s, so it's hard to discuss #s in general terms.
You have to find one that works on your particular gun, and stick with it.
Or get some new nipples that will accept whatever you have.
Like someone already said, they are a wear item, so you'll be needing replacements eventually, so get them now, and be happy. :ghostly:

@45D and @Brazos John are absolutley right.

Here are the approximate sizes:

Brand___________Opening ⌀_____Length
CCI #10.....................0.160"................0.160"
CCI #11.....................0.166"................0.162"
Remington #10......0.167"...............0.168"
Remington #11......0.166"...............0.145"
RSW #1075..............0.165"...............0.154"

What I do is turn down the factory nipples for CCI #10s and buy another set for CCI #11s so I can use either size.

Last edited:
If I had influence with Pietta they'd be making percussion revolvers to use common every day molds that make .314, .358, .429 and .452 diameter bullets.
Oh, yeah, and .53 round ball for sure and certain.:)

I bought a Pietta Bison made in 2020 and a standard 1858 in 2022 if you read your Manuel it will recommend #11 caps and they work fine. I do pinch mine but that is part of the game. Nipples break in and no longer require pinching after a thousand rounds or so. then they wear out and need replacing. the folks who buy new nipples to put on new revolvers might spend too much time reading and not enough time shooting.

All through the cap "shortage" I had no trouble finding RWS 1075 caps. Just because of that I've switched to them for all my percussion guns, be single shot pistols, revolvers, long guns and even my old originals. They even fit this very old Withers mule ear over under that any other caps just didn't fit properly.
I have experienced chain fires with a revolver when using the wrong size caps (pinched). So I never pinch them anymore. Never had a chain fire with RWS 1075 caps.
withers 001.jpg
withers 006.jpg

Latest posts

Back