• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

fancy production or custom

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zimmerstutzen

70 Cal.
Reaction score
Over the weekend, I had the chance to shoot a LePage pistol by Pedersoli, The balance was incredible, as is the price. Before I spend an incredible amount for a production gun, would I be better off with a custom target gun? Some of Pedersoli's target models are $800 to 1,200 bucks.

Check the nice folks at The Gun Works. They offer a pistol that is similar to the LePage that is well made. I had them build one for my wife and we are well pleased...

Mixed emotions on a production gun versus custom target gun. Another class of pistols is semi-custom.

Below are my three (3) groups of pistol makers:

The "production gun manufacturer" hopefully, will continue to be build guns and the manufacturer does not go out of business, if so the source for parts and repair work disappears. Some manufacturers are gone and so are the parts.

"Custom builder", when he dies, parts and knowledge is gone, he is the only one making the parts and building the pistol.

Semi-custom, he uses his knowledge, but uses locks, triggers and barrels from others. Hopefully, the suppliers of the locks, triggers and barrels continue on after the maker is gone.

Pedsersoli makes some very nice pistols and come equipped with some nice prices. I am currently shooting three (3) Pedersoli's in line matches and have been pleased with them, with one minor glitch along the way. Perdersoli quickly fixed the problem.

I also currently have five (5) "custom pistols" and the parts are only made by the each maker and they were built one at a time as such. The problem with true custom pistols is that when the builder dies you are in a world of hurt for parts unless you have a bunch of spare parts made by him.

I have seen a lot of Pedersoli's in line matches and for the most part they are one of the dominant pistols.

Given a choice, I would have to give a nod to the semi-custom pistol or the Pedersoli over a true one of a kind custom built pistol.

RDE

What three Pedersoli's are you shooting?

It's been a while since I was competing and the groups around here are getting fussy about staying with traditional designs. 15 years ago, I won several matches with a Palmetto target pistol, but that design (like a Tingle or CVA Prospector) is no longer permitted.

Kentucky Percussion, Kentucky Flintlock and Charles Moore Flintlock.

I had trigger jobs done on the Kentucky pistols and that helped a lot. I was surprised at how accurate the Kentuky pistols are.

The Charles Moore will replace the Kentucky Flintlock on the line. The Charles Moore is allowed in the Kentucky matches, so it will be used.

Sounds like your local rules are more restictive than the National rules.

RDE

I shoot a LePage AND a Rochatte, both are by Armi Sport. I do not know if they are still producing them, but the pistols are very high quality and I am very pleased with both.

I wouldn't sweat the parts availability aspect of any of them. Muzzleloaders are simple devices and any muzzleloader gunsmith worth his salt can recreate just about any part pretty easily. Hence why the custom builders are able to create theirs from scratch. It's not rocket science, but it does take talent and experience.

I guess my comments stem from where I live there is shortage of gunsmiths and there are no M/L gunsmiths. There is one local gunsmith who has been doing work on my pistols, he does it as a favor.

If it's broke and you can't find anyone to repair it, it's not much good.

I have asked before if there are any M/L pistol smiths and no one has answered.

RDE

Latest posts

Back