• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pedersoli woes....

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nick_1

45 Cal.
Reaction score
So this arrived yesterday.
IMG_1832.jpg

beautifully made pistol. too bad it doesn't work :(
The set trigger lock is non functional. The way it came from the factory the set trigger was so light that it clicks off just by shaking the pistol or slapping it against your palm yet it wont actually drop the hammer. In order to get it to drop the hammer you need to set it so light that a feather will trip it and it does not pass the shake test much less the bump test. . setting the trigger to any sort of reasonable level it will not drop the hammer but will still click and unset by palm slapping the pistol. Pedersoli does not even have a customer service link on their website. the only contact link is for product information/ advertising. I did send my complaint via that link. Interesting that several of the folks on this site informed me that my $365.00 Traditions Trapper was a piece of junk yet it shot perfectly right out of the box and traditions has good customer service. this Pedersoli was over $1,700 after tax and shipping and it won't even drop the hammer...

I would contact the seller or Pedersoli direct. I've heard they have pretty decent customer service, and I don't think they would want the liability of a pistol that could just go off at any time on their hands either, especially if it's something that's been brought to their attention already. If an accident were to happen, it could be feasible to blame the company because they were aware of the defect, and refused to fix it.

I contacted Pedersoli one time, and it seems like their customer service is in Italy, because I only got responses at night.

Just to hypothetical here, you're at the range for the first time with your brand new pistol, you load it properly, do everything exactly the way you're supposed to. Somehow the sear or hammer slips, the gun goes off, and shoots somebody. The police will open an investigation as to the cause of the shooting, and if it's determined that it was from a brand new gun that was malfunctional from the factory, Pedersoli might find themselves in some legal hot water, not to mention the endless online discussions that something like that would start, smearing Ped as a company. If I were on that jury, and the shooter did in fact load everything correctly, and practice proper gun safety, I would definitely blame the manufacturer, ESPECIALLY if they were contacted with a problem and refused to fix it.

It would be in their best interest to replace that pistol ASAP.

I have the same maple stocked pistol in .36 caliber. I’ve had none of the problems you describe. The dealer you bought it from can easily replace the pistol or the complete trigger unit which they can get from Pedersoli. Frustrating for sure but don’t give up on it, it’s a great shooter.

I don't want to return it because its the only one in stock. as soon as I bought it Midway showed out of stock. Midway has big bold lettering all over the page that black powder arms are a non return item. I do want it fixed. I have an email in to Pedersoli . hopefully that pans out. I am really disappointed that this gun left the factory with such a glaring safety issue. of course the first thing I did was check the trigger pull with the set trigger and hammer on half cock as all my other set triggers you can check them that way without risking a dry hammer fall. it was so light it went before I was ready for it and I thought. wow! they really set that light. then I went to dry fire it with a cap on the nipple and found out that the hammer would not fall. I had to adjust it even lighter to get the hammer to fall when the trigger was pulled. so light that the hammer will fall if you just bump the pistol with your hand.

the pretty stuff on this pistol is almost flawless. Be nice if it actually worked.

Take the lock out and lightly oil it. Might wish to put a drop or two in the trigger as well. Have you tried backing out the adjustment screw on the trigger?
The trigger sets by pushing it forward.
If you already know these things that's fine: just trying to help.
These are well-made pistols and are used by many MLAIC competitors.

Last edited:
Well, I also have a Pedersoli percussion Le Page, so if the OP's pistol doesn't function, there's something amiss with it, because mine is perfect: it's beautiful, it functions perfectly, and it shoots like a tack driver. If the OP's pistol is a new pistol, it's under warranty, so instead of bemoaning about it here, the OP should get this imperfect and defective pistol repaired or replaced. Hopefully, it was paid with a credit card, so there's some leverage. Because it's "the only one in stock" is no excuse to persue this course, because that's simply the copout of an impatient person. Ask me how I know, because I IS ONE.

Midway may not accept black powder returns, but I would call and discuss with them. This gun has never been fired and is obviously defective.
Midway has a great reputation for good customer service, and probably can help steer OP in proper direction, maybe even lend some leverage. Midway has a lot to lose here too with bad mojo surrounding a purchase.

I absolutely followed the instructions in the owners Manuel to try and adjust the trigger so that It would function properly. it does not. Furthermore the pistol should come from the factory in a safe functioning condition. I have registered the warrantee with Pedersoli and sent them an email with the description of the issue. If Midway had another gun in stock I absolutely would demand a trade but they do not so going through Pedersoli seems to be my best option.

I absolutely followed the instructions in the owners Manuel to try and adjust the trigger so that It would function properly. it does not. Furthermore the pistol should come from the factory in a safe functioning condition. I have registered the warrantee with Pedersoli and sent them an email with the description of the issue. If Midway had another gun in stock I absolutely would demand a trade but they do not so going through Pedersoli seems to be my best option.
I own a lot of Ped's. Yeah sometines QC sucks. I have always emailed Pedersoli and with in a few days they have emailed me back. They WILL fix your problem IF you are DECENT to them in your email.

So this arrived yesterday. View attachment 272127
beautifully made pistol. too bad it doesn't work :(
The set trigger lock is non functional. The way it came from the factory the set trigger was so light that it clicks off just by shaking the pistol or slapping it against your palm yet it wont actually drop the hammer. In order to get it to drop the hammer you need to set it so light that a feather will trip it and it does not pass the shake test much less the bump test. . setting the trigger to any sort of reasonable level it will not drop the hammer but will still click and unset by palm slapping the pistol. Pedersoli does not even have a customer service link on their website. the only contact link is for product information/ advertising. I did send my complaint via that link. Interesting that several of the folks on this site informed me that my $365.00 Traditions Trapper was a piece of junk yet it shot perfectly right out of the box and traditions has good customer service. this Pedersoli was over $1,700 after tax and shipping and it won't even drop the hammer...
Have you removed the lock and checked to see if all the screws are tight? I have a Charles Moore pistol that exhibited similar characteristics and it was as simple a fix as tightening some screws. I'll bet dollars to doughnuts that that's your problem.

I did not see any obvious adjustment screws other than the one by the trigger. my Trapper has additional adjustment screw inside the lock and has instructions in the manual for that screw.

Have you removed the lock and checked to see if all the screws are tight? I have a Charles Moore pistol that exhibited similar characteristics and it was as simple a fix as tightening some screws. I'll bet dollars to doughnuts that that's your problem.
Absolutely, or certain screws are to tight!

Latest posts

Back