• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

fallo deer vs Lyman

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you have trouble getting those Hornadys or the expense becomes bothersome, you might consider casting the Lyman Plains Bullet. It's essentially the same bullet at 450 grains, the 25 grain difference probably due to the fact that it has a solid nose rather than a hollow point. In my experience the two shoot identically, and you sure can't beat the cost when casting your own.

My biggest regret is that they only make it in 50 and 54 caliber, and my store of the now-discontinued 58 caliber Hornady is growing thin.

Pete, you assume wrong. Real black powder is all I have ever used, in fact it's all I can get. When you see black powder or any components here for that matter you buy it.

Brownbear, I read somewhere (maybe wrongly) that the Lyman great plains bullet was inherently inaccurate. Is that not the case? If not then I'd be crazy not to buy a mold as the cost of shipping on the Hornady bullets is 100% on retail.

I have a half dozen boxes of Hornday G/P in .58 since I sold my T/C big boar (wasn't trad enough), but I don't think the US customs would let them through to you. They seem to have lost their sense of humour of late. And it seems the more that government departments make us out to be criminals the more valid their roles appear.

Keen to hear your thoughts on the Lyman bullet and what you shot it out of, etc.

For what it's worth I'm told Fallow deer are the only other deer species besides moose to have palmated antlers.

This is just not fair at all!, posting deer pictures,While here in the States we still have around 3 months to go before deer season opens.BTW good shooting!

Kapow said:
Brownbear, I read somewhere (maybe wrongly) that the Lyman great plains bullet was inherently inaccurate. Is that not the case? If not then I'd be crazy not to buy a mold as the cost of shipping on the Hornady bullets is 100% on retail.

I have a half dozen boxes of Hornday G/P in .58 since I sold my T/C big boar (wasn't trad enough), but I don't think the US customs would let them through to you. They seem to have lost their sense of humour of late. And it seems the more that government departments make us out to be criminals the more valid their roles appear.

Keen to hear your thoughts on the Lyman bullet and what you shot it out of, etc.

For what it's worth I'm told Fallow deer are the only other deer species besides moose to have palmated antlers.

Our experience with them here is the opposite, but that could boil down to individual gun differences I suppose, or details of loading. I don't find either the Hornady or the Lyman as accurate as I would expect for long range shooting without the addition of a lubed felt wad under them. A friend complained about comparative inaccuracy with the Lyman until we discovered that he was using mildly alloyed lead rather than pure. Lube choice has not proven a factor in accuracy in any that I've seen, but others claim differently.

Can we add caribou/reindeer to the list with palmated antlers? I'm not enough of a biologist to confirm or deny that they're "deer," but they certainly can have palmated antlers much like the fallo.

Appreciate the thought on the 58 Hornady's, but getting them not just into the US, but then further along into Alaska might prove a little too entertaining. You might want to get them to the new owner of the Big Boar. I've had TSA confiscate them from my luggage on airline flights, and no amount of complaining and reasoning ever got them back- even after TSA admitted they weren't illegal to fly with. :youcrazy:

Congratulations on such a fine trophy taken with a muzzleloader. To the best of my knowledge those deer are fine to eat.

Out of curiosity, are there any special Australian recipes you plan to use for the meat? Thanks

bigbore442001 said:
Out of curiosity, are there any special Australian recipes you plan to use for the meat? Thanks

Oh man.... Great question!!! :hatsoff:

Fess up Kapow. Venison lovers around the world are always looking for new preparations!

Never even thought of caribou which is a bit daft cause there's one hanging in the stairwell! They sort of palmate, but big fallow deer almost look like mini moose antlers on the body of a whitetail. How cool would it be to have shot every species of deer in the world.

As a matter of fact I just turned the oven on now for a Sunday venison roast dinner. At home I massage olive oil and herbs, salt/pepper onto the roast and cook in a plastic oven bag to keep it moist with a bit of flour. Usual vegies. In the bush same deal but in an iron dutch oven on a bed of coals. Or butterfly backstrap steaks, tenderised wih mallet fried in olive oil, nice and simple. Winter here at the moment and a "chilly" 80degF :blah:

Will give that Lyman mold a go for sure.

Ah man.... And I haven't had breakfast yet! That sounds excellent.

On the species, let's see now.....

Yukon moose? Check.
Shiras moose? Check.
European moose? Nope.
Roosevelt Elk? Check.
Rocky Mountain Elk? Check.
Tule Elk? Nope.
Caribou? Check.
Feral reindeer? Check.
Mule Deer? Check.
Columbia blacktail? Check.
Sitka blacktail? Check.
Coues whitetail? Check.
Eastern whitetail? Check.
Fallo deer? Nope.
Sikka deer? Nope.

Dang. I'm sure I've left some off the list.

With all those Nopes in there, it looks like I have my work cut out for me. Especially if I want to go back and check the whole list with a muzzleloader! :grin:

I can't shed the notion of going back for Coues whitetail with a muzzleloader. Those little tiny buggers are so hard to hunt with any rifle, I figure a muzzleloader might keep be busy for about 10 years of trying! :rotf:

They both die easy with good hits, hard with bad hits. I can shoot elk off my porch at our place in the Southwest and haul their carcasses with a tractor, but I have to fly in for moose and haul them out on my back in pieces for miles across muskeg. In that sense, the elk are as easy to kill as a beef in a chute.

Well boys the hindquarter yearling fallow roast melted in my mouth. You'd pay big 'bucks' for that in a restaurant (get it???)

In this country from smallest to largest we have: hog deer (like a roe), Chital deer (Axis from India), fallow deer (the most common), rusa deer, red deer and sambar deer (also from India and the size of elk). Plenty to keep a man busy. No official seasons other than dictated by climate and antler growth. We can literally hunt deer all year round.

And then of course there are millions of pigs, goats, buffalo, wild camels, donkeys, cattle. Small game is rabbits and foxes and waterfowl.

Australia is the same size as mainland USA with the population of New York. Even so it is unfortunate that some of the wide open spaces and wilderness areas are becoming all too accessable. Despite all this I still daydream of moose and elk. I think it's the travel and adventure of hunting in a foreign place.

Wherever you are and whatever you hunt good luck to you all and congratulations on choosing to do it the hard way with primitive weapons.

I'm yet to see a feral moggie shot by a muzzle-loader; but I wouldn't eat one in either case ... :shocked2:

Back