• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

First successful muzzleloader hunt

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Floridave

32 Cal
Reaction score
HI All,
Happy to have found this forum as I get back to shooting my muzzleloader. I have a Lyman Great Plains 54 cal that I built from kit near 30 years ago. Been hanging on my office wall since then, probably shot it about 20 -30 times. Took it hunting for the first time in Louisiana couple weeks ago and was successful in tagging a big doe. With the 25-30 year old caps, round ball and Pyrodex I bought way back then! Now It's time to find some new powder and caps and stock up. I also need to figure out a better sight than the current fixed open sights.

MuzzleDeer_20231023.jpg

Congrats on the doe and finally putting the ole girl (rifle of course) to use! May you have many more successful hunts with it!

I purchased a used GPR about two years ago. It is a mid 80's model which needed a bit of slicking up but I was able to put it to use that first MZlder season on alargedoe, as well. They are dandy rifles, especially in .54 caliber. I hope to repeat the success again soon.

CONGRATULATIONS!
As far as a better sight recommendation, my first instinct is to suggest a Nightforce ATACR. They work WAY good! However, given your platform, you might find a peep sight of some sort to be a miracle...at least if your eyes are anywhere as old as mine are.

Yes, that's exactly what I was thinking, the 7-35x56mm of course 😂
Seriously, I do think things would improve with a peep, but they are getting difficult to find for this rifle.

While the rifle wouldn't be pre-drilled for it, any kind of tang or short vernier would work fine. Track of the Wolf shows many of those in stock. All kinds of sight suppliers would also have a variety of tang mounted peeps that would work. You don't have to limit yourself to the non-existent Lyman offerings.

Oh my goodness! That was so simple! $3 at Ace Hardware vs $150+ for a big monstrosity of a sight on the tang. A little drilling, some shaping and black it out and I think I'll be in business.

I'll probably try to find a knurled lock nut just for aesthetics, but to get things tested and working this is going to be fine.

THANK YOU!

Rear_Site_Pic.jpg

You did good work with the original sight. I'd stick with it but then I'm one of those guys who likes the look of traditional rifles and sights. Your GPR was probably the best of the production rifles when it came to looking like an original. They even had the sense not to call it a Hawken.
On the other hand, that set up you have pictured could have a couple of holes drilled in it for two different elevations.

I don't disagree with you at all on the looks, in fact I spent a lot of time with a book of Hawken rifles in a book I have when I was building it and why I shy'ed away from those similar rifles that were selling with brass hardware patchboxes and stuff, just didn't look right. That's also why I browned it and didn't blue it, and why I really didn't want to put anything like the modern sight that Lyman at one time made for it. BUT, I really want to be comfortable with 100 yard shots on deer to effectively hunt a particular area, and I know I can do that with a rear mounted peep. ( I used to run a skinner peep on my 444 marlin lever and that works great when I don't want a scope)
So I think when installed it will be very unobtrusive. ( just FYI, my desperation move was going to be to replace the rear sight with a picatinny rail and mount a red dot :)

...A little drilling, some shaping and black it out and I think I'll be in business.

I'll probably try to find a knurled lock nut just for aesthetics, but to get things tested and working this is going to be fine.
Yep, will need all of that for final aesthetics, but as-is will give you the chance to try it out.

When all done, please report back on your results and post a pic of your final finished peep. :thumb:

Oh my goodness! That was so simple! $3 at Ace Hardware vs $150+ for a big monstrosity of a sight on the tang. A little drilling, some shaping and black it out and I think I'll be in business.

THANK YOU!

View attachment 267131
Please report back after you have it finished! Neat idea...

Latest posts

Back