• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

fallo deer vs Lyman

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kapow

45 Cal.
Reaction score
2010-11deeretc023.jpg

2010-11deeretc012.jpg

My first muzzleloader hunt in about 10 years. My first new rifle in about fifteen years and the first day out with it. Lyman .54 cal hunter barrel shooting 425gn Hornady great plains bullets over 100gn FFg. Shot distance 60metres.

Also my first attempt at photo bucket so fingers crossed. :redface:

So that's what a fallo deer looks like. :hmm:

I'm not too computer savvy, but I've finally learned how to post photos here. Start a post here and minimize it. Now go to your album in photobucket and place your curser on the photo you want. A menu should open up under the photo. Find the IMG CODE and copy the info in the tan area next to it. Re-open your post on this board and click on where the text goes. Right click the mouse and you should see PASTE. Left click on paste and the photo info should appear on the page. If you are not sure if it is right, hit preview down below and the photos should appear correctly in the preview section.

I figured all this out by myself. :rotf: Try it again Kapow and see if it works for you. Bill

Thanks. I had a great 10 days hunting. This was on the first day. He was really only a cull stag. Shot another much better stag with the bow a few days later. Also a young one to eat.

There is no limit on them so try to make sure they just get managed. I had a huge stag at 60m but had my bow in hand not the rifle otherwise he would have joined the list. Heaps of kangaroos, goats and pigs on the place so have plenty of targets to put the rifle through it's paces.

Excellent! And even better, lots more in the future.

I'm curious if you managed to recover any the Great Plains, or examined the wound channel.

Wow, pretty animals. Those antlers look like they belong in the last ice age. Congratulations. :thumbsup: Bill

Thanks fellas. My shooting has come a long way since then and its only been a month or two. Am a convert to fffg powder instead of Ffg. It just always seems to ignite.

Am now shooting the 425gn Hornady great plains bullet over 90gn fffg and tracked down some remington caps, a definite improvement over cci.

Brownbear, I never did find those bullets. It's a mystery. I shot a big boar with the same bullet in .58 cal a few years ago and it steamed right through him. They are deadly accurate so I need to knock over a few more critters and see if they do it again.

Have my eye on a .40cal flintlock poorboy and a .58 fullstock and I reckon I'll have it covered.

Am hunting not far from home on east coast of Australia. Fallow deer are not native but have been running wild for about 150 years since they were released by first settlers as part of an 'acclimatisation' program to make Australia more like England. Five other species of deer, foxes and rabbits, goats and pigs were also released. We don't quite have game like you guys but there's no seasons and no where near the number of hunters after them.

Nice shooting! Lyman make a good product that doesn't break the bank either. Good to see an Aussie photo in the hunting section.

Latest posts

Back