• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Endoscope recommendations

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

longcruise

70 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm going to add an endoscope to my kit and I'd like some suggestions on which one. I don't want to spend a whole lot of $$$. Looking for an economical unit that you have hands on with.

I'm going to add an endoscope to my kit and I'd like some suggestions,,
Well you've been a member for 18yrs and lived happily without one.
My experience here in the past 14yrs with people using them that share is that they become concerned and sometimes quite distressed about what they see.
When most of what they see in magnified views of their bore is less concerning than if they used the same device to look at their toenails!
In any case, functioning units are found on amazon for between $15-30, look for small diameters of 5-5.5mm for the most versatility and pay attention to what they are compatable with and how they connect too, USB(computer) or Mini-USB(smartphone) being the most common.
Good luck, they seem like a fun toy to play with, ✌️

Last edited:
My Teslong WiFi borescope will definitely let you know if you have rust, crud, carbon buildup or whatever. Below are photographs of the same spot in a bore, before and after a cleanup. Using one of their WiFi models with photographs saved on my phone.

Suggest you avoid a borescope as unless you are willing to actually see the condition of your prized muzzleloader bore and not cry.
1655741818054.jpeg

1655741868284.jpeg

I like the part about 18 years of living happily without one!
When I looked at the photos from a colonoscopy I saw myself from a whole different perspective!
That's funny! They used to be called proctologist, but mine says he prefers to be called a gastroenterologist, says he approaches things from both ends. Didn't make me feel any better.

The only reason that I would consider a bore scope is if I had a suspect barrel. If it shoots good and has no issues who cares what it looks like? I remember trying contact lenses and was looking in a magnifying mirror. Scarier than any movie I've ever seen and I don't want to see that again.

You will get my vote for the Teslong. Mine just arrived last Thursday and I have had some time to play with it. As I am still in the dark ages with only a flip phone I purchased the NTG-100 that plugs into the USB port on my PC. You will get a three mirror set with the NTG series. I believe all three are .200 in diameter. They also offer a 5 mirror set for larger bores. It's only $19.00 and I believe I will order those also. Wish I would have seen them before I ordered the scope.
I totally agree with those that are saying you may be just as well off without one. The final clean patch method has worked well for me for years. If I did not have a "suspect barrel" I would not have a bore scope.
I hope I don't get spanked here but I am currently working on a barrel on a Springfield Model 1898 that may have seen service in the Spanish American war and was carried across Europe by my grandfather in WW1. With the teslong I am able to view the rifling for its entire length and see the buildup that is probably over 100 years old and wonder how I am ever going to get it out of there. No way I could have ever seen this with a bore light in that long barrel and I do think that in this case it is severe enough that it is critical that it is removed.
Anyway, I don't regret the purchase. It does a great job. I may find out differently but I do believe the larger diameter mirrors will be easier to use in my muzzleloaders.
Take care,
Ed

I have a Y camera brand(china). I got it to inspect used barrels before purchasing if the breech plug was still in. It’s a 7mm, and should have gotten the 5mm. It does have a 15 or so foot cable and have used it for inspecting others stuff as well, like the central vac, and the kitchen sink drain pipe. Try to avoid inspecting that If you don`t need to. Probably worse than looking at colonoscopy pictures.

I bought one off Amazon that works on the phone. Didn't like the apps available to make it work. Returned it and got a complete unit with a rechargeable battery and dual lenses, front and side, for less than $60. Use it at work for checking cylinder walls and pistons. Also found a socket, 10mm, that fell behind the engine block.
Works as well as a $60 toy should. Never looked at a bore yet. I'd be more interested in looking at the erosion on a flash hole than the bore.

Back