• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Question about powder

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CheckYosef94

32 Cal
Reaction score
Hey everyone! I'm new to this and haven't even finished my flintlock rifle kit yet but I'm trying to piece together a lot of information. What are y'alls recommendations for powder and where should I be looking for powder? I'm located in NC if that plays any part. Thanks for any information.

Best bet buy at least 5 lbs online at Grafs, Powder Inc, Powder Valley, Traveler's Antiques - whichever has the best price including shipping and hazmat. If you can get a few friends to buy some you can get your price down to @$24-25 lb for Schuetzen and $30-32 for Swiss and buy up to 25 lbs.

Real Black powder. Swiss works good. Scheutzen is pretty good but is a little bit harder to light off in my guns. Gary covered the sources.
That’s interesting that Schuetzen is harder to ignite in your firearms.
I have never experienced different ignition speeds between black powder brands.
What do you suppose is causing your issue?

Schuetzen is over-graphited. I'm talking Graf & Son's house brand powder which I believe to be bulk imported Schuetzen bottled for the store brand. It is very good powder when lit but I get a LOT of flashes in the pan, even with proper picking, even with the best locks and flash hole liners money can buy. The most helpful thing for me was to pick the FH after seating the ball and worm the pick around to fracture granules and expose the insides to the flash. Inserting a pick, ramming the load, and then removing the pick didn't help much.

Hey everyone! I'm new to this and haven't even finished my flintlock rifle kit yet but I'm trying to piece together a lot of information. What are y'alls recommendations for powder and where should I be looking for powder? I'm located in NC if that plays any part. Thanks for any information.
Make your own.

Schuetzen is over-graphited. I'm talking Graf & Son's house brand powder which I believe to be bulk imported Schuetzen bottled for the store brand. It is very good powder when lit but I get a LOT of flashes in the pan, even with proper picking, even with the best locks and flash hole liners money can buy. The most helpful thing for me was to pick the FH after seating the ball and worm the pick around to fracture granules and expose the insides to the flash. Inserting a pick, ramming the load, and then removing the pick didn't help much.
Interesting, my "bottom tier" Traditions Kentucky rifle fires it lightening fast . 3F down the bore either 4F or 3f in the pan depending on what I'm doing. Same results with Goex 2F also.

What caliber ? The old rule was 50 and up 2F and 50 and below 3F, with the 50 handling both . However many, myself included, use 3F in everything regardless of caliber. Swiss is deemed as the best you can buy, but Goex and Schutzen work equally as well for banging steel . Stick with any real black powder and you'll be fine.

Best bet buy at least 5 lbs online at Grafs, Powder Inc, Powder Valley, Traveler's Antiques - whichever has the best price including shipping and hazmat. If you can get a few friends to buy some you can get your price down to @$24-25 lb for Schuetzen and $30-32 for Swiss and buy up to 25 lbs.
Thats my ditto advice, the only way to go

Goex American made black powder is back in production and being shipped to distributors. Deer Creek Products and Back Creek Gun Shop recently received shipments. Others on the east coast will shortly.
Wonder, is there any ongoing discussion to have Goex going back into the Graf bottles?

Back