• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My blunderbuss options

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm guessing today, for the most part, your choices are an India made gun, or a kit of some sort. If you're super patient, you might get lucky and find one of the old Pedersoli brass barreled models from the 1970's for sale. And an original brass barreled one would not be out of the question. The original iron barreled ones seem to have the bores pretty chewed up. Otherwise, if you can find a barrel, everything else can be made. They are probably not practical for target shooting or hunting. And generally I don't think they would be useful past about 15-yards. But that's all they were generally made for. Like an early style of sawed-off shotgun. I've never tried to shoot mine with a single ball. Just larger 00 size shot. It's devastating at 7-yards. And, they are indeed a blast to shoot.

Here is my blunderbuss. It's an 11-gauge with a thick breech for heavy loads. Made by the late Ben Coogle. The gun was assembled by Mike Brooks. I'm the second owner. The original owner must have been a large/tall guy as the LOP is about 15". I thought about having the butt stock shortened to 14". But thought that the LOP with this style of gun wouldn't make much difference. So left it as is. It balances very nice at the shoulder. I'm getting ready to start thinning my herd, but I would have a hard time letting this one go.

Rick

blunderbuss 001 (Medium).jpg
blunderbuss 002 (Medium).jpg
blunderbuss 003 (Medium).jpg
blunderbuss 008 (Medium).jpg
blunderbuss 009 (Medium).jpg

Hi Swab

LOL. I can so picture that swivel gun being used to rip holes in the enemy's ship sails or clearing a deck before boarding. That gun is so cool.

Rick
I would take one on a trip to post apocalyptic NY City to hunt zombies and call it something like Street Sweeper

And I just found his little sister

1472210777.jpg
1680671155.jpg

Last edited:
Clay Smith has a 4 bore oct/round blunderbuss barrel on sale for $350. Custom made, just look on his site under Trade Blanket section. You want a real blunderbuss barrel, that's the one.

Clay Smith has a 4 bore oct/round blunderbuss barrel on sale for $350. Custom made, just look on his site under Trade Blanket section. You want a real blunderbuss barrel, that's the one.
That's a good price ... had one, sold it for $400. Pecatonica IIRC had them made up for a few kits, but don't have any of the components thereof or any parts left. I forget the owner's name, but I talked to him about getting a stock and such and informed me that after making one ... he wouldn't make another, take for whatever he intoned.

What about Hand Gonne? I see Rifle Shoppe carries 3 different styles at very attractive price and as usual they hardly have any pictures. Was wondering how RS interpretation of Tannenberg style brass gonne looks like

fantastic, thank you Dale, it looks authentic enough and I like it more then the other 2 styles that they have. Will call Jane tomorrow to place order

How many grains you load her with?
I meant gonne not Jane lol

Last edited:
Hard to get excited to spend the $$$$ that Traditions wants for their ‘blunderbuss’ since it is a cap lock.

Now, if it was a flintlock; yeah, it would be a not doubt buy.
You can get the same blunderbuss in flint. I picked up one last fall. Works fine. Watch the Youtube video of a guy who will use it for turkey hunting.

You can get the same blunderbuss in flint. I picked up one last fall. Works fine. Watch the Youtube video of a guy who will use it for turkey hunting.
I do appreciate showing that to me.

https://muzzle-loaders.com/products/traditions-flintlock-blunderbuss-kit-54-caliber-kr510
traditions-flintlock-blunderbuss-kit-rifle-54-caliber-kr510_1200x400.jpg

Now, if memory doesn't totally fail me. There was a member here that stated that he had shortened the barrel to just forward of the liner in the barrel so that there was just a trace of muzzle flare left. Then did some judicious thinning of that stock such as thinned the wrist, made the transition from wrist to comb more distinct, thinned the butt stock (feel like an ijit that I cannot think of the correct name for the bulged lower part of the stock with a much relieved line coming from the wrist.. ¿'rail'? typified by the Brown Bess ) and took off a cord or so of wood from the forearm so that it was a respectable 'canoe gun'. Nice work. Didn't recognize it as a Traditions kit until he mentioned it.

Just noticed that the flintlock is $579 with the percussion is $120 cheaper at $459. :dunno:
I picked up the flinter. This is so I can do Mt. Man or early 1800's reenactments. Caplocks weren't around that early(1820 ish).

Latest posts

Back