• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Drill or Solder

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fishdog

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I am ready to install the barrel rib on the half stock rifle I am building. I would like to here your thoughts on the best way to stick it down. Is the low temp. solder TOW sells any good? How hard is it to use?

Scott

fishdog said:
I am ready to install the barrel rib on the half stock rifle I am building. I would like to here your thoughts on the best way to stick it down. Is the low temp. solder TOW sells any good? How hard is it to use?

Scott

I have never done it .. but seems like I have seen where both methods are combined for best results! :hmm:

Davy

Davy

I've done it both ways and I prefer solder just because drilling holes in a barrel is always a bit scary to me. I once drilled right into the bore of a 15/16x.54. When I drilled, I did not use screws but pins, staked into the hole in the barrel and peened into countersunk holes in the rib. Once filed flush they are invisible.
Whatever solder you use, and low temp is OK, you'll want to tin the barrel and rib seperatly, then clamp and sweat them togather. It requires a lot of heat over a large area so the low temp may be best. Good Luck and have fun!

I've soldered several on with Tix solder from Brownells. It melts at slightly over 200 F which seems pretty cool as far as soldering goes but it is easy to do an seems strong enough. Regular plumbers solder that is silver and tin (no lead) melts at over 400 F (I think) and also works well. Probably stronger too. I just use a propane torch and try to heat the barrel evenly. It will take 10 or 15 minutes to get it all up to working temp. Brownells also sells a liquid flux to go with their Tix solder. I like them because you don't have to get the barrel so hot. you have to clamp up the ramrod pipes at the same time if you are soldering them too.

Back