• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hawken Rib install

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Myers

32 Cal
Reaction score
I am finally ready to install the rib on the 1" oct. barrel and i have seen two ways of doing this. Soldering and posting. I think the soldering will be faster and easier for me but knowing me i will do it wrong so i am looking into the post. I see a #3 nail is used and you drill into the barrel 1/8th ". how much of the post is put into the barrel is my first question. second is how tall is the cut out on the nail that is set inside the barrel so the nail set keeps the post in the barrel tight. Is the top of the notched post level with the barrel? I have seen the pics and looked at them close and read the article but did not see all the infomation i need for doing this correct. Any help is appreciated. By the way i dont mind to solder just think it will not solder correctly if prepared correctly too.

THank you.
Chris

This is how I did it. It's in the what muzzleloading stuff did you do today. If you search for barrel rib installation it will be there.
Installed a barrel rib on a half stock build.
The first thing to do is to locate the ramrod pipes and mark them. Note the bend in the rib.
View attachment 275910
Next I drilled a clearance hole for the 6x48 filister head screws followed by a relief for the screw head. This was drilled just deep enough to keep the screw slot above the rib.

View attachment 275914

View attachment 275915

After this step I drilled and tapped the screw holes to a .150" depth. Then I dressed off the screws so that they protruded .100 from the rib. Then I filed a notch in the rib to fit the pipes. I filed a flat on the pipes the width of the rib which makes for a smooth ramrod entry. After all this I soldered on the pipes with Brownells High Force 44 solder. For some reason I couldn't get my silver solder to work so I used the softer solder which flowed very well. Then it was time to tin both the rib and the barrel flat with 50/50 solder, screw the rib in place and heat the whole works up until the solder flowed. While it was still hot I cranked the screws down tight.

Then it was just a matter of cleaning up the mess and filing the screw heads off with a round file.

View attachment 275916

The last photo shows the muzzle end roughly dressed off and the faint solder joint.

View attachment 275917

My first rib that I tried to attach using peened rivets was my LAST attempt. My drill stop that I had on the drill bit moved and I drilled through the barrel wall into the bore - the barrel is now trashed and in the scrap pile to be used for a few pistols. I now solder ALL my ribs on.

Latest posts

Back