• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Need a smith to solder a rib on my flinter

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have an older (1970 vintage build) custom flintlock rifle with a detached underbarrel rib. It looks like someone tried to repair it in the past with epoxy or JB weld, which has since failed. I am looking at someone who can solder it back on. My local gunsmith works on modern stuf and has never done low temp soldering. In Montana or nearby is a plus. Looking for recommendations.

Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_2658.jpg
    IMG_2658.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_2659.jpg
    IMG_2659.jpg
    153.5 KB · Views: 0
It might be easier to find someone who can screw the rib on. That's a traditional way of attaching them. The rib is drilled and counter bored to contain the screw head. After the barrel has been drilled and tapped the screw is installed and the head is filed off to the contour of the rounded bottom of the rib. If there is a space at the muzzle end of the rib and barrel that space is filled with solder. Any machinist should be able to do this for you.

If you have no experience in soldering ribs on ML rifles I would not try it on a nice rifle such as that. I would say the same for drilling for small screws to attach the rib to that barrel. If you want to try either of these methods get a trashed barrel and do some practicing. The best would be to find someone that has done many of either method and send the barrel and rib off to them.

It might be easier to find someone who can screw the rib on. That's a traditional way of attaching them. The rib is drilled and counter bored to contain the screw head. After the barrel has been drilled and tapped the screw is installed and the head is filed off to the contour of the rounded bottom of the rib. If there is a space at the muzzle end of the rib and barrel that space is filled with solder. Any machinist should be able to do this for you.
The barrel is pretty thin, being a repurposed .58 cal rifled musket barrel. I'm not sure if there's enough material.

Attachments

• IMG_2660.jpg
    IMG_2660.jpg
    205.1 KB · Views: 0
If you have no experience in soldering ribs on ML rifles I would not try it on a nice rifle such as that. I would say the same for drilling for small screws to attach the rib to that barrel. If you want to try either of these methods get a trashed barrel and do some practicing. The best would be to find someone that has done many of either method and send the barrel and rib off to them.
That is exactly who I am trying to find. I've done a bit of low temp soldering for knives, but I'm concerned about messing up this rifle. I'd rather have an experienced pro do it.

3M 5200 adhesive will secure that rib for the next 500 years.

This way you're not introducing heat.

Takes a full week to cure, but that's the price you pay for permanence.

When soldering these two items together you need enough heat to heat up BOTH pieces together for at least 2-1/2" to 3" and keep the area hot enough to melt the solder and keep it flowing as you move the heat down (or up) the barrel/rib to the end to get a GOOD joint - without burning the flux - I wish you well and good luck;).

I'll look into it. I noticed that the rod ferrules are also soldered onto the rib, so soldeering with rib onto the barrel without desoldering the ferrules might be an issue. That might be why it was glued on in the first place.

I have an older (1970 vintage build) custom flintlock rifle with a detached underbarrel rib. It looks like someone tried to repair it in the past with epoxy or JB weld, which has since failed. I am looking at someone who can solder it back on. My local gunsmith works on modern stuf and has never done low temp soldering. In Montana or nearby is a plus. Looking for recommendations.

Thanks.
That’s a very nice rifle.

I had a rib glued on with the 3m .It was a o/u 12 gauge skeet gun that was used a lot and it is still solid today after 30 years and thousands of shoots

If you end up gluing this rib on look into the 3M Scotch-Weld epoxies. We glued high end commercial doors together, stainless steel, bronze, brass, etc with them where welding wasn't an option on some of the joints. Some of my doors are in the US Embassy in China built new during the tail end of the Bush 2 administration.

Latest posts

Back