• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Does Everybody Shoot Muzzleloaders On The 4th?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I pinky promise I will not be using plastic film cans masking tape and fuse on the fouth.

I think the bang and smoke would freak the neihbors.

How do I shoot a nice loud blank? I have always wondered and does it hurt the rifle?

How do I shoot a nice loud blank? I have always wondered and does it hurt the rifle?

No, but it does make it dirty, you will have to clean it just like when you're done shooting...

Loose powder in a barrel will make a nice loud bang, be sure to have the barrel elevated a bit to keep the powder in the breech area...

Use a standard charge of powder, there is no projectile to push, so there is less pressure developed...

A paper wad or cotton ball will help hold the powder down, but then you have the risk of flaming material falling on someone's roof...

Now, about those film containers... :D

I did that too, only with black electrical tape...

No. I used to shoot my flintlock on every 4th but Phoenix has revised the laws making the "shooting of a gun into the air" a felony. I can't risk some idiot turning me in, and I know the police would not believe that I was shooting blanks if I swore to it on a stack of tax recepts.

The law, came about several years ago when a girl was killed by a falling slug which hit her in the head. It was fired on New Years Eve, but the law applies all year long.

Now, the only time I intend to fire a gun in the city limits will be when some moron kicks in my front door.
Fortunatly for me, if that happens here, the law will be on my side.

OK, I know, no politics. ::

how heavy would a bullit have to be to do serious damage dropping from the sky???? did anyone ever work on this???

how heavy would a bullit have to be to do serious damage dropping from the sky???? did anyone ever work on this???

It all depends on how far it dropped, a penny dropped from the top of the Sears Tower will pick up enough velocity to go lengthwise through a human and stick into the cement...

Gravity pulls at 32 feet per second, per second...

I don't know what it's terminal velocity was, but it was terminal to a teenage girl.

I was walking thru the concrete parking lot where I worked one day and noticed a copper colored object laying there. I went over and picked it up.
Turns out it was a FMJ .30 cal bullet. Looked like something a .30 Carbine would shoot.
The nose of it was totally flattened and bulged to about .35 caliber. No marks on it except the rifling and some concrete dust on the nose.
IMO, if it hit hard enough to change shape, as it did, it could hit someones head and make a hole it it.

Anyway. HAPPY FOURTH OF JULY TO YOU ALL!! :hatsoff:

I'd hate to catch anything over 100 grains or so. 32 ft/sec^2 from 1,000 to 3,000 ft up brings 'em down with a vengance. Lead is a bit denser than hail/ice.

Back on subject: I went out and shot up a can with my .54 flinter for the 4th.

It all depends on how far it dropped, a penny dropped from the top of the Sears Tower will pick up enough velocity to go lengthwise through a human and stick into the cement...

Gravity pulls at 32 feet per second, per second...

Not true except in a vacuum. Here are some links to "random falling bullet" and "penny dropping" data. :D

http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a950414b.html

http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a1_225.html

Best,

Buffler Runner

Yep, they disproved that myth on Mythbusters one night as well. They even made a gun that would shoot a penny with MORE velocity than it would reach falling from a building and reaching terminal velocity, and Adam stuck his hand under it and got shot by it and it just bounced off his palm.

Now, a penny is definitely not a 180-grain Nosler Partition...

back in the 1970's, some jerk in Lewis Morris County Park in Morris County NJ got tired of shoot his .303 SMLE at turtles, and fired a round in the air. Some poor guy, working on his house's roof, elsewhere in the county took the hit and died...I've forgotten the exact location of the victim, but my recollect is that it was at least a mile from where the shot was fired...good police work nailed the jerk..Hank

I shot my ML at a cookout/pool party/shutzenfest Sunday 3 July. I cleaned the ML on the 4th.

I had the only ML in our group. Lots of fun!

High Power,
I like your avatar of Hatchet Jack.
Did anyone else recognize it?

Huntin

Your the first to call him out! I looked high and low to find a shot of him! I really love the note hatchet wrote as well! "It is a good rifle that killed the bear that killed me" "Hope the man that finds it be white" Good words from a dying man :front:

A bullet fired straight up does stop at apogee, and then just falls back to earth. A bullet fired at an angle still has the sideways vector of speed. So, a bullet fired "in the air" is not equal for all angles. That .303 bullet may have been "falling to earth" at 32ft/sec^2, but at a 45

Normally no, not on the 4th of July do I fire weapons.

It is a time of celebration, remembrance and reflectance for me and a few alcoholic drinks here and there is fairly common.
As such, weapons are not allowed if drinking is.

:peace: :thumbsup:

However, if you are looking to make noise, loading your powder (about 20grains or so) and then a wad or a wadded up patch to hold the powder in place will do the trick.

Huntin

Will glady let a few blast go down range for you this weekend!!!!

It will cost you though! I miss :cry: my belt fed toys that Uncle Sam let me shoot....So if you can. :hatsoff:
Even if you don't, a cylinder full from the Walker will go down range in you honor

Be careful over there!

Semper FI

Latest posts

Back