• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cataract Surgury and Shooting

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had both of mine done years ago. Fixed focus lenses. I found a thing called Eye Pal that made all the difference in the world. I could shoot without it, but putting them on my long distance glasses was amazing.

For those on Medicare and contemplating cataract surgery, you must wait until the doctor says the cataracts are ready for surgery in order for Medicare to cover it. You can get a Standard Lens which is covered by Medicare and requires reading glasses, an Eyhance Toric Lens which corrects for astigmatism which was a $1750 upgrade and requires reading glasses, or the Multifocal Lens which is a $2,750 upgrade and no reading glasses or computer glasses needed. These prices are for each eye. Add $2,000 for laser surgery to each eye if wanted. I had the Eyhance Toric lenses in both eyes with standard surgery in my bad eye and laser surgery in the good eye. The surgeon gave me the Toric lens gratis in my bad eye. Nice gesture.

Your prices me be different but this is what information I had.

My experience was incredible as well. I got Panoptixs (for far, mid and near vision) in both eyes 2 months ago. I can see and focus at all distances and havent touched readers since the surgery.

With regular rifle and pistol irons I have no problems with a clean focus on rears and fronts and target. 20/20 in dominant right eye and 20/40 in left (it was bad and has some retina damage, too). Right eye was perfect the next day and the left was not as good, but I expected that with the retina damage. Doc says it could improve a little more but I think they are where they are gonna stay. No complaints here! For me they were amazing and should have bit the bullet 5 years ago. Anyone on the fence, should start seriously considering it.

Only two cons, at least with Panoptixs: You will get starburst with headlights and some bright lights but I got used to that pretty quick and heck, you don't stare at bright lights anyway. And my eyes are a lot more light sensitive now than before.

Good luck!

Exciting news for me- I will be having my first (of two) cataract surgeries later this week, with the second scheduled a couple weeks afterwards.
I am assuming my long gun shooting will be put on hold for a while, but that by mid to late October I can start again. I will be asking the surgeon of course.
I will need to ask him if pistol shooting can be an option in the nearer future? That might be an option I can certainly live with 😊
Looking forward to clear vision, nonetheless🥳... I go to america and buy a cataract

Exciting news for me- I will be having my first (of two) cataract surgeries later this week, with the second scheduled a couple weeks afterwards.
I am assuming my long gun shooting will be put on hold for a while, but that by mid to late October I can start again. I will be asking the surgeon of course.
I will need to ask him if pistol shooting can be an option in the nearer future? That might be an option I can certainly live with 😊
Looking forward to clear vision, nonetheless🥳
goh wong wei...I go to america to buy cataract or rinkon

Yes Medicare covers the single lense type of lenses. It makes it ver affordable. The eye doctor at their surgicare center has a fancy laser machine that does take care of the astigmatism too. But it costs extra. I did not opt for the fancy multi focal lenses as I know some guys that had problems with them when using rifles. Your head may not be at a angle that lets the bifocal lense work right.

Also check out the dollar stores as they sometimes get in batches of reading glasses to sell cheap. I went to one a “$1.25 and under” store and they had a large assortment for $1.25 each. I went a bit wild. The pharmacy, Wal Mart, Office Depot etc have them too but they want a lot more for them. Costco sells them in three or four packs at a price that isn’t too bad too.

It's kind of a toss up what you get. My lady and I both had cataract surgery a couple of years ago. Mine didn't seem to affect how I could see the sights just made colors a lot brighter. I still have to have glasses especially to read. With Her's she came out with 20/20.

Best of luck to ye, Pathfinder. Some years ago I worked for a company that manufactured implantable lenses for cataract patients (among other things). My mother had a pair of "our" lenses implanted and was absolutely delighted that she no longer needed glasses -- for the first time since she was a teen-ager. Then, like several others here, I had my own cataract surgery some years ago. At the time my eyedoc said t'was time, I was in trifocals. He said "I can fix two of these sight ranges and correct your astigmatism too. Long range, mid-range, or up close. You pick." I chose to have him fix distance and mid-range. For fine work or reading, I wear drugstore readers, but my rifle and pistol sights are just clear as a bell. In those two ranges, my vision went from "just awful" to
20/20, and for the first time ever I didn't need spectacles to drive my vehicle. Got the requirement removed from my license the next time I renewed, and a new photo taken without glasses --- which I had worn since grade school. The surgery was fast, painless, bloodless, and recovery time was in hours.
I wish you the same good fortune.

I am facing cataract operations myself. I hate to do it because I hate to give up shooting which might happen, but keeping the sights and the target all properly set up is getting difficult. I can worry along with it for a while longer.
I surely wish you and everyone else here success with shooting and just seeing in general.

One thing I'd like to point out in this is we're 3 pages in with guys who shoot muzzleloaders that have had cataract surgery. Point is, it's sad that many still in this are old enough to need the operation. Time to get some young folks involved.

Just highlighting a symptom of a greater problem.....

One thing I'd like to point out in this is we're 3 pages in with guys who shoot muzzleloaders that have had cataract surgery. Point is, it's sad that many still in this are old enough to need the operation. Time to get some young folks involved.

At 48 I am def a youngster around these parts. Most circles I hang in I'm either among the older of the crowd if not the geezer in the group.
This thread got me to thinking I had LASIK a few months ago and have been too busy to enjoy any hobby stuffs. Just got my stuff out for some squirrel hunting later this week and it didn't occur to me I haven't looked down any iron sights yet. Since I had them set me up for long range and now need readers I had best go do that and see how it goes.

It can also be said that it is wonderful that there is a procedure that can allow us old timers to continue to shoot those muzzleloaders and perhaps train the young folks.

I put off having the cataract surgery for four years and just had it done a couple of months ago. I talked with many folks about their experience and opted to go with the high-definition distance lens in both eyes. I came out of this with 20/20 vision in both eyes. I use a 1.0 reader for the computer and when shooting, and a pair of 2.0 progressive readers for close work that have no power at the top and transition to the 2.0 at the bottom. Got them off of Amazon. To be honest, I waited so long that I was almost blind in my right eye before the surgery. Now I see colors and "Sights" like I did in my 20's. Between Medicare and my company health plan, I was out only the cost for the upgraded high-definition option and my Medicare deductible. My best advice is that if you are waiting to have this done, don't! The surgery was painless, and the benefits far, far outweighed the cost.

I had both eyes done about 12 years ago. I had an upgraded lenses implanted that provide some focus. Since that time some astigmatism has returned and I use prescription glasses for shooting and driving but most of the time done need them. Couldn’t be happier. I had worn glasses since I was 6-7 years old. I use low level readers for extended reading and close work.

Had mine done 3 1/2 years ago at the start of the lockdown, 2 weeks apart. Just barely got in to get it done about 2 weeks before all elective surgeries were cancelled for an indefinite period. Went from 20/250, 20/80 to 20/25, 20/20 L/R. I noticed in between the 2 surgeries that my depth perception was way off for that brief period. Got the multi-focal lenses and laser upgrades. No distance glasses, no reading glasses. Best investment I ever made! You don't realize what you weren't seeing until you can see it again! One side effect of the multi-focus lenses is a prismatic halo that appears around bright lights, like headlights. It's not disconcerting, but it's there.

Col. Batguano, have you mentioned the halo to your ophthalmologist? They may be able to do a laser zap to help with that. It’s been so long ago I don’t remember for sure but if I remember right I had something done a year or two after the initial surgery.

Just got back from first cataract removal of my right eye! Very blurry vision which is supposed to be normal for a few days. The Surgury was kind of cool. Got to see all sorts of LSDish colors as he worked on the eye. 15 minutes and done.
One more to go in two weeks!

Last edited:
Col. Batguano, have you mentioned the halo to your ophthalmologist? They may be able to do a laser zap to help with that. It’s been so long ago I don’t remember for sure but if I remember right I had something done a year or two after the initial surgery.

Actually, he was the one that alerted me to be on the lookout for it. He said that that was going to be a result of the newly installed lenses, (multi-focal lenses only, not the hard single focus lenses) and that it will be permanent. But honestly, unless he had pre-notified me to the fact that it would exist post-surgery, I wouldn't have even noticed it, it's that very slight. Now, in the ensuing 3 1/2 years that have elapsed (since the surgeries) they MAY have dealt with it (the technology is continually evolving), but I haven't heard so. I'm going to be seeing him later this month and will get an update.

As far as the size of the prismatic halo goes, I would say it only extends about 3-5 MOA around the light source (based on a standard 8 MOA round bull target at standard distance. As I said, pretty much nothing.

Compared to the very large "bright light splash" (probably 60-100 MOA depending on the intensity of the source) I had before the surgeries (head lights at night were pretty much blinding--I shouldn't have been driving at all), it is pretty much nothing. As an earlier post said, it was like looking through a VERY dirty yellowish windshield before, and the change was as dramatic and instantaneous as going through the car wash would be.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back