• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cataract Surgury and Shooting

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Where to begin? I guess I’ll start with the eye injuries over the years. I worked in machine shops for quite awhile and had metal chips in my eyes a few times over the years that I had removed. Working as a Land Surveyor for 20 years or so. Had wood chips stuck in my eyes and remove a few times, not to mention a stick jabbed into one eye. Anyway I have astigmatism also. Had LASIK in 1999. Had lots of floaters and halos after, and needed a touch up later that helped some. Also being in Florida and looking through magnifying lenses on the theodolites and levels in the bright sun finally gave me a cataract. Had the mono vision lense done and could see pretty good, even could read well, which I couldn’t do before. Except I still had a little blur from the astigmatism. Couple years later I developed a huge floater that was like a goldfish swimming in circles around and around in my eye! Finally couldn’t stand that anymore and had the floater removed. Next the other eye got a cataract about 4 years ago. My wife had just had both eyes done with multi focal lenses(Panoptix) with excellent results! So I decided to have that done so I wouldn’t need reading glasses ever. Well I’ve had mixed results. I may be getting another cataract developing in that eye because I have Halos back, plus I’m developing slight blurry vision again. I also have dry eye so had my tear ducts cauterized which helped a bit. But I have mixed feelings about the results. While I still have astigmatism somewhat and my vision is a little blurry still, at least I can see well enough to shoot long guns and handguns. And all things considered with all the damage done over the years I’m pretty blessed! Good luck with your surgeries! Most folks have excellent results, I just had a few setbacks!

My Cataract surgery last year cost me and my wife's 15 dollars an eye. The surgeries were great! My wife wore coke battle lenses since 6th grade. Now none, for reading she uses a 1.5 cheater from a big store at $4 a pair.

Mine improved to the same even though I did not need correction until I was 45. I have eye problems with diabetic retinography, but my vision still improved to 20-25 and 20-30 I see my sights better than I did 25 years ago.

Get the cataracts removed and new lenses. Discuss the lenses with the doctor and make sure they know you are a shooter. My doctor is also a shooter and you may be surprised.

I had a macular hole in my eye. After the surgery to repair that, the doctor told me in six months a cataract would form over that eye. Sure enough it did. They did the cataract surgery on that eye and I was amazed at how bright everything was after that. It's as if I was wearing amber lenses before the surgery.
Unfortunately, for me, I also had retina damage in that same eye. They tell me that cannot be repaired and I will have distorted vision forever. My shooting is not near as good as it used to be. Vertical lines like the front sights on my rifle are distorted and I sometimes cannot tell where the top of the site blade is.
It could be worse I guess. I've thought about switching to left hand shooting but not sure I can do that.
Your eyes and eyesight are amazing gifts. You dont realize that until you don't have it.
Good luck to everyone going through this. The technology they have today is amazing. You'll be happy with the final results.

My Cataract surgery last year cost me and my wife's 15 dollars an eye. The surgeries were great! My wife wore coke battle lenses since 6th grade. Now none, for reading she uses a 1.5 cheater from a big store at $4 a pair.

Mine improved to the same even though I did not need correction until I was 45. I have eye problems with diabetic retinography, but my vision still improved to 20-25 and 20-30 I see my sights better than I did 25 years ago.

Get the cataracts removed and new lenses. Discuss the lenses with the doctor and make sure they know you are a shooter. My doctor is also a shooter and you may be surprised.
That's great. I hope I can find someone that will go along with the program and finally take care of my particular issue. I have a replacement knee surgery coming up soon to take care of first. Then I plan on having a talk with some eye doctors.

Back