• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Dixon's Gun Fair

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

don hepler

58 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm headed to the Fair. Just wondering if there are other places to look for Traditional guns besides there. I'll be coming from Virginia, up I81 to Harrisburg, then over to Dixon's.

Anyone no if Tip Curtis, will be there?

I'll be there as well for the first time...coming from Buffalo, NY.

Looking for Tip as well, but I see that he is NOT on the Dixon confirmed list of vendors unfortunately.

I might have to call Tip. I bought a rifle from him at the Fair, at few years back. Wonderful rifle, for the first time project. Rifle was in the white, but so close to finished, that I could have taken it out and shot it. But, I had beginners luck and it turned out pretty nice.

It would be nice if the Muzzleloading Forum guys could have a get together.

Well, I been on the phone talking to Tip, and he said he is not able to set up at Dixon's, because he doesn't have any help. However, he will be at Friendship, in Sept.

I've been wanting to go to Friendship, sometime, anyway.

He is not doing rifles, totally in the white. He is staining them first. He said some people can not see the curl in the maple, and will pass on a really beautiful piece of wood. He does leave the metal in the white on some of the rifles that he sells.

So, I guess that answers the question, as why he is not on the list.

Ok thanks for the info. Darn it. To bad Tip won't be at Dixon in a couple of weeks. I was looking forward to meeting him and looking at his rifles. Several folks that I shoot with at a black powder clud in Alabama NY have Tip rifles of varying ages and have allowed me to handle and shoot them too. Very nice rifles that are within my budget too.

The one thing that I've heard repeatedly about Tip rifles is that they're considered a "working man's" rifle in that they're really well built with high quality parts as well as workmanship, but they don't have all the added brass, engravings, glitter, and fancy this 'n that, which drives up the price.

Being that I don't have any custom rifles I try to learn something from everyone I talk to. A fellow at our club bought a Tip rifle in the white 5 years ago and stained and finished it himself, but as you said the rifle was pretty much finished already.

Now the challenge is finding a "Tip like" rifle at Dixon that has quality parts (wood, barrel, trigger, lock, etc), and workmanship, but is still within my budget. Plan on talking to every gunmaker there.

John,
While you are at Dixon's, talk to Jim Chambers.
In the past, he has been able to suggest builders you can contact to assemble one of his rifle kits for you. A friend of mine had that done. It was several years ago so I can't be sure that is still something Jim is doing. You may find somebody who will put one of Jim's kits together for you, to the same level of finish as Tip offers, or whatever level you want to pay for.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Never occurred to me to have a gunmaker assemble someone else's kit (like a Chamber's kit) as opposed to building a custom gun from scratch.

Very good idea :bow:

The missing post that was already up, is missing sort of due to my fault. I posted the wrong date for the event. I ask that my post be removed because, I didn't want someone to travel several hundred miles, on the wrong week-end. However the entire post got deleted.

Thank God, someone caught my mistake, otherwise, I would have driven over 300 miles on the wrong weekend. Somehow I googled last years dates.

Sorry guys, my bad.

I will be there on Friday. There will also be a lot of guys walking around selling there guns. When you go into Dixons don't forget to look at the ceiling they are for sale also.

I was just there Thursday. Greg Geiger had a few pairs of handmade shoes on consignment, and I snapped up the size 10. :grin: Greg Dixon was looking a bit harried from all his prep work, but still had time to talk with customers and answer questions graciously, even when they had nothing to do with his merchandise. It's a great place to go, even if you don't go on the fair weekend.

Yeh, I probably got a couple for sale, myself. I have an unfired Ruger Old Army, 7 1/2 blue pistol, for sale. In original box, with all the paper work, lock, etc.

Dave - I'll be poking around all day on Saturday. Will make a note to stop by and chat with you.

Really appreciated reading your comments in the Chambers Lock thread by the way. Read them many times as a matter of fact...always trying to learn.

Dave-I'll try and drop by and say Hi, and see what you got going on. I'd like to see the temps drop a couple degree.

Hope they have the Lemonaide ready.

:hmm: Just got back and was let down as to the quality of the vendors. Four years was the last time to Dixon's and there where more quality vendors. TVM and other's. The lower tent display was great with builders and supplies,but upper tent was more like a garage sale. There where some fine vendors but most where what I would see at a garage sale. Not what it was in the past and also did not see any display of gun fair builders that are general located in garage. Also $5 for parking
:cursing:

I thought it was just me, but I was left with the same feeling. I drove 350 miles to get there, I arrived at noon, by 3:30 I had seen enough. Except for a walking stick, the rest of the stuff that I bought would fit in my pocket. It looked like a garage sale. I was so discussed with the fair, that I drove back home. A 700 mile round trip. The old guys are gone, and no one to fill their shoes. That's my last trip. I ask about parts for lock's and triggers and was ask, "Have you checked with Track of the Wolf?" That's from three different vendors.

From now on my business will be done on line.

A perfect example of how the sport has dropped in popularity and through attrition as folks get older.

Back