• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Irish guns?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As a youth, many many years ago, my friend and fellow trouble maker and I made a 'tater gun. We used a hair spray can recovered from a garbage can for propellent. We lived next to a factory that threw away bunches of light bulbs. We discovered that with the proper charge our gun would launch a standard light bulb 60+ yards. We thought it was hilarious to land one close to an unsuspecting victim. We never got caught.

As a youth, many many years ago, my friend and fellow trouble maker and I made a 'tater gun. We used a hair spray can recovered from a garbage can for propellent. We lived next to a factory that threw away bunches of light bulbs. We discovered that with the proper charge our gun would launch a standard light bulb 60+ yards. We thought it was hilarious to land one close to an unsuspecting victim. We never got caught.
I'm not exactly sure but I think you and I may have had the same friends growing up.....

My 8th great grandfather came from Ireland to Queen Anne's Parish in Virginia in 1540. I'm wondering what guns would have looked like in his homeland. Anybody know of a information source on Irish guns prior to 1600? Thanks.
Assuming this may have been a typo, as the only place to come to on this side of the pond in 1540 would have been the Spanish Colonies of New Spain, Peru, or the Caribbean...
Earliest British settlements were Roanoke (1565,) which disappeared from the coast,) Jamestown (1607) and Plymouth (1619.)

Fair amount of documentation re: firearms carried by those colonists then.
Look up thr excavations of the Martin's Hundred site ten miles from Jamestown. Community pretty well wiped out in war with the Powhatans.in 1622. Lots of weaponry and armor recovered.

Yes, of course the date was a typo.View attachment 270414
John's info. I got the info about his coming to America elsewhere. The other source has the name of the man who brought him here as an indentured servant.
View attachment 270415

His father's info. I have tried for years to find someone that can tell me how the old name (O'Cobbthaigh) was pronounced. Any in Ireland on here?
A couple of generations after John came Reuben Coffey whom I have read was a gun maker.

In the Gaelic (Scots and Irish) tongue "O'Cobbthaigh" would be pronounced as "Oh Copptayyghagh" the 'tayy' drawn out while the 'hagh' is a short gutteral sound with no undue emphasis on the 'a'.
I hope it makes sense, far easier to hear it spoken than read.

Last edited:
My ancestors stowed away on the Mayflower. They were caught and made to row the last 100 nautical miles to America. After stealing and eating the first thanksgiving dinner, they were driven out into the wilds of Missouri, where I , the proud descendant of frontier hooliganism, reside…
How do you know.Were you there or do you have documetorty evidence?? We on this side have Parish records back to Norman times when we were tradesmen and crafsmen without the need to steal from others. Following your family's thefts from your own fellows you proceed to steal and kill native Americacn who were willing to cherish you until you stole from them as your people had done in your own land.. 1615 Freemans records show My family were responsible people with no need to escape JUSTICE. OLD DOG..

How do you know.Were you there or do you have documetorty evidence?? We on this side have Parish records back to Norman times when we were tradesmen and crafsmen without the need to steal from others. Following your family's thefts from your own fellows you proceed to steal and kill native Americacn who were willing to cherish you until you stole from them as your people had done in your own land.. 1615 Freemans records show My family were responsible people with no need to escape JUSTICE. OLD DOG..
Oh my😂

A relative perhaps Tom?
Edward V Coffey.JPG

A relative perhaps Tom?
View attachment 271238
Probably. His military service shown reminded me that I have a distant uncle, or cousin buried here locally thay was in the baloon corp in WW1. I never knew there was a baloon corp until I found his grave and tombstone.

Attachments

• 51851990_127272721759 EV Coffey grave.jpg
    51851990_127272721759 EV Coffey grave.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
My great uncle was in the Balloon Corp in WWI and that was a real dangerous job. Edward Coffey was KIA two days after I was wounded. Your photo must have been taken many years ago as I believe I am the only visitor in recent years.

Even if it's loaded with apples... ;-/
Dependent on where you live and if the responding Officer really cares. Anything that fires a projectile using expanding gases can be considered a Firearm. However your,e more likey to be arrested on the spot in a Blue State. Whereas the red state cop will probably show up later to have a beer with you.

It’s called SARCASM…… have a beer and relax! 🤣 actually, my great grandfather’s cousins were ran out of South Dakota for horse stealing around 1904…….

And yes , I was there! I stole Grover Cleaveland’s Time Machine and saw the whole thing!

My 8th great grandfather came from Ireland to Queen Anne's Parish in Virginia in 1540. I'm wondering what guns would have looked like in his homeland. Anybody know of a information source on Irish guns prior to 1600? Thanks.
Dear Tom. I expect Irish guns would be little different to the common European matchlock or early flint guns. But perhaps like the Scots there might be a regional style in 1540, a possibility but pretty hard to say ,1540 Ireland might be mostly bows .Queen Annes Parish seems a bit early to be settling anywhere in the Americas could there be some confusion of dates ? .
Rudyard's thoughts
I apologize with all my heart but you will find that instead of editing my original post I admitted that my first post was a typo. What more can I do to make it right?
I don't know, and didn't say that he owned a gun, just wondered what he could have owned in 1640. Please excuse me.
I see now , well we all make typoes Queen Anne is early17 hundreds so even 1640 might be a bit out . Rudyard

Be cautious when you start bumping heads with pros the likes of Rudyard, TobJohn, flint62Smoothie , Pukka Bundook, rickystl, Sam squanch, BillinOregon, and I apologize to several others after having bumped around on this forum for 10+/- years while trying to feed the family! Lots of top quality knowledge here. Happy Thanksgiving!

I wish that I could edit my original post and fix the typo of the date, but the forum doesn't offer taht option now.

Back