• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Irish guns?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I apologize with all my heart but you will find that instead of editing my original post I admitted that my first post was a typo. What more can I do to make it right?
I don't know, and didn't say that he owned a gun, just wondered what he could have owned in 1640. Please excuse me.

My ancestors stowed away on the Mayflower. They were caught and made to row the last 100 nautical miles to America. After stealing and eating the first thanksgiving dinner, they were driven out into the wilds of Missouri, where I , the proud descendant of frontier hooliganism, reside…

My ancestors stowed away on the Mayflower. They were caught and made to row the last 100 nautical miles to America. After stealing and eating the first thanksgiving dinner, they were driven out into the wilds of Missouri, where I , the proud descendant of frontier hooliganism, reside…
Sam...when your ancestors were excommunicated for absconding with the first thanksgiving dinner (they were most likely famished after 100 miles of rowing the Mayflower), did someone at least offer to drive them to Missouri in a comfortable 4 wheel drive a/c vehicle...I'm sure the highways were undergoing construction in many spots and complete with chug holes...or did they have to thumb all the way...also did they have enough shekels to stay in decent motels ? How does it feel to be a descendant of original Pilgrims? I'll bet you were a hero to your American history teachers!

Last edited:
My 8th great grandfather came from Ireland to Queen Anne's Parish in Virginia in 1540. I'm wondering what guns would have looked like in his homeland. Anybody know of a information source on Irish guns prior to 1600? Thanks.
As a fellow potato digger I suspect for most of them it would have been something like this:
1700551460766.png

As someone else has pointed out, the very early settlers would not have been Irish in the sense that most people mean. They were English sent to Ireland, many as soldiers, and who were rewarded for their service by being “given” the lands of the native Irish. I have never heard of a gun from that early date, later Dublin had several gunsmiths but not early.

Latest posts

Back