• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

broken screw head

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I removed the lock from the stock of my T/C Cherokee to clean it, first time since I acquired the gun, and stopped. The lock is different than pictures of the other locks I've seen pictures of. The problem I seen right off is there is a cover over the main components of the lock and one of the screw heads is broken. Do any members have a setup like this and does anyone know if this screw is just to keep the cover in place of is it holding the parts in place? It's the top middle screw in the picture.

Attachments

• lock # 2.JPG
    lock # 2.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 9
I removed the lock from the stock of my T/C Cherokee to clean it, first time since I acquired the gun, and stopped. The lock is different than pictures of the other locks I've seen pictures of. The problem I seen right off is there is a cover over the main components of the lock and one of the screw heads is broken. Do any members have a setup like this and does anyone know if this screw is just to keep the cover in place of is it holding the parts in place? It's the top middle screw in the picture.
Leave it alone until you get replacement screws. I’ve seen a number of TC screws that were not tempered correctly and are too hard and just crumble when you try to remove them. Had a Seneca recently where two of those screws (and the under rib screws) crumbled just like in your photograph.

Whenever practical, ie no spring nearby or finish to mess up, heating a screw or nut read hot will bust it loose. A tiny oxy acetelene tip will heat small screw heads in a few seconds. They come right out after that.

Yes, do replace it. Screws are screwed in where they are for a reason. You might be able to find a replacement at your local hardware store if they have "gun screws". Some hardware stores carry them, some don't. It's up to the local store. "Regular" screws won't work.

I've used a large punch, piece of brass, or a nail with the point filed flat as a heat sink. Heat it up hot and put the end on the screw. It won't get the screw red hot but it will heat it enough to loosen it especially if you apply some oil. This method will save any springs, or wood, that is nearby. It works real well on screws that have loctite on them.

Back