• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Dixie Japanese Brown Bess

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jdzara

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi,
I have a chance to buy a Japanese made Dixie Gun Works Brown Bess at a good price.
I've heard these were pretty good quality, and well made guns,
Any comments?
Jerry

I prefer the Japanese Bess to the Italian over the Italian. I know many say the Italian is better, but the craftsmanship just seems finer to me. the bulb on the stock is nicely pronounced, the barrel is rather thin, but probable not an issue. The lock is probably the biggest difference for me. the springs seemed chunky, and the pan was pretty shallow compared to the Italian, but you don't need that much powder anyway.
it it's in good condition, I'd say go for it, you woun't regret it.
I wish I could find a good Japanese Bess cheap.

I have owned one since 1976. Excellent gun. Mine was exceptionally accurate, and shoots #1 buckshot as good as a modern shotgun. Never had a problem with it. Lock sparks well, even with a dull flint.

I own one and use it constantly. It never misfires, even with a broken flint it still sparked. No problems with it at all. I did deepen the pan slightly, but other than that it is unaltered.

I have heard that parts are no longer available for the Japanese Dixie guns.

You may want to check that out. By the way the gang is talking, they seem like a fine gun.

CK out the trigger guard,,The one sent there to
be copied was dropped and dented the trigger guard
and that is the way they made it. It is different
than all the rest..

I've had a Japanese Bess that I bought as a kit since 1978. I think it works great, never had a problem.

Cheers, Bill

I agree, with the previous folks. I had a Jap Bess and it was very reliable and closer to actual heft and feel to the originals. I sold mine years ago, and have been looking for one ever since. The only drawback is that parts like mainsprings and and bearing parts are no longer being manufactured.

Jim Chocole
[email protected]

I am happy with my Jap-made Bess, except that the trigger pull is really hard; maybe 15 pounds. I'm going to take it to a ML gunsmith to reduce the pressure exerted by the sear spring.
The first time I fired her, offhand at 25, then 50 yards, the shots were all closer together than I'd hoped for. I said to myself "Sweet Louise", so that's what I named her.

My buddy has had one for 25 years and he loves it, although it goes a lot better now after a lock tune and trigger job. The only real problem he had was with the touchhole - it had some kind of obstruction (a chip of metal?) new from the factory and had to be opened out with a tiny reamer and eventualy lined

Back