• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Brown bess for trap?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IronHand

40 Cal
Reaction score
I want to get back into BP trap shooting this year. While I have several good shotguns, I lack a suitable flintlock. Looking at the available options I wondered about the Brown Bess. Has anyone done this? How did it work?

IronHand

Yes you can!
I did that a long time ago at the Baretta Shooting Range in Maryland. It was great! The clays sailed fast but I got about 8 out of 20- not bad for a newbie at the time.
For a slower, back yard clay launcher I bet it could do fine.
So, yes you can. A Bess will do the job. Not the best, but it’s FUN.

I think with some practice one could do pretty good with it. Maybe as mentioned already to use a manual trap clay target shooter at first to get some practice in before going to the trap range. With a flintlock one would have to plan the shot, lead, firing and follow up to account for the slower firing time all in an instant. Remember they were sport hunting birds going way back to using match locks too.

I have both a King's Musket (Brown Bess) and a 12 gauge fowling gun. I have shot clay targets with both. The Bess can work, but it is work to wrestle that 12 pound around after flying targets. I much prefer the fowling gun with it's near 7 pound weight and better balance to shoot trap.

Everyone who responded is right. The BB is what it is. I have used a flint fowler for trap and did OK. I have used a BB for quail and did OK. It will work but don't expect it to perform like a custom modern no-no shotgun.

I’ve tried shooting informal trap with my Bess without much success! Slow to get on target combined with slow lock time and long trigger pull makes for lots of misses!

I want to get back into BP trap shooting this year. While I have several good shotguns, I lack a suitable flintlock. Looking at the available options I wondered about the Brown Bess. Has anyone done this? How did it work?

IronHand
Been there, done that.
It can be done, but is pretty awkward . If I was going to do it more, and use a Bess, I would get the 30” barreled model.
There are much better guns out there for trap.

Doesn't matter the size or weight or speed of the action. Practice makes perfect. My old club members we're wided eyed and jaw dropped when they saw me shoot doubles over and over with a bolt action .410. It was the first gun i ever had, i learned how to use it.🍻

In my opinion using a military weapon of the time is not meant for hunting fowl. Would it work yes of course but it would be a lot of work resulting in a lot of misses. In my humble opinion a nice Fowler would be so much lighter on the swing and if made properly the lock will be tuned far better than a military arm of the day. The Fowler was made exactly for that, hunting fowl. They also doubled as a defensive and offensive arm of the time. A very versatile one at that. All of this being said if you show up and diligently practice you would no doubt do very well and probably turn some heads if they know what you are firing.

If you are a double A trap shooter you MIGHT break 10 out of 25 at the 16 yard line with a Brown Bess IF you are lucky:dunno::ghostly::horseback::ThankYou:

Anyone tried it with a Brown Bess Carbine? I want to try trap shooting with mine. Not too worried about scoring worse than I do with a modern shotgun.
Depends what you mean by carbine

I think a 62 or 66 caliber carbine is great but 75 caliber modern carbine with almost no choke to it, i can’t see it being a good trap shoot gun.

Back