• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Brown Bess Options?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I’ve never met one in person that was of sufficient quality to justify me parting ways with my hard earned money. I learned all too well from my financially irresponsible father.
Never owning one you're just talking from hear/say with no personal experience. That's called a rumor. Rumors aren't worth squat. I, personally, own a couple and have vented, tuned and proofed many. I've run into a few made in someone's garage in India with a water pipe for a barrel. However, India guns made by established manufacturers, are decent guns and work as designed. Semper Fi.
Here's a pic of my 1717 French Military Musket from Military Heritage. I've fine-tuned it so the trigger pull is decent. .69 cal. I get 6" group at 100 yards. .680 ball, .010 oiled patch with .75gr 2F Goex. I have lots of Goex.

DSCN0681.JPG

If you do decide to sell it, give me a shout. I'll cherish it and be a good father to it. The barrel probably needs to be pulled to be sure who made it. They're usually marked under the barrel near the breach. In doing so, you risk chipping the stock at the pin holes. Not really worth taking the chance. Semper Fi.

To everyone saying buy the best I wonder what kind of car your driving? Did you buy the "best"? If you did buy the best then I assume you won't be buying another as you already have the best. In life one balances needs and costs. A Bentley and Kia both get you to the same destination just as a cheap and expensive gun both put lead downrange.

To everyone saying buy the best I wonder what kind of car your driving? Did you buy the "best"? If you did buy the best then I assume you won't be buying another as you already have the best. In life one balances needs and costs. A Bentley and Kia both get you to the same destination just as a cheap and expensive gun both put lead downrange.
I don't drive. I was blown up in Afghanistan so now I get seizures. However, this is what I drove in A'stan. Semper Fi.

Qalat (2).png

Never owning one you're just talking from hear/say with no personal experience. That's called a rumor. Rumors aren't worth squat. I, personally, own a couple and have vented, tuned and proofed many. I've run into a few made in someone's garage in India with a water pipe for a barrel. However, India guns made by established manufacturers, are decent guns and work as designed. Semper Fi.
Here's a pic of my 1717 French Military Musket from Military Heritage. I've fine-tuned it so the trigger pull is decent. .69 cal. I get 6" group at 100 yards. .680 ball, .010 oiled patch with .75gr 2F Goex. I have lots of Goex.

View attachment 280649
So if quality is so atrocious as to make me pass upon handling these dismal offerings at the occasional show, and not foolish enough to hand over my cash for junk then all I say is rumor? And BTW, that thing looks nothing like a French M1717, well maybe it would at 100 yds.

Why, yes I do buy the best I can afford that fits my needs when ever I need to purchase a new vehicle. I then maintain it and utilize it until it isn’t safe or reliable to use anymore. That is called proper decision making. I guess you go car shopping and buy the worst on the lot? I kind of wonder about anyone that would find the advice of ‘buying the best you can afford’ to be offensive or worthy of derision.

Yes, they are pretty craptacular. Cheap is still cheap regardless of how it hurts your feelings. When Veteran Arms uses a picture as a representation it’s probably as good as it’s going to get, and damn those things are horrendous. They are little more than movie prop level garbage.

Have you ever owned an India Musket?
I doubt he has - you can tell when he downgraded the topic by calling people stupid that they threw rational discourse out the door.

The MO question was where to get a brown bess, he mentioned getting a rifle shoppe 3rd model kit, or a pedersoli… there’s even someone here offering a trade for a Navy Arms Pedersoli Welsh Fusilers bess.

The Indian made option came up but there are clearly much better choices.

There always the need for folks to chime in here and throw in the Indian made guns as an option, becuase they have purchased them and need to justify their poor investment choices on others.

Fact of the matter, a third model bess rifle shoppe kit with an assembled lock, and a used pedersoli are two dame good choices i would not even bring the Indian made repro’s into this equation.

NM
Explain to me what makes it a poor choice. While not the quality of a custom piece assembled from rifle shop parts or similar the fit is very good, locks function like a dream, they shoot as well as any smoothie.
A quick check on track of the wolf or Pecotonic will find you all the parts for a NWG, fine parts
But on maple stocks
NWG were not built on maple
Is that superior to a NWG from Loyalist on rosewood?
If I get a TFC from loyalist and compare it to my Centermark which one os poor quality
What can the Centermark do the Indian gun can’t
Is a less accurate maple stock a greater sin agains authenticity then teak?
Will deer think it was unfair to be shot from an Indian gun.
Are sparks from an Indian frizzen inferior compared to American made?
You say we need to justify poor investment, isn’t it your elitism your trying to justify?

Last edited:
I’ve seen India made guns that were obviously junk, I’ve seen India made guns that were very well made, the only off thing about them was the stock wood used. In the end it’s YOUR money and YOUR decision. As someone posted above, I’d go and actually see the gun in person before I bought it.

Explain to me what makes it a poor choice. While not the quality of a custom piece assembled from rifle shop parts or similar the fit is very good, locks function like a dream, they shoot as well as any smoothie.
A quick check on track of the wolf or Pecotonic will find you all the parts for a NWG, fine parts
But on maple stocks
NWG were not built on maple
Is that superior to a NWG from Loyalist on rosewood?
If I get a TFC from loyalist and compare it to my Centermark which one os poor quality
What can the Centermark do the Indian gun can’t
Is a less accurate maple stock a greater sin agains authenticity then teak?
Will deer think it was unfair to be shot from an Indian gun.
Are sparks from an Indian frizzen sinf compared to American made?

Maybe you should post seperate questions to the forum about teakwood from India, the quality of american parts vs. Indian parts etc.

I’m not digressing anymore from the general question on this thread, and that was a good choice for a brown bess.

Sorry mate but this issue is burned out on the forum, by all mean enjoy your Indian arms and be well.

So if quality is so atrocious as to make me pass upon handling these dismal offerings at the occasional show, and not foolish enough to hand over my cash for junk then all I say is rumor? And BTW, that thing looks nothing like a French M1717, well maybe it would at 100 yds.
I'm done. Ya' can't reason with a turnup. Semper Fi.

You can’t argue with elitism.
You can’t but what we have you can’t play, we are better your guns a joke.
Reminds me of the teacher telling a kid if he doesn’t go to college like she did he will end up working on a garbage truck, while failing to mention the garbage man makes twice as much.

You can’t argue with elitism.
You can’t but what we have you can’t play, we are better your guns a joke.
Reminds me of the teacher telling a kid if he doesn’t go to college like she did he will end up working on a garbage truck, while failing to mention the garbage man makes twice as much.

Elitism … ? Oh boy talk about conjecture, you and a few others consistently open up thread questions about brown Bess’s to Indian gun debates, you got what you asked for and now you’re asking for more, yet you generally always feel the need to defend Indian guns by raising the argument and debate.

Maybe you should post seperate questions to the forum about teakwood from India, the quality of american parts vs. Indian parts etc.

I’m not digressing anymore from the general question on this thread, and that was a good choice for a brown bess.

Sorry mate but this issue is burned out on the forum, by all mean enjoy your Indian arms and be well.
Well I have an Indian gun. I have Davis L and R and Chambers locks. I can’t see where my Indian one isn’t as good.
I have green Mountian and Rice barrels. They don’t shoot straighter, they hold the same charge as my Indian. I can’t see anything that’s finished off any better
Wood metal fit is as good as I have ever done

I’d love a Brown Bess as a shooter, so that means most likely a reproduction.

I see Pedersoli is selling there’s for $1700:

https://muzzle-loaders.com/products...5-cal-flintlock-s-260#shopify-product-reviews
Is it worth that price? Any issues with these? Other than that, there’s the Indian made ones and I know that’s a whole different kettle of fish. Curious is any custom builders can make one for me?

If a guy wanted a Brown Bess to shoot what would you do? Thanks!
I know a young fella in Alabama who wants to sell his.

I doubt he has - you can tell when he downgraded the topic by calling people stupid that they threw rational discourse out the door.
The topic was downgraded the second the first person suggested buying the worst over the best without any caveats. But feel free to side step in what ever manner you desire. And the fact still remains that dumb people do tend to waste money on junk.

In other words you can’t conjure up a reason why I should purposely buy shoddy when I have other choices. And just exactly why do you keep saying Semper Fi when your picture clearly shows an Army/Air Force uniform?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back