• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

D. R. "Doc" Hopkins .45 caliber Flintlock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Baldknobber

32 Cal
Reaction score
Howdy,
I am new to the forum but not new to the muzzleloading world. I prefer percussion rifles over flintlock mainly for being a left handed shooter. Seems easier to find a LH percussion over
anything in a flintlock, and prices seem more reasonable. I have come across a rifle I know little about and seeking information. It appears to be a Doc Hopkins Longrifle in .45 caliber, Flintlock ignition, and 41 1/2"
octagon barrel. Rifle is extremely well made and flaunts a beautiful carved curly maple stock. Upon reading some of the older post on this forum, He had a shop in Pigeon Forge at one time. I also have seen a letterhead note showing a Seminole, Florida address. Another post claims he past away in June of 2020. Sorry to hear of that, a true Craftsman we lost. Any additional information would be greatly appreciated.
IMG_3808.jpg
IMG_3814.jpg
IMG_3813.jpg
IMG_3812.jpg
IMG_3811.jpg
IMG_3810.jpg
IMG_3809.jpg

What an excellent looking piece of work! I'd love to have a rifle like that!

WOW. That is a sweet rifle!

I look for LH flintlocks all the time, never find anything. Looks like you struck gold, even if it's a righty.

It appears to be from the 70s 80s. It has some issues, but if you can get it for a reasonable price, it looks like a deal. The lock looks like an old Dixie Ashmore lock. They were decent until the case hardening wore through.

Back