• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

NGD Pedersoli Frontier .45 cal flintlock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
New Gun Day

Arrived just a little while ago via UPS: Pedesoli Fontier .45 cal flintlock walnut stock 39 in. browned barrel from MidwayUSA:
IMG_3555.JPG

Packaging not quite up to Kibler standards, but good enough, I guess, everything seems OK, except one small exception I don't know...is this normal for this rifle?
IMG_3556.JPG

I guess I can take care of that if not; just need to know if I should just leave it alone. Thanks.

New Gun Day

Arrived just a little while ago via UPS: Pedesoli Fontier .45 cal flintlock walnut stock 39 in. browned barrel from MidwayUSA:
View attachment 242373

Packaging not quite up to Kibler standards, but good enough, I guess, everything seems OK, except one small exception I don't know...is this normal for this rifle?

I guess I can take care of that if not; just need to know if I should just leave it alone. Thanks.
It isn’t obvious to me what ‘small exception’ you are asking about.

Question about the barrel, is it a true rust browned? Or does it have the DuroCoat or Cerakote finish to mimic a traditional rust brown? Curious if Pedersoli has gone back to a rust browning process.

Question about the barrel, is it a true rust browned? Or does it have the DuroCoat or Cerakote finish to mimic a traditional rust brown? Curious if Pedersoli has gone back to a rust browning process.
It looks browned, it feels browned, it takes oil like an iron oxide finish, but no, I don't really know, so can't answer. The first time I take the barrel off I can test on the bottom flat.

It looks browned, it feels browned, it takes oil like an iron oxide finish, but no, I don't really know, so can't answer. The first time I take the barrel off I can test on the bottom flat.
Don’t remove the barrel… ever. As long as you don’t slosh water all down between the barrel or stock it just not needed.

That pedersoli frontier has a different kinda shape to it, I had one and redone it to my liking, I added a nose cap, a couple of inlays and blued the barrel, rather than leave it brown. I also reshaped the whole forearm, removing that changed that you showed in the picture, I also changed the rear site. Just me, but I like to modify things if I can.

That pedersoli frontier has a different kinda shape to it, I had one and redone it to my liking, I added a nose cap, a couple of inlays and blued the barrel, rather than leave it brown. I also reshaped the whole forearm, removing that changed that you showed in the picture, I also changed the rear site. Just me, but I like to modify things if I can.
The "deluxe" version has a brass nose cap, third inlet pipe, brass side plate and brass patch box. It's almost twice the price. Good you remade yours to your own liking.

Mine seems to spark real good, it's been proof shot (they didn't bother to clean it after), but I haven't shot it yet. Waiting for some balls ordered from Brownell's.

Get a new hickory ramrod, don't know what it's made of but the first thing I like to get is a pinned hickory rod for Pedersolis.
The ramrod that comes with a Pedersoli leaves something to be desired. I have a couple very nice ramrod blanks that I got from Kibler.

I have that exact rifle, and several other Pedersoli Frontiers in flint and percussion. I immediately replace the factory sights with something better and a little more authentic. Easy peasy as they are dovetailed. Factory ramrod goes straight into the trash, replaced by hickory. I also strip off that "plastic" factory finish, and replace it boiled linseed oil. On my flints, I slightly enlarge the fashion hole (1/16") and have found that gives more positive ignition. One post said not to remove the barrel, and I agree for a lot of rifles that is a good idea. However, these Pedersoli's have a barrel that is not pinned, but held in by screws, thus they are easily removed from the stock. Not authentic, but handy for cleaning, etc. I really like these rifles, and the mods I do are minimal and not very expensive. Are they are good as a custom job? No, but I really have no complaints, and they allowed me to get into the flintlock game when I could not afford a custom rifle. I paid $249-$329 for mine brand new, so that has been a while ago.

Could you post what sights you got to replace them? Thanks.
It has been a long time ago, but I think I bought my replacements sights at an outfit called the Rifle Shoppe. The are low profile, rear sights kind of chunky, and thin, low silver blade with a brass base for front sights. Only paid a few dollars a piece for them 20+ years ago, wouldn't care to speculate how much they are now. There are several online retailers that sell similar products, a quick Google (hate them and that word) will provide some places to start looking. Be aware, MY Pedersolis did not have a standard 3/8" dovetail, it was some metric dimension, and I had to file to fit. Maybe they make them different nowadays. Or not. I wouldn't waste any time, powder, lead, nor patches using the factory sights, as they are so unsatisfactory.

One post said not to remove the barrel, and I agree for a lot of rifles that is a good idea. However, these Pedersoli's have a barrel that is not pinned, but held in by screws, thus they are easily removed from the stock. Not authentic, but handy for cleaning, etc.
I had forgot about those barrels being screwed in rather than pinned. Good point! Also, track of the wolf or the log cabin shop in Lodi Ohio has lots of different sights to choose from. Those two places are normally where I get my hardware, or I make them either or. I also agree with stripping the stock and refinishing. One can make a really nice looking rifle with that Frontier rifle.

I always thought they were nice lookin'. May get one myself; maybe a .54 perc.

If you don't mind, when you get the chance, would you mind letting us know how much the .45 weighs?

Thanks. yellowhammer out.

Latest posts

Back