• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

CVA Mountain Rifle Questions....

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pa woods roamer

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Just picked one up in really nice shape. A couple of questions.Took the Lock off, percussion, and noticed there is a small screw with a spring located between the Bridle and Lock Plate.Has to be there for some kind of adjustment? Anybody know? Also, the Trigger guard and Buttplate are not German silver. It looks like some kind of Black coating of some kind? Just wondering if this isn`t a Mt. Rifle or another CVA product? The Barrel is marked " Made in the U.S.A. " and the lock is stamped Spain. Any info would be appreciated. thanks in advance....

I happen to have mine out playing with it. I'm thinkin I'll shoot the MR this season just for a change of pace, gonna wring out the bugs tomorrow.

Anyways, the screw with spring,, is in the tumbler and is an adjustment for the trigger sear engagement of the tumbler notch.
The further IN the screw is the less the sear engages aka; making it a "hair" trigger. You can actually turn that screw too far and the hammer won't stay cocked.
That screw is also notorious for NOT staying in place, it's something that needs constant attention.
It's not really a problem with the screw and spring, it's there is a gremlin who's sole purpose is to mess with that screw on every CVA and Traditions gun that has one! (he's busy!)

Between that screw and the double set triggers you can get an un-believably wonderfull balance in that lock/trigger combo.

Like all CVA, the lock and triggers will benefit from a full dis-assembly and polishing of the individual parts.

Not sure what ta tell ya about the black guard and butt plate?? Maybe someone has chemically treated'm to change'm too black? I'd remove them and scratch the back/inside or someplace unseen to see what they are. If they are indeed nickle, maybe you can polish the pieces back to a shine?

Yeah, I know about that Gremlin guy. He`s messed with me more than once. Looking again at the Trigger Guard/ Butt plate looks kinda like they have been plastic dipped?? The Nose cap is still Pewter. My Brother had one way back in the 70`s and it was a shooter. Hope this one is??? Thanks.

The buttplate is stamped steel most likely rust blued. The triggerguard is cast :idunno: . The only parts that are German silver is some of the patchboxes and the barrel wedge plates. The nosecap is pewter! You can polish the buttplate and triggerguard and it looks good w/german silver! You have a good rifle in my opinion the best of the CVA Models!

necchi has you covered on the lock. I'll just add... with the appropriate non-permanent Loctite you'll set the screw once and forget about it.

FWIW, CVA called the nose cap "pewter-like", not pewter.

My early 45 MR is easily the best of the CVA rifles I've owned and will out shoot any of the TC's I've owned.

Good idea on using Locktite. I can`t get the Trigger pull as light as I`d like. But, the Gun really fits me nice and I`m pleased as punch. Thanks forn the replies.

Walks Alone said:
necchi has you covered on the lock.

Ya, an ole necchi should heed his own advice, :hmm:

I've had mine cleaned an oiled in the locker for two years. Pulled the barrel off and cleaned the bore with a few patches of brake cleaner and a few dry. Pulled the lock and it looked good, so I just put a drop of oil on the tumbler and worked it a few times. Set triggers seemed OK an set well so off to the range I go.

Got about 15 rounds down range an got a hang fire, :confused: what duh heck? Must be the nipp, so I changed that out. Another couple of hang fires!!
Then when the hammer dropped the darn thing just went "klatch"! :shocked2: Oh Man!?

Long story short, that old oil was still stuck down in the drum an that dry gummy oil was slowing the lock down.
Took everything all apart (triggers too) sprayed the old oil off till clean an dry, went after the drum like I should have and put everything back together with freash lube.
Second trip to the range and all is well.
Shoulda knowed that old dry oil was gonna git me! :redface:
Gotta go back again though. I've got new patch fabric and need just a little more sight adjustment for zero, but the ole MR is still printing 5 shot clover leaf groups at 50, they sure had a winner with the Mountain Rifle. :wink:

You have ( In my opinion, as well as several others ) the best traditional rifle CVA ever assembled. While there is debate on who made the barrels (the prototype definately had a Douglas ). They are far superior to other cva barrels. Also the one that I worked on had the best quality spainish lock I have ever worked on. (And I have worked on about fifty or more ). Enjoy your rifle it is a nice gun. :hmm:

That rifle was my first muzzle loader & I still
have it 30 years later.Great rifle.Good info
but instead of locktite I would use super glue.

The only reason I say that is this.Even the blue
locktite can cause problems getting out small
screws.

Super glue will hold a small screw but will pop
loose if you need to remove it.Locktite will
make it hard coming out the whole way.

Fly

A touch of teflon tape around that lil screw does wonders. Did mine 5 years ago and havent touched it since.

Back