• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Searching info on CVA Bobcat

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sooty Scot

40 Cal
Reaction score
Can anyone decode the SN of this CVA Bobcat? SN is 61-13-019285-98. I'd like to learn when it was made.
I know noting about these nylon/plastic stocked cap guns. Mostly, I shoot flint.

All the info is stamped on the upper side flat opposite the lock. It has the CVA info, "made in Spain", proof marks, and the warnings about using black powder only and to read the manual before using.

A friend just handed it to me to sell for him. He'd forgotten he had it and could tell me nothing about it. Frankly, I think he was embarrassed when he found it.

I've heard good things about some of the Spanish gun makers but there's a patch of cutter chatter marks in one of the rifling groove, a few inches from the muzzle. Aside from that, it's clean; the fits are tight; the finish is good and it seems unfired.

I'll post pictures as soon as I get my camera to talk to this computer.

Thanks for anything you can offer.

I'll try to clean up the cutter chatter marks and test fire a sample group for it before I post it here or put it out on a blanket. Just starting my research and appreciate any information offered.

My father bought one in the mid 1990’s at Walmart for around $60. He didn’t shoot it a whole lot, but it did work fine. I’ve seen them priced around $200 recently.

I have two that I bought for grandsons. Bought one new in the mid -90’s from Walmart. I paid $59.95. The other I bought at gun show for $35. Both have the nylon stock. I did see one once with a wood stock. CVA made a series of cheaper models mostly with wood stocks that almost all look like a Bobcat. They are accurate but IMO are a good basic entry level weapon. Good luck and have fun shooting it.

CVA first started in 1972, They switched their supplier from Jukar to Ardesa in the 1979 ti 1981 period. The Bobcat was a basic entry level muzzle loaders, but had great utility. CVA had a few variations built on the Bobcat platform. One was a 36 caliber ,model that is very rare. I have a nearly Identical Traditions rifle with nylon stock and I believe the barrel and lock are stainless steel.

Yes. Made by Ardesa (61) it is a BP Muzzleloader (13) the serial # is 019285 and it was made in 1998 (98)
Thanks. That confirms my interpretation of the SN code. Ardesa is new info, confirmed by other posts. Another thread to follow.
Thanks to all for the information.
I didn't know about the stainless barrel/lock option. These are darkly blued steel. .50 caliber.
The lock has a flat, folded mainspring- not a coil spring. The fit of the tumbler notches is clean and tight.
The trigger break is crisp but could probably be smoothed a bit.
Aside from the raw rifling, it looks as if it should shoot well - once I lap it a bit.

Back