• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Crazy Question Time

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a friend with a gascheck making punch and die. After looking at it I was thinking it wouldn't be that hard to make a primer cup punch and die. This would allow you to make Berdan primers using priming compound. Do you think if I turned a nipple that a small Berdan primer fit, it would work for ignition? I believe the nipple would act like an anvil. Thanks.

I have a friend with a gascheck making punch and die. After looking at it I was thinking it wouldn't be that hard to make a primer cup punch and die. This would allow you to make Berdan primers using priming compound. Do you think if I turned a nipple that a small Berdan primer fit, it would work for ignition? I believe the nipple would act like an anvil. Thanks.
I don't know what Berdan primers have to do with muzzleloading.

A Berdan primer is an old European priming system for center fire firearms.

Instead of one flash hole drilled into the case head, like U.S. cases, the Berdan priming system had two flash holes drilled into the case head.

This is why it's damn near impossible to reload a Berdan case.

I think he might be referring to the primers that are without an anvil. The anvil was incorporated into the case. I'm not sure of the correct nomenclature.
That is correct and correct terminology. The Berdan primer has a paper disc in it that would be problematic on a nipple. I don't think the OP plans on copying the exact primer though. Biggest problem would be keeping the thing on the nipple.
Didn't a company used to sell something like that? Kind of remember a primer/cap system that used a soft rubber sleeve to hold the thing on a modified nipple.

To me a Berdan primer is just a percussion cap with a short thick cup. I was planning to use cans for stock. I thought about making caps, but I thought aluminum can material would be too thick. I guess the thickness doesn't matter as long as it works.

As far as loading Berdan cases goes, it actually isn't hard to do, if you can find the primers. It's just messy using water to knock them out.. Thanks for your input.

To me a Berdan primer is just a percussion cap with a short thick cup. I was planning to use cans for stock. I thought about making caps, but I thought aluminum can material would be too thick. I guess the thickness doesn't matter as long as it works.

As far as loading Berdan cases goes, it actually isn't hard to do, if you can find the primers. It's just messy using water to knock them out.. Thanks for your input.
If you do make one some of us would be interested in seeing the results. I have one of the make your own kits that uses soda cans or similar sheet metals. It works but can be an art to getting it to make consistently even caps.

Off the subject but 22reloader sells a system to convert berdan cases to boxer primed.
TC percussion Firestorm uses 209 primers for ignition . Have one, it works, don’t like the plastic stocks.

Back