• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

coon fat for tallow?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cooncrazy

32 Cal
Reaction score
wondering if coon fat could make good tallow? got another one today and was looking at the fat I scrapped off on the fleshing board. might have to break out the roaster and try it!

wondering if coon fat could make good tallow? got another one today and was looking at the fat I scrapped off on the fleshing board. might have to break out the roaster and try it!
I know someone who uses/has used raccoon grease.

I don't think so. When you say "tallow" it means beef or mutton fat rendered to . . . tallow. If you start with raccoon you will get rendered raccoon fat. But by definition not tallow. Just as rendered pig fat is lard. You can't get tallow from a pig. Just as you can't get lard from a sheep.

Nope. It's all different stuff.
Grease, tallow, lard and oils,, all from different critters.
Some works, some don't.
Short story about coon,, don't work. Think about it,, if coon grease was good, there would still be;
"Olde Ticks" Muzzle Loading Patch Lube,, the best coon tallow you can find today on the market. We've been in business for 200 years because coon tallow is the best you can get for all ML uses,,,
Guess what? The oldest story is spit,, and they're still selling fake spit today
;)

It seems to me that coon fat would render down into something very much like bear oil. No it won't make tallow but it would be usable as a lubricant...........watch yer top knot...........

I've played with a fair number of animal fats/tallows/oils from brown bear right up to seal oil. Bottom line all that I've tried work just fine as lubes. The biggest difference comes in what form they take after you prepare them and how you have to handle them in the field. Jugs of oil leak, greases get soft or hard as the temp goes up and down, some of them go rancid fast. And more. Don't recall a thing about racoon, though we ate a lot when I was a kid. My recollection comes mostly from what was in the bottom of the pan after roasting. I just remember that it was darned good for dipping biscuits.

First post here after lurking and learning a lot for a while. I found jars of beef and bison tallow at a grocery store the other day and I'm curious as to what the difference is, other than the $1.00 difference between the two. Thanks for any info!

Dave C (aka dixie5032 which stands for two DGW Tennessee Mountain rifles in .50 and .32 cal)

. I found jars of beef and bison tallow at a grocery store the other day and I'm curious as to what the difference is, other than the $1.00 difference between the two. )

Taste Maybe ? From dietary or minor genetic differences, I don't know. I would think it to be quite similar since beef and buffalo are in the same family. They can even be inter bred, then you would have Beefalo tallow.
A cow is basically a domesticated bison with a lot of selective breeding.

Last edited:
When I was very young we killed hogs and rendered lard. Big black kettel and hickory fire under it . I've tried many different lubes since the late 60's and lately have settled on lamb and deer tallow. Now I don't know how the lamb was done but the deer I do know. I got some water boiling (212 degrees or so. different at different sea levels) and put the deer fat in in small pcs. after a while I dipped the left over pcs out and let cool. I skimmed the top and let that dry. I was very firm but not rock hard. This seems to work rather good for patch lube. or has so far. I don't know how coon fat would do if it was rendered like this. I know I was glad to have watched the gentleman on youtube to see this method. Again thanks Keith.

Different family. But the Dutch name for "raccoon" is "wash bear" (wasbeer).

In this area we call them "Trash Pandas"
When I was younger we called them good eating. I always liked them par boiled and then fried . take the juice from boiling and make gravy with home made biscuits. I miss those days.

I am nor sure about coon. I've made patch lube from rendered beaver fat and beeswax. It went rancid within about 8 months. The last batch I made was with beeswax, grape seed oil and a little Murphy's Oil soap. The Murphy's Oil Soap froths up the mixture nicely. We need patch lube to me a little thin for hunting below freezing in the winter.

I am nor sure about coon. I've made patch lube from rendered beaver fat and beeswax. It went rancid within about 8 months. The last batch I made was with beeswax, grape seed oil and a little Murphy's Oil soap. The Murphy's Oil Soap froths up the mixture nicely. We need patch lube to me a little thin for hunting below freezing in the winter.
My tallow is kept in the freeze. I have small tin about the size of shoe polish can that I refill. Now like I said years ago when I was young we kept a stand of lard in the ketchen. It was use for baking and frying everything. To my knowledge it was used up before it went bad. I do know the biscuits were very good. The deer tallow I made worked good this year even though the temp. got below freezing. I used a short starter but after it was in the barrel it went down ok.

Latest posts

Back