• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Early antler drop/no fat

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've read in a couple other posts that bucks have been taken in December 22' and had already dropped their antlers. I too had gotten one on Dec 12th that had dropped. Does anyone know why they seem to be dropping earlier than most years? In addition, neither of the 2 bucks i got or the 2 does my buddy got had any fat on them this dec. Last year I was slicing off back fat and making more tallow than I knew what to do with. Any thoughts?

We didn't have an acorn crop this year, A friend gave me a deer Nov that didn't have any back fat on it, I killed one a few weeks ago that was the same, intestinal fat but no back fat. We had "0" degree temps this year for the first time in 40 years, this burned back the vegetation and pastures to the point that browsing limb tips is about the deer's only option. So far, they haven't zeroed in on the bushes in my flower beds, yet.........

I've read in a couple other posts that bucks have been taken in December 22' and had already dropped their antlers. I too had gotten one on Dec 12th that had dropped. Does anyone know why they seem to be dropping earlier than most years? In addition, neither of the 2 bucks i got or the 2 does my buddy got had any fat on them this dec. Last year I was slicing off back fat and making more tallow than I knew what to do with. Any thoughts?
Significant percentage of bucks here in PA had early antler drop. Might be due to low nutrition, because of no acorns this year. No acorns because of gypsy moth. All four deer i killed this season had no fat. None. Hearing the same from other PA hunters. However I’m hearing in Maryland, it’s different. I did not hunt Maryland this year, but what I’m told and seeing pictures of is totally different than here in PA.

This is southern Lancaster county PA. The deer I see seem fat and happy. But this is an area with lots of farms. Yes, crops are all taken off by now. But they had plenty to eat until not all that long ago. Havenot seen signs of early antler drop, but it's not like I was watching for it either.

Thirty yrs. ago when we mostly had pre-gypsy moth acorn crops , in Clearfield County ,Pa. , I saw a 10 point buck in March. He was not stressed , as he was living in a place on a steep hillside , where no one was likely to bother him. I used to spend 4 to 6 hrs. in my company car going to and from service calls. I drove right up to the buck feeding next to the road , and he moved off slowly. .............oldwood

We have urban deer here. Wisconsin. The bucks hit the bird feeders and we see them daily. They are losing their antlers since Jan 2, the fork horns first. I think this is way early. I'm used to them dropping in March.

Edit: Doing some research, it's supposedly attributed to length of days or poor health, lowering testosterone levels.

Last edited:
20221220_152918.jpg

This the half rack thing your talking about --> not a hunter

Today , my hunting friend and I , will be in two ladder stands , to watch for the 8 pt. that comes by around 4 pm , on his camera.. Hope he comes by a little earlier , for good flintlock shooting light. Also , he still has his rack.

Back