• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

time machine

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dont buy into all the hype on those space telecopes. NASA admits to artistically photoshopping the pics and making up all the color schemes. And i love when they have a detailed show on some planet they see out there but when u see the actual image its a just a little gray square pixel.

Dont buy into all the hype on those space telecopes. NASA admits to artistically photoshopping the pics and making up all the color schemes. And i love when they have a detailed show on some planet they see out there but when u see the actual image its a just a little gray square pixel.
Exactly. Then these BS'ers, I mean scientists, tell everyone how the planet was formed, how old it is, its chemical makeup, whether there is life on it (there isn't) and then provide an artist's rendering of it. All that from a little dot. "Follow the science"! LOL.

More like "follow the science fiction".

Last edited:
Speaking of making up something, How did they know what color a dinosaur was?
They were various colors. In some cases it isn't known. In others, chromophores were preserved in the fossils. In the case of Microraptor, a melanosome pigment was preserved that indicates that it had a blue-black color.

Also, since birds are dinosaurs that didn't go extinct, you can look at them to get an example of the range of available colours.

And I am sure that you guys all realise that many of these telescopes are recording parts of the electromagnetic spectrum that are not visible to the human eye. In order to see those frequencies in a photograph, you have to shift the frequency to something that is visible. The frequency shifts chosen are not random. For example, oxygen is often shown as shades of green, and hydrogen as red. The photos are coded to provide useful information to those who know what they are looking at.

Last edited:
Makes you wonder how many of them "folks" from 200 years ago would take a trip into the future and enjoy our modern conveniences.
Every dam one of them. “I wish my life was harder” said no one ever. What we think were simpler times, weren’t.
You had to keep the wife pregnant pumping out 14, 16 kids cause most didnt live to maturity and those that did were needed for raising crops.

I'm pretty sure the majority would elect to go where things were easier. But would also venture to say there would be a few holdouts who enjoyed life and liked it just fine "back then".

I'm pretty sure the majority would elect to go where things were easier. But would also venture to say there would be a few holdouts who enjoyed life and liked it just fine "back then".
No doubt, recently read article in one of my muzzle mags about a modern guy, spent time up in NH, winter, deep snow, outdoors the whole time. Cold and wet to the bone. Wood so wet that couldn’t make a fire to cook or dry. Ate meat raw. He hated/loved it. I wouldn’t. Most wouldn’t. Different kind of guy.

Nostalgia is well and good, and it's fun to remember some of the good things, but I was born before Pearl Harbor, raised on a subsistence farm, and although we raised and gathered enough food so we always had something to eat, we were poor folks. I remember working hard every day. We raised hogs and chickens, grew vegetables, and gathered whatever fruit and nuts we could find. My mother canned fruit and veggies, plus we had bins of potatoes and onions, barrels of pickles and salt pork, a smokehouse with hams and bacon. Every room in the old farmhouse had kerosene lamps and lanterns for when the power went out. We did have indoor plumbing and water was piped into the house from two natural springs. I remember when my father and a neighbor dug the trench to pipe the second water from the second spring in. They did it by hand. Plowing was done every spring with a mule-drawn plowshare and then disked the same way. The fields between the house and the dirt road were mowed once a year by men with scythes,
earlier by my father and a neighbor and later by me too.
As a boy, I had my own scythe and sharpening stone, my own double-bit axe -- and my own work shoes. My favorite toy was my Daisy Red Ryder, and later the .22 I inherited from an uncle. My "fishing rod" was a sapling I cut myself until Dad got me a telescoping fly rod one year for my birthday.
We had electricity when it worked, lanterns when it didn't.
Our house was heated by a wood-and-coal burning furnace that had to be fed with a shovel and stoked by hand. We cut, split, and stacked several cords of wood every year for the winter months. The first phone I remember was a wooden box with separate mouth piece and ear piece, both Bakelite, and a crank on the side to get the operator's attention. We didn't have an automobile until I was ten so we walked to town when we needed to go and walked back. There was no television yet, but we had a big old wooden RCA Victor radio on a table in the living room and listened to broadcasts in the evening often.
It was a good, wholesome life but it wasn't easy. I'm very grateful to have had the experience but I wouldn't go back.
I nearly died with whooping cough one year but was saved by the new doctor in town who gave me penicilin.

I do not understand why you feel like you were poor?

Screenshot_20240410-065517~2.png

I don't necessarily mind being insulted if the people can take some insults back.

But I really don't like liars.

A member here showed me how to block or ignore,
just some advice , each one of the best things you can do with someone like this

I have to admit that they had it harder back then. Do you realize that most people born in the 1940's have passed on? And that even more from the 1920's are no longer alive? And don't even get me started on the 19th century pioneers. All dead now. Life was definitely tougher.

There were people who loved the solitude. Mountain men are a good example. Or the settler that said "I heard a neighbor's dog barking, its getting too crowded here abouts, it's time to move."

My mom and dad lived through the Great Depression. They never whined about how great the old days were. Not once.
Generations back weren't big whiners. Our generation maybe a little. But the next and then the next, sad to say "yup", they'd let you know in a heartbeat if something didn't go their way.

Latest posts

Back