• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cooking Oils as patch lubes

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For the past couple years I've been using veg oil. I use the cheapest stuff on the shelf.

I pour about 1/3 of the alcohol out of a 90% isopropyl bottle and replace it with veg oil. I squit it onto a strip of patch material and leave it till the alcohol evaporates. Shake before squirting.

I've used so many lubes over the years that I probably couldn't write the list. Every one worked fine when applied consistently and somewhat sparingly. So now I've gone with cheap and simple.

I salvaged a very dried, very clogged, moderately rusted, Jukar percussion muzzle loader pistol. The unclogging has taken a long time but has finally been successful. I even safe the nipple. I think I am going to use canola oil for the patch lube and barrel treatment. I am going to use it for the screws, the trigger mechanism. Anything is better than the parched condition the old pistol was found. There were assembly and care instructions dated 1971. That makes me think the pistol was made in the 1970s. It does not seem anything fancy. But, it is my first black powder, muzzle loading pistol. It beats leaving the old pistol to decay in an abandoned house.
Considering that almost everything with a little bit of slickness to it and no abrasives seems to work as patch lubricant and as @TreeMan observes that spit works very well. Spit works well at the range where the spit doesn't have time to dry out before firing and the moisture keeps fouling soft, you can use vegetable oil from the kitchen. Don't get caught using the expensive extra virgin olive oil from the reserved supply for the kitchen. I do recommend that you use a grease such as RIG for the screw threads and the rub areas of the trigger. For a quick treatment the kitchen oils will work, but the gun oils and greases will hold up better. Use the "never seize" lubricant for the nipple threads. You pistol may not be very fancy, but it does deserve appropriate gun oils and greases where they should be applied.

try tallow (mutton works great doesn't go rancid) lard without th
DSC03160.JPG
e salt

The good lord blessed us with a mouth full of patch lube. Spit is the most underrated lube on the market. Lube concoctions are numerous but most aren’t any better than good old spit. Most people refuse the follow the old KISS lube formula. Keep. It. Simple. Stupid. For hunting or loading/storing a loaded gun for a few days or weeks those oily, fatty lubes are necessary, but for targets and range time spit is king.
^
Bingo

Will I notice a difference using EVOO(extra virgin olive oil), regular olive oil, and canola oil as a patch lube or will I not notice too much of a difference?
I can not imagine it making much of a difference. If you are shooting off hand you are more of the problem than the lube

Will I notice a difference using EVOO(extra virgin olive oil), regular olive oil, and canola oil as a patch lube or will I not notice too much of a difference?
You will notice a difference in your pocket book. 🤣

For lube I use the cheapest veg oil possible. I won't use anything on the table but olive oil.

I use olive oil, virgin. works for me.
I am told, but have not tried....peanut oil and grape seed oil. I am told it has much greater Slippery power!

olive oil and mixes of it with murphys oil soap and sometimes a little bees wax works for me also.
fouling is not a problem, clean up a breeze.
Being an old cuss I’m happy with old jaded olive oil

When I read these posts I always learn something new. This post is another good example of members with different patch lube advice. I would have never thought of using some of the cooking oils but so far, I found that the recipe for moose milk with pillow ticking has given me the best groups yet.

For my hunting patches I’ve used olive oil and canola oil. I don’t see any difference. I use Simple Green soap for general range work. My guns show no difference in accuracy or point of impact with either oil or soap. BJH

The good lord blessed us with a mouth full of patch lube. Spit is the most underrated lube on the market. Lube concoctions are numerous but most aren’t any better than good old spit. Most people refuse the follow the old KISS lube formula. Keep. It. Simple. Stupid. For hunting or loading/storing a loaded gun for a few days or weeks those oily, fatty lubes are necessary, but for targets and range time spit is king.
I started shooting muzzleloaders in the mid 1960's , never heard of any lube other than spit. Then later on I started seeing Bore Butter in sporting goods stores, then I found this forum and now I see all kinds of concoctions. I still use spit for target shooting but deer tallow and bees wax for hunting.

I started shooting muzzleloaders in the mid 1960's , never heard of any lube other than spit. Then later on I started seeing Bore Butter in sporting goods stores, then I found this forum and now I see all kinds of concoctions. I still use spit for target shooting but deer tallow and bees wax for hunting.
Same with me. I tried the bore butter years ago, then Dutch’s dry lube patch method for a really long time and other concoctions. Nowadays I just use spit or windshield washer fluid in a squirt bottle (store bought spit). For hunting I stick with mink oil. I hit what I shoot at and normally win or have a close win at my monthly matches. Spit, no wiping and boom! Even when my spit patches dry in the bore I see no difference than when they are wet.

I have long used water soluble or emulsible oils and water for a number of years. I think that is closest to spit and it has some additional lubricating properties that spit doesn't have. I like using the oils and water better than soaking the patches to let dry and using the patches dry. I think that keeps the fouling softer and I can use a barely damp patch to remove fouling from the bore when I wipe between shots. At the range I can use a slightly damper patch and not wipe between shots. A better lubricant for woods walks where one has to load from the pouch of course, spit as the lubricant and fouling softener is hard to beat.

Back