• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cooking Oils as patch lubes

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sharp Shooter

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Will I notice a difference using EVOO(extra virgin olive oil), regular olive oil, and canola oil as a patch lube or will I not notice too much of a difference?

I use olive oil, virgin. works for me.
I am told, but have not tried....peanut oil and grape seed oil. I am told it has much greater Slippery power!

olive oil and mixes of it with murphys oil soap and sometimes a little bees wax works for me also.
fouling is not a problem, clean up a breeze.

hi-ho sharp shooter,

in the world of vegtable oils, olive oil has a very low ash threshold, penut oil has the highest.

thats why submarines use peanut oil for frying, it makes the least amount of smoke. :)

keep on trying diff things, it's half the fun.. :thumbsup:

..ttfn..grampa..

PS..as far as lubricity, they are pretty much all the same..

I still have not found a really good patch lube that I like. I like some that I have tried but I am going to try more before I decide what I want to use. I think next is the vegetable oils. What about melting down Crisco and pre-lubing?

What doese the Murphys Oil Soap and Beeswax do when you add it to vegie oil? How much do you add?

The topic of lube is one of interest to me.. Recently I read an article "The Dutch waterless method"

Here is my own take on shooting/preserving.
I use regular Canola oil on ticking patches, wiping between shots and at the end of the day simply flood the bore with more oil and dry patch until one comes out clean. Then I take saturated patches and get the bore good and wet; your done!
Store the rifle muzzle down in the safe and she'll fire right up at the range next time.
This method also prevents the flash rusting that comes from pumping with hot water.

I am one year into frontstuffers and still learning!
The above works/groups best for me, though I'm going to also try "Roundball"s method with Hoppes BP plus cleaner. :hmm:

Enjoy

Guys: Please heed Claude's advice. All those expensive oils give you nothing but a better taste. Unless you are eating your patches, don't waste your money on good olive oil, or canola, or any other cook oil. Oil is Oil.

Consider buying and following Dutch Schoultz's recommendations on oils and lubing patches.
[url] http://www.blackpowderrifleaccuracy.com/[/url]

It really is the best $15.00 you will every spend on this sport. His accuracy development system is the best and fastest way to work up an accurate load for any gun, and his recommendations for patch lubes is outstanding, because IT WORKS! Dutch spent years working on one formula or another to find out what works best. Why should you be doing the same work over again? I understand that information like Dutch's system is not readily available to new shooters, but now that you are a member of this forum, all you need to do is ask. Dutch's system is mentioned here every couple of months. Stumpy's moose milk, and moose snot is mentioned here often as well, and its also a good lube for patches, if made correctly, and applied correctly.

There are some good lubes being sold commercially, including Hoppes Black solve and patch lube, and Wonderlube. Each has its merits, and limitations. Dutch's " dry lube " seems to work in the widest range of temperatures and relative humidities.

There you have it. :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
Sharpshooter, when I used crisco years ago, I would prelube by heating up the crisco and dipping the patch in, then blotting off with a paper towel. I switched to using a microwave and just smeared crisco on the patches and heated between two paper towels.
I now use a bear oil/beeswax mix since I can make it a little thicker and it's not as messy as crisco. Bill

I guess it depends on your desired outcome.

With all the debates over a perfect patch lube, makes one wonder how for hundred of years, they ever got by with just, tallow, bear oil, hog lard and spit.

I used vegetable shortening among other things until I discovered some thing I had on hand anyway - Go-Jo white, the hand cleaner. good stuff. dries some after you soak patches and felt wads.

Okay, I was not going to put this out, but here goes:

When shooting a string of shots for score, try not swabbing between shots. Use a patch soaked in water that has a splash of Dawn dishwashing soap in it. The damp patch will get the load down and will not add all the goo that contributes to fouling. True BP does add some fouling, but it is not a difficult as, many of the lubes that people use.

I had been trying this with a pistol and got very good results. I have begun to use this for my .40 cal caplock as well and the initial results are quite promising. Being that humidity is quite variable, your mileage may vary.

I am not suggesting that you go with this for your next match, but I do suggest that you try it on a range date. I also would not use this for hunting.

CS

Being mostly from Louisiana, Georgia and South Carolina, I would be a poor source for that kind of info. I used a dry patch for deer hunting when it did freeze, but it was only in the 20s. When I was living near Chicago, I did not shoot much in the cold weather except for cartridge guns.

CS

I've been using vegitable cooking oil/ black powder solvent mix (3 to 1) in my fowler for a couple of weeks - Its great! Never used anything like it. Soft fowling, easy clean up.

I salvaged a very dried, very clogged, moderately rusted, Jukar percussion muzzle loader pistol. The unclogging has taken a long time but has finally been successful. I even safe the nipple. I think I am going to use canola oil for the patch lube and barrel treatment. I am going to use it for the screws, the trigger mechanism. Anything is better than the parched condition the old pistol was found. There were assembly and care instructions dated 1971. That makes me think the pistol was made in the 1970s. It does not seem anything fancy. But, it is my first black powder, muzzle loading pistol. It beats leaving the old pistol to decay in an abandoned house.

The good lord blessed us with a mouth full of patch lube. Spit is the most underrated lube on the market. Lube concoctions are numerous but most aren’t any better than good old spit. Most people refuse the follow the old KISS lube formula. Keep. It. Simple. Stupid. For hunting or loading/storing a loaded gun for a few days or weeks those oily, fatty lubes are necessary, but for targets and range time spit is king.

The good lord blessed us with a mouth full of patch lube. Spit is the most underrated lube on the market. Lube concoctions are numerous but most aren’t any better than good old spit. Most people refuse the follow the old KISS lube formula. Keep. It. Simple. Stupid. For hunting or loading/storing a loaded gun for a few days or weeks those oily, fatty lubes are necessary, but for targets and range time spit is king.
Exactly 👍

Latest posts

Back