• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Getting back into the hobby, maybe a stupid question.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darth Scaber

Pilgrim
Reaction score
I have an Italian kentuckian .50cal after loading and seating the ball, my flash pan will be full of powder. Is this normal/safe/problematic? I'm using fffg powder, just because it's all I could get. Touch hole fits a 1/16" drill bit snug. When I load it, I do wack the **** out of it a few times to be sure it's seated. It seems to shoot just fine other than priming itself.

First: seating the ball so hard is not necessary and that is probably not a factor into the issue of powder escaping into the pan. If you have a touchhole liner I suggest you purchase another and try using a smaller hole. This game often (always o_O ) fussing, fiddling and experimentation to get yer fire gun dialed in properly.

I have an Italian kentuckian .50cal after loading and seating the ball, my flash pan will be full of powder. Is this normal/safe/problematic? I'm using fffg powder, just because it's all I could get. Touch hole fits a 1/16" drill bit snug. When I load it, I do wack the Cranberries out of it a few times to be sure it's seated. It seems to shoot just fine other than priming itself.
I would use 3f and try a new flash hole liner. 3f is perfectly fine in a .50

I have an Italian kentuckian .50cal after loading and seating the ball, my flash pan will be full of powder. Is this normal/safe/problematic? I'm using fffg powder, just because it's all I could get. Touch hole fits a 1/16" drill bit snug. When I load it, I do wack the Cranberries out of it a few times to be sure it's seated. It seems to shoot just fine other than priming itself.
Yes, it can be a problem because you are whacking different amounts of powder into the pan, so your charge is different from shot to shot. Having different charges for the main charge is detrimental to accuracy on target, but it is not a safety issue. Are you using Swiss 3Fg powder? As noted, the Swiss is finer than GOEX or Schuetzen 3Fg. The Swiss powder will flow through the touch hole, while GOEX will not. This can be solved by leaving the vent pick in the touch hole while loading. Block the touch hole and use about a half pan full of priming powder which can be your 3Fg powder.

Go shooting and enjoy the experience.

I have read many times about plugging the touch hole when loading whether it's a with pick or a turkey vulture wing feather.
Then add your 4f pan powder. From tests I've read here, the difference in ignition between 3 & 4f pan powder is a few milliseconds. Not a big concern off a bench but maybe with a quartering 10-point. If you are concered about "Self priming" being a safety issue then you could put a patch in the pan with the frizzen holding it like I do

I always found that a charge equal to the bullet diameter to be most accurate.

Unfortunately, if one is going for deer in some states, the states often mandate a larger load than the caliber when hunting deer. For example the minimum load for deer in Maryland is 60 grains, even if one is using a .45 caliber rifle.

LD

I never thought the states regulated powder charges on muzzle loading guns. They don't in Iowa. I had a .45 that's most accurate load was .45gr. That's what I loaded. That load will break a deers back. I also have a friend that shot a large buck right in the front of the chest and dropped it on the spot with the same load with a .45.
It says a lot about the oppressive state of government when they start telling you how to load your gun.

I never thought the states regulated powder charges on muzzle loading guns. They don't in Iowa. I had a .45 that's most accurate load was .45gr. That's what I loaded. That load will break a deers back. I also have a friend that shot a large buck right in the front of the chest and dropped it on the spot with the same load with a .45.
It says a lot about the oppressive state of government when they start telling you how to load your gun.
EXACTLY.... 60 grains of 2Fg is a bit "light" if one is using a 1 ounce ball in a Bess, and a bit stout when one is using a 90 grain .390 in a .40 .
They also require 40 grains and a 6" barrel if one uses a handgun, so only one or two revolvers will hold that much and have the long enough barrel, limiting the folks to single shot handguns.

LD

EXACTLY.... 60 grains of 2Fg is a bit "light" if one is using a 1 ounce ball in a Bess, and a bit stout when one is using a 90 grain .390 in a .40 .
They also require 40 grains and a 6" barrel if one uses a handgun, so only one or two revolvers will hold that much and have the long enough barrel, limiting the folks to single shot handguns.

LD
You should try meeting the BP handgun requirements for Indiana. That I know of/have been able to find Pedersoli is the only company that makes one that does. I picked one up last year on clearance. A rather junky and unpleasant to shoot affair to be nice about it.

Latest posts

Back