• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Clearing the touch hole

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I don’t know if this subject has been presented before or not, but I have accidentally found a good way to clean the TH, so here it goes being 79 years old, flossing is highly recommended but I don’t like it, my better half found an item at Walmart. It is called a food and plaque remover and can be found in the toothpaste section next to the floss. Well, I have been a flintlock shooter since the bicentennial and at one time or another I have a flash in the pan! We have to get out the pick to take care of it. The remover is a little plastic piece similar to a toothpick but is flexible with tiny burrs on a stem and a small tab to hold on to. The advantage here is it is flexible and can bend in the flash channel even on a patent breech! Give it a try next time at the range! It worked very well for me! “Ozarkjim”

I don’t know if this subject has been presented before or not, but I have accidentally found a good way to clean the TH, so here it goes being 79 years old, flossing is highly recommended but I don’t like it, my better half found an item at Walmart. It is called a food and plaque remover and can be found in the toothpaste section next to the floss. Well, I have been a flintlock shooter since the bicentennial and at one time or another I have a flash in the pan! We have to get out the pick to take care of it. The remover is a little plastic piece similar to a toothpick but is flexible with tiny burrs on a stem and a small tab to hold on to. The advantage here is it is flexible and can bend in the flash channel even on a patent breech! Give it a try next time at the range! It worked very well for me! “Ozarkjim”
Those things are cheap and easy to carry. Never even entered my mind to use those. Good idea!

Mine is a piece of very thin piano wire with a small brass tip to hold onto. It's long enough to reach the other side of any bore.

If it works for you, go for it. I usually don't have to pick, but do not have a patent breech. If I do pick, I just use a piano wire with a dime size circumference bend grip on one end. If you like different ideas: This was listed at .99 cents.
Larry

1626997811364.png

I've used those little tooth cleaners for years. I use them to plug the vent when loading and for cleaning. If a vent is on the large side they will let the air out but stop the powder

This just proves...there are more ways than one to skin a cat....great ideas.

the little wire in the tip of my antler measure is .030 welding wire. works when i need it, which i haven't .
like the idea of those tooth picks though! have a habit of chewing on a piece of straw. always end up with a piece between two teeth. carrying those would fix both needs!

Attachments

• 20210517_110653.jpg
    20210517_110653.jpg
    374.5 KB · Views: 76
One of the main reasons flash holes get plugged is fouling build up on the breech plug face. When that happens the only sure remedy is to use a scraper to clean the crud off it to where it will clear the flash hole again. When the fouling builds up on the breech face a pick only makes a little furrow in it which will plug up again very quickly.

One of the main reasons flash holes get plugged is fouling build up on the breech plug face. When that happens the only sure remedy is to use a scraper to clean the crud off it to where it will clear the flash hole again. When the fouling builds up on the breech face a pick only makes a little furrow in it which will plug up again very quickly.
[/QUOTE agreed
Agreed!!! I will use a pick to get the gun to fire then. Scrape and clean. BJH

Back