• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Traditions lock reliability improvements?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robert Losekamp

West Harrison, Indiana
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Howdy y'all! Pretty new to the BP world and am soaking up great information from the forums, it's all greatly appreciated!

The rifle in question:
1000007649.jpg

Now onto the meat and potatoes. I recently completed my first kit from Traditions and while I know it's bottom of the barrel stuff I'm having a good time with it thusfar. However, with it being a lower end (compared to the beauties I see posted here!) rifle with a tiny lock I want to improve reliability for range and hunting use.

What would you recommend I do with it with what I have, I'm not going to purchase a better lock for this rifle (lipstick on a pig you know). I'd rather put the cash into my piggybank for a genuinely nice rifle down the road.

So far I've been mulling over:

1. Weakening the frizzen spring via the c-clamp method (it's really tight and my flint is gouging horizontal lines, sometimes not fully moving the frizzen forward). The steel doesn't seem to be very hard or is experiencing excessive wear from the spring.

2. Removing material on the heel (probably incorrect terminology) of the frizzen so it can physically move forward a bit further.

3. Polishing all surfaces where friction is present as well as the pan.

4. If the above fails to produce adequate results, drill out the touch hole in tiny increments or purchase a better quality hole liner.

I'd love to hear your suggestions, I really appreciate any feedback you fine folks have for me.

Thunk-Bang!
1000007739.png

Last edited:
Definitely that.
The weak spot for those locks have always been the tumbler/lock plate interface, without an inner bridle for support that one spot takes all the pressure from the mainspring as well as the brunt of the hammer falls force.
Polishing the inside of the lock plate and contact surface of the tumble and the sear helps a lot. Be careful near that raised area of the tumbler that fit's through the lock plate, (it's the main point of wear) you don't want to remove any material there at all.
After that it's about lube, those thing like plenty and keep it fresh, remove old oil with brake cleaner spray and add fresh oil frequently.
Another tip; When you have that tumble/sear screw set to where you want the trigger to break,, a drop of loktite or nail polish helps hold it in place

Necchi has good advice on this. They are actually decent locks and I have not heard any complaints from those that actually own and shoot them. Don't worry now about making any drastic alterations.

Definitely that.
The weak spot for those locks have always been the tumbler/lock plate interface, without an inner bridle for support that one spot takes all the pressure from the mainspring as well as the brunt of the hammer falls force.
Polishing the inside of the lock plate and contact surface of the tumble and the sear helps a lot. Be careful near that raised area of the tumbler that fit's through the lock plate, (it's the main point of wear) you don't want to remove any material there at all.
After that it's about lube, those thing like plenty and keep it fresh, remove old oil with brake cleaner spray and add fresh oil frequently.
Another tip; When you have that tumble/sear screw set to where you want the trigger to break,, a drop of loktite or nail polish helps hold it in place
Thanks for the tips! It's a fun little gun to learn on.

1. Weakening the frizzen spring via the c-clamp method (it's really tight and my flint is gouging horizontal lines, sometimes not fully moving the frizzen forward). The steel doesn't seem to be very hard or is experiencing excessive wear from the spring.

2. Removing material on the heel (probably incorrect terminology) of the frizzen so it can physically move forward a bit further.

4. If the above fails to produce adequate results, drill out the touch hole in tiny increments or purchase a better quality hole liner.
1. When a spring is bent past its (simplifying terms) maximum bend point it looses its ability to return and destroys the spring.
2. Removing material on the heel of the frizzen can work but you havent changed the spring tension merely how far the spring is bent. Typically this will result in a much shorter engagement as the tension is still there. A better option is to remove material from the spring keeping it cool. It is easy to destroy the spring taking too much off, getting warm, or just making a thin spot where it can break easier. Remember the tension needs to be relative to the main spring. Too little and it will get knocked open too much and it will destroy flints/not open the pan.
3. Polishing and a clean lock can work wonders. These locks are plagued by a very small frizzen (narrow) which even with a well tuned lock is not as reliable as one with a larger frizzen.
4. No need to think about this unless you are getting ignition in the pan and not the barrel.

My "suggestions" are to give the frizzen spring and frizzen a good polish, considering you have groves and wear it will need to be smoothed out before polishing. Dont forget the screw, in fact make sure the frizzen moves freely without the spring. Rotation is good, rocking sideways is bad. Clean/dress the frizzen and reharden it, lastly pick a good flint and install it correctly.

With respect, there's nothing bottom of the barrel about Traditions firearms.

Build the kits correctly and maintain them and the guns will last several generations.

Only mentioning this because lots of newcomers need a way into this sport and many of them aren't willing or simply can't afford 1,500 dollar rifles.

Good luck with your piece, OP.

With respect, there's nothing bottom of the barrel about Traditions firearms.

Build the kits correctly and maintain them and the guns will last several generations.

Only mentioning this because lots of newcomers need a way into this sport and many of them aren't willing or simply can't afford 1,500 dollar rifles.

Good luck with your piece, OP.
Don't get me wrong it's a fine rifle, perfectly useable but it's not exceptional. Perfect for somebody like me to fart around with while I learn more about the higher end options. I certainly wouldn't discourage anyone to pick one up.

Last edited:
I made a few mods to mine. First, smooth out the seam cast in the frizzen on the part that rides on the spring. Second, mine had a wave washer in the frizzen hinge. I replaced it with a plain washer as the wave washer added a LOT of friction. 3rd, you may need to change the profile of the frizzen where it rides the spring just ever so slightly. The frizzen should pop open pretty much on its own once the flint has traveled down its length and then stay open without too much rebounding.

Here's mine after reworking.

Last edited:
I have the same rifle and have had ZERO problems with the lock and it is 100% stock as it came from the factory. All I do is keep it clean and properly lubed. . I get around 30 to 40 shots with a black English flint (5/8"x3/4"). My only issues have been flash in the pans caused by fouled touch hole (not picking when I should) and fouling build up in the patent breech. Both are rare and mainly occur when shooting on high humidity day. Spare frizzen can be had for $30 if you ever manage to ware one out.

Rules I live by, " If it ain't broke, don't fix it " and " The best is the enemy of good enough"

Carry on.
138260-GEDC1439-2.JPG

I have the same rifle and have had ZERO problems with the lock and it is 100% stock as it came from the factory. All I do is keep it clean and properly lubed. . I get around 30 to 40 shots with a black English flint (5/8"x3/4"). My only issues have been flash in the pans caused by fouled touch hole (not picking when I should) and fouling build up in the patent breech. Both are rare and mainly occur when shooting on high humidity day. Spare frizzen can be had for $30 if you ever manage to ware one out.

Rules I live by, " If it ain't broke, don't fix it " and " The best is the enemy of good enough"

Carry on.
138260-GEDC1439-2.JPG
I get what you're saying. I can't help myself when it comes to tinkering and small improvements. I'm chewing up flints and the frizzen isn't looking too pretty after 25> shots so longevity is also a concern.

Howdy y'all! Pretty new to the BP world and am soaking up great information from the forums, it's all greatly appreciated!

The rifle in question:View attachment 269412

Now onto the meat and potatoes. I recently completed my first kit from Traditions and while I know it's bottom of the barrel stuff I'm having a good time with it thusfar. However, with it being a lower end (compared to the beauties I see posted here!) rifle with a tiny lock I want to improve reliability for range and hunting use.

What would you recommend I do with it with what I have, I'm not going to purchase a better lock for this rifle (lipstick on a pig you know). I'd rather put the cash into my piggybank for a genuinely nice rifle down the road.

So far I've been mulling over:

I'd love to hear your suggestions, I really appreciate any feedback you fine folks have for me.

Thunk-Bang!
View attachment 269413

I’ve worked on a few traditions locks.

They’re machined pretty well.

The most common issues I’ve found with them is the burrs between the inside of the bridle, tumbler and fly.

I’ve deburred them by shot peening with 1mm stainless steel shot in a tumbler, the action is improved ten fold, same procedures done on other parts including the frizzen.

Frizzens benefit from case hardening (not carburizing) , quenched in oil and then tempered at 370-400 will throw a reliable shower of sparks.

reshape the frizen foot to open farther , weaken frizen spring and polish all baring surfaces
DSC03300 (3) - Copy.JPG
red rifle 100yrds.JPG
100 yrds tallow lube # 40 pocket drill patch 490 ball 3f swiss 65grns sight in target shot the 2 to the right moved sight high right then final sight move down the middle with a flinch

Very true. "Discretionary income" is getting more difficult to come by and the Traditions guns I've had in my life (at least five) worked well. My 2 centavos to this discussion is the Trad flinter, I used Tracks hardening compound and it was much more reliable after having done it.

Latest posts

Back